Stephen Minch's Tommy Wonder article

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Stephen Minch's Tommy Wonder article

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 8:00 am

I'm not normally one for fan letters but... the moving memoriam for Tommy Wonder by Stephen Minch in the September Genii is a work of art. In this case, the cliche' is true- I couldn't put it down.

The true nature of friendship is exposed on the printed page for all to see. Call someone near to you soon.

Mr. Minch, thank you for sharing.

Re: Stephen Minch's Tommy Wonder article

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2006, 5:16 pm

This was an excellent article about a man whom I called a friend. There were incredible insights here.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 3:41 pm

I was totally moved and motivated, Thank you.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 4:19 pm

Excellent tribute, Mr. Minch. I felt the loss when I heard the news about Tommy...but, after reading your article, the loss is more profound.

Best,
Mick

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2006, 6:25 am

Mr. Minch,

Thank you for sharing your touching memorial to Tommy Wonder.

In the article, you mentioned Tommy evinced short darts of anger and disappointment aimed at people who had failed to rise to the high standards he set for the craft.

Could you expand a little more on Tommys disappointment? What was is specifically? Did he expect some particular magicians to ascend to an unprecedented level? Was he simply disappointed with the trivial attitude that still pervades magic?

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2006, 1:16 am

The story of Tommy passing through US customs with a packet of herrings reminded me of something similar I did in the late 1970's.

I was living in Dublin, Ireland and would be visiting my mentor Eric Sharp in South Wales, where I would also be collecting a van load of props and returning to Ireland by ferry. The customs at the time were very strict and stopped and searched most vehicles, so there was a strong possibility of heavy taxes.

I also wanted to use a rabbit in my show and couldn't locate a suitable one - a Netherland Dwarf. But Eric had a spare one. I also discovered that to import a rabbit into Ireland you needed a special form from the Department of Agriculture.

On returning to Ireland I drove straight to the "Something to Declare" section of customs, explaining I was importing a rabbit and had the necessary documentation. They directed me to the Agriculture section who stamped the form and sent me on my way - just as I had hoped would happen.

I used the same method twice more over the following four years and was then breeding my own rabbits.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Tommy was a good dude. I hung out with him a few times and he was very nice to me. Took his time helping with questions I had, even taught me a thing or two.

RIP

At least he is not in pain, anymore.

Return to “Feature Articles”