Darren Romeo Opens May 28th

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Darren Romeo Opens May 28th

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2002, 10:55 am

Just a note to those who have read the article on Darren Romeo in this month's issue. According to various Las Vegas magazines, Sigfried & Roy's "protege" is scheduled to open on May 28th at the Mirage.

Has anyone out there seen his act? Being a singer myself, I guess the IDEA of a singing magician isn't necessarily wrong or bad, but I worry that it could be considered "kitsch".

Re: Darren Romeo Opens May 28th

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2002, 2:17 pm

I saw the show twice 2 years ago at the Flamingo Hilton and it was great! He really has a great stage presence and a great rapport with the audience. I heard only rave reviews from the laity in the audience.

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2002, 10:42 am

Darren is truly a great entertainer. Focused and personable in real life -- he connects with an audience across a proscenium with emotion not just demonstration!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 28th, 2002, 11:07 am

I was reading the Genii article on him and noticed he's from Long Island, NY. Does anyone know exactly where on LI he's from? I only ask because I'm from Long Island and he looks vaguely familiar...just wondering if he's from my area.

-Jim

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » May 28th, 2002, 2:06 pm

I saw him a couple of years ago at one of the magic conventions. I agree, when you hear that a magician is going to sing while he does magic, it sounds a bit iffy.

But he was really good! Got a great response from the audience, too.

I completely understand why Sigfried and Roy have taken him under their wing.

Jeff

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 4th, 2002, 7:15 pm

We had a singing illusionist at the IBM Convention some years ago and I thought he and the idea was great... wish I could remember names... he has a patch over one eye and I believe has just marketed a levitation designed around a bed.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2002, 4:21 pm

I saw Daren Romeo when he was starting out at I believe an SAM convention in Allentown,Pa. He was still in high school at the time. There is no question that he was impressive with his singing prowess and magical abilities. The act was very creative and he definitely has a musical gift! I knew then and remember telling people there that he is going places. Darren is not a clone like some of the stage magicians are today. He also is a very nice person. He will continue to go places magically!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 6th, 2002, 7:06 pm

Has he opened? It is past May 28. :p
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 6th, 2002, 8:14 pm

Darren Romeo "soft" opened on May 28. The official opening, press opening, is today, June 6. You should see some reviews tomorrow. He is doing Blackstone's "Floating Lightbulb" with Gay's blessing and advise!!!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Feature Articles”