Pete Biro - August 2007 Genii

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Pete Biro - August 2007 Genii

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 5:29 am

Thanks for the great article about Pete Biro.

Pete has been a valuable fixture in the world of magic and a well-kept secret in much of the literature.

One of Pete's secrets I still don't understand: How does he stay so much younger than the rest of us? (The Tabman and I look like higher mileage. And I'm six months older than Tabman. I wish I only looked that!)

Keep up the good work.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Re: Pete Biro - August 2007 Genii

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 7:27 am

Received mine yesterday. Great issue!

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » July 21st, 2007, 7:42 am

Great article and great pictures of Pete. Thank you.

There are very few people that think like Pete - his 'The Reel Works' column was the first thing I'd turn to because I knew I'd laugh from the humor and from the direct-connect between his brain and audience reaction.
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 6:37 pm

I throughly enjoyed the lead story about Pete Biro. David Regal's dry humor also enhanced the article.
Never realized Pete had such a large body of work. Pete, if you read this, can you give us some details about the Cary Grant picture???

Arnie

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2007, 7:56 pm

Cary Grant photo. Well, the action photo was screwed up as the photographer had laughed so hard he spilled a drink on his camera and didn't wipe the lens off!

The routine?

This was at one of the Castle's Acadamy Award Shows... Dick Zimmerman was one of the producers and asked me if I could come up with some kind of routine to involve Grant.

Well, being the official photographer of the event, I figured to maybe tie in being the photographer with the sketch.

So, Grant came on and used an illusion that didn't require much more than showing it empty and producing a girl. I think they borrowed John Daniels' Stove with the giant pot on top.

Anyway, there was a standard magic table onstage as well (this was mine with some of my then current act set on it).

Grant finished the illusion and I, acting like a Papparazzi started to fire off several flash pictures in rapid succession.

Grant looked over at me. I was almost on the stage at stage right by then... and suddenly I pretended my camera quit working.

Grant came over and said, "What's wrong?" I said, "Something is hung up." Grant said, "I know about cameras (he grabbed my camera) let me take it backstage and see if I can fix it."

He then walked off stage left.

Now I am standing there, looking stupid having just INTERRUPTED Cary Grant.

I looked over at the table and said something like, "Uh, I know how to do this," picking up my Chinese Sticks. I did them, then something else (I forget what) but the ENDING... was my original goofy Snowstorm.

There was a roll of toilet paper on the table with CHINESE CHARACTERS imprinted on the sheets.

I picked it up and said "I think this came from Air Force One." Nixon had just flown back from China, so it was topical.

I then started what looked like the standard Snowstorm in China... but NOTHING HAPPENED.

I waved the fan furiously, still nothing, then said, "That's funny, by now the stage is usually filled with confetti!"

Well, the gaff was Zimmerman said he'd have a batch of confetti above me and let it drop on the punchline. I told Dick "It won't be funny unless there's a LOT OF IT."

Well, as you can see by the photo THERE WAS A LOT OF IT.

Grant came out, laughing, and we took a quick bow, the curtain closed, then re-opened.

In that short moment I grabbed a handfull of confetti and put it into my mouth.

When we went forward for the final bow, Bob Barker, the MC came over and I said, "Thanks Bob" spitting confetti all over him.

Glad you asked. Thanks.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 8:21 pm

You are my hero Pete! Loved that article.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2007, 9:49 pm

AS Red Skelton used to say, "Let's not get sickening!"

Ah, just remembered the one other trick, the Driebeek Die (ala Ken Brooke routine).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 12:31 pm

I remember Pete doing that paddle routine during one of the strolling Olympics. It killed us!!!
Fantastic article on Pete Biro!

Greg

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 12:53 pm

This really is an entertaining issue. Thank you, Mr. Biro for everything over the years.

I really like your "card in balloon".

What are the odds of an occasional reappearance of "The Reel Works"?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 11th, 2007, 1:40 pm

I had thought of publishing a re-print of all the Reel Works columns (Racherbaumer has a complete file)... but doubt if it would relate to today's references.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Congratulations to all concerned on another exceptional issue.

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm

I just got my copy of the August issue today, and all I can say is that it was worth the wait. I first saw Pete Biro at the IBM Convention in Little Rock. I remember watching him do the egg bag and the bit with the table with the legs that came off.

Now, some 30+ years later, I count him among my magic friends. Without Pete's counsel and his immense knowledge of cups, (not to mention his wonderful contributions!!!) the cups and balls museum would not be the collection it is today.

Congratulations, Pete!

BTW, please put out the collection of The Reel Works. Even if some of the references are a bit out of date, it would do some of the young 'uns some good to actually look something up once in a while!!!!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 13th, 2007, 4:58 pm

The Reel Works would have to be put out by our friend Kaufman, altho I had verbal permission from the previous owners.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2007, 6:17 am

This one was the price of my subscription, awesome material as well an in depth look at a great guy. I would love to see a book about Pete in the future with all of his ideas, stories, pics and advice on how to be a good emcee.

Charlie

flynn

Postby flynn » March 14th, 2008, 5:10 pm

thanks for the paddle routine its the best trick using the paddle moves i came across

Damian Odess-Gillett

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » March 14th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Pete, I wanted you to thank you for publishing your "egg juggling" routine. I used it to great effect at a recent conference I emceed. Wanted to send you a shot the photographer got of me kicking up the egg in the second phase, but haven't been able to track him down...
Anyway, many thanks, it was a lot of fun!

chipper

Postby chipper » April 3rd, 2008, 1:57 pm

Hey Pete!

Needless to say I'm a BIG FAN of yours! You probably don't know it but you were one of a small group who I watched intently many moons ago when I was starting out. Just read your post about the Cary Grant routine. GREAT!

Hope we get a chance to see each again soon! Been too long.

All the best!

Chipper : )

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 4th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Wow... Chipster... next time we cross paths will grab you. I'll be at WMS.
Stay tooned.

Return to “Feature Articles”