Thank you Richard Kaufman.

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Thank you Richard Kaufman.

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2006, 9:30 am

When I mentioned to David Ben that he had promised me a copy of the "Vernon Touch" but if he could not snag me a free copy I would buy one as I think it is inexpensive for all the material it contains. David just e-mailed me that two copies were on the way to me - thanks to you.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Thank you Richard Kaufman.

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 10th, 2006, 10:46 am

My pleasure.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Just skimmed and browsed through the book. It was a bit sad to read about all the people I used to know who have long since died. It was also most interestng seeng how far back many of the people whom I have met in this forum go in my father's life. You guys must be REALLY old. I am reminded of the story when the professor pulled out a sheet of paper listng magicians that he considered his friends, to show it to Johny Thompson. There were over 300 names on the list. "It doesn't matter Johny" Dai cackled, "I keep making new friends."

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I forgot to mention that all 300 had died.

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Thank God for all you guys who study and preserve magic history. For most of my life "The boat sails Wednesday,and "You took the ace of diamonds" were phrases I heard for years without knowing what the hell they meant. Thanks to your writings and postings you have filled in the blanks. If I can fill in some of the blanks in your memories and research -- I WILL BE GLAD TO DO SO. You gotta understand that the best stories belong to David Ben for the kind things he has done for me.

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2006, 2:24 pm

What is interesting to me, and this refers more to the book The Vernon Touch, is the number of people referenced in Dai's column who are right here on this board and who knew him 30 or 40 years ago or more. I value all of them.
Steve V

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2006, 4:17 pm

While not seeing through the distorting lenses of magic madness, I knew Dai Vernon for over seventy years. I dare any of you to top that.

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Let's be honest...you likely don't recall the first six years or so!
Steve V

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Never the less, I was there. Even then I liked the guy. I may have been too young to hsve any opinions about magic, but I did like the guy.

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Originally posted by Steve V':
Let's be honest...you likely don't recall the first six years or so!
Steve V
Congratulations, Steve V! Another invaluable post!

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2006, 7:49 pm

I'm hoping to write for Genii some day.
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 14th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Write for Genii? Just do it and include money and Richard will mail you one.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 4:39 pm

You may remember that when Dai was about 97 he used to say he spent ninety years of his life studying magic, having wasted the first seven years.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Some of you guys like what I have to say and some of you hste me. I have very little control which camp you have joined. I would rather hear from the guys who hate me than those who love me. I understand why I am loved but fail to see anything I have ever written is found offensive. Perhaps you will tell me otherwise.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » October 17th, 2006, 7:45 pm

This is not the way online used to be. When AOL came into being, it allowed people online to have a voice, when most should have kept their mouth shut.

There is no reason not to like you. You have a wealth of knowledge and you have been very cordial to all of the members of the Genii forum.

If they don't like you, it is their loss.

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2006, 1:48 am

I'm enjoying these posts, Derek. I met the Professor for the first time in 1972. He was the one who convinced me to go into magic full time.

I saw him again on several occasions at conventions, etc. He had a very strong influence on my performing. I enjoyed having him in the audience when I performed, as well. He knew how to laugh.

My father was a performer, also. He was a musician, and he spent a lot of time away from home during the first 15 or so years of my life. Later, he spent a lot more time with the family. But I understand the separation and the feelings it can cause.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us.

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Mr. Verner,
a few questions have occured to me as I have been catching up on all the previous posts. (Sorry in advance for any repetetive b.s.: I admittedly haven't read every single post that has gone before...)

--You've said you liked Slydini best; he usually fooled you, AND he entertained you. Further, you have seen tricks performed by so many of the "legends": What TRICKS and EFFECTS (as opposed to magicians and personalities) do you remember as slaying you? Was there ever a trick you begged your dad to do over and over--or were you, on the other hand, conditioned to hate...so...many...damned...tricks all the time?

--In "Guys and Dolls", Sky Masterson mentions a couple things "his Daddy used to say". What advice did the Professor give his own son(s) beyond "buy low, sell high"? (We all remember his advice to Ricky in the famous "New Yorker" article...)

--Can you relate ANY other Francis Carlyle memories, good or "bad"? You've said he was a mensch. Some people have that zing, but it comes and goes. I would like to hear more if possible.

--I can't remember seeing you mention the following chaps. Did you ever cross paths with Ted Annemann? Jarrow? How about Malini himself?

--I am sure you knew Sam Horowitz. What do you remember?

--Have you ever gotten to attend any of Ricky Jay's shows? If so, what were your impressions?

--When were you last at Canter's? The Castle?

Disjointed? Yes. Obnoxious? Hope not.

Thanks for everything,
Dave Cox
San Francisco

P.S. In 1978, when I was just a greasy teen-ager, I got to meet your Pop at the Castle. He was very friendly and he amazed the crap out of me a couple times.
One brief afternoon, almost 30 years ago. I remember it as if it was yesterday, and I am undeniably a better person for it. :cool:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 6th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Derek is not going to be posting anymore.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Feature Articles”