Shade

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Bill Evans

Shade

Postby Bill Evans » March 18th, 2003, 6:55 am

What great coverage of the upcoming movie Shade. Finally a film dealing with our subject written and directed by one of us. I can't wait to see this. And how about the choice for the Professor? Damien nailed this one from the beginning. When is the projected release date?

Brad A._dup1

Re: Shade

Postby Brad A._dup1 » March 18th, 2003, 11:04 pm

I wonder the same question. Is it planned to be released to most major theaters as well?
Former Vonnegut Character

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » March 27th, 2003, 2:16 pm

I agree. This was a terrific article, particularly for those of us who are addicted to both movies and magic.

The fact that these actors mastered in 6 weeks moves that some never learn in a lifetime is a testament to what hard work and motivation can achieve.

Kudos to David Regal for a wonderful read and to RK for a great feature.

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2003, 3:15 pm

http://www.rko.com/movies_shade.html

If you havent seen it already...

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » March 27th, 2003, 3:29 pm

Rumors abound regarding the fate of this film.

I have talked with a few magicians who have seen the film and they are upbeat and excited about it. Nevertheless, like many film projects, once a film is finished and has been edited, everybody else (particular the "money people") must be on the same page regarding its distribution. This of course is the final, most important phase. A lot depends on how many producers and power brokers (who control the fate of a film) are involved.

I read almost every trade journal about the film business and have not seen a release date yet, nor is "Shade" on any list for distribution and theatrical release in the next 6 months.

Right now I think there is some wrangling going on. For one thing, the opening sequence of fabulous card techniques (seen through a glass top table)that are seen during the opening credits is a point of contention. Some want this sequence cut. Some also want the movie re-edited.

The worst rumor I heard was: "This film will not even go straight into video release!"

Obviously, at this stage, these comments remain only rumors. Right now anticipation (among magicians) is high, especially since the Genii article has come out. All of us certainly want to see this film publicized and distributed. However, until we have authentic, from-the-horse's-mouth facts, we can only wait with great and perhaps nervous anticipation. Perhaps R. Paul Wilson, Damian Nieman, or Earl Nelson can shed some light on this subject while the "buzz" is still buzzing?

Onward...

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » March 27th, 2003, 6:23 pm

Jon,
Even though we are talking rumors here, do you care to speculate as to why some would want the opening sequence of sleights cut? Too esoteric or considered boring to laymen?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 28th, 2003, 6:51 am

I think Thandie Newton ought to start coming to magic conventions.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 28th, 2003, 12:16 pm

While waiting for "Shade" to emerge, check out "Rounders."

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2003, 11:56 pm

Hi Bill,
I agree with you! She looked stunning on set. She was wearing a red dress that was cut low in the back... I could hardly remember my lines... I mean my line.
How is Alabama these days. I do miss the South.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2003, 12:21 am

Your part in the movie made me laugh hysterically!

It's one of the best scenes in the movie. Adam you da man........

Best,

Nathan

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2003, 12:38 am

Well thank you Nate. You know I studied for months on that one line. Practiced everyday just to get it right....
And we did it in only 273 takes!

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2003, 3:41 pm

Yo Adam, only a multi-hypenated card god, musician, and world class mime such as you is, would have the chops and stage presence to pull off such a role. The camera loves you!

Just remember, the majority of my part involved following Ms. Newton around the bar scene. Who says the view is poor if you're not the lead sled dog?

--Randy Campbell

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2003, 8:57 pm

Randy,
Remember, there are no small parts.... only small dressing rooms.

Return to “Feature Articles”