Forte's Poker Protection

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Forte's Poker Protection

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2007, 7:56 am

I don't know about anyone else, but my trembling hands dropped the magazine when I saw the review of the above book in the Feb. issue. I ran straight to my computer, googled the title, and immediately ordered the book from Mier Yedid's Magic (postage was free!) Excellent reviews of what is undoubtedly a thorough (and extremely timely) examination of cheating techniques by an expert. Forte not only knows the stuff, he can do it which makes his insight even more valuable. I can't wait to read the book!
Mark

Re: Forte's Poker Protection

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2007, 8:00 am

An excellent tome for this kind of subject. My wife surprised me with mine some time back. I have been enjoying it and think you will too.

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2007, 6:42 pm

I haven't received the feb. issue of genii but came across Forte's website last weekend... I was surprised to discover about this book by pure coincidence as I didn't recall anyone mentioning the release of that book on the forum.
I received my copy earlier this week: it's a great read.
I was expecting (hoping) more descriptions of moves but it's not the purpose of such a book. The information in there is probably more valuable.

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2007, 7:32 am

You know, I saw the article and my first thought was "Oh no, ANOTHER book that is extraordinary enough to buy..." I'm already almost in the red for the history books and biographies.... Unfortunately that's still my thought! I don't usually buy books on technique, but most authors aren't Steve Forte.

Forte showed slides of his collection at the MCA meeting a couple of years ago and the time flew by, it was like fine artwork, just as incredible as the perfect second dealing I'd seen him do on tv or the write up by a gambling columnist of his dice switch...

Forte is amazing. I was grateful to read the poker book article.

--Matthew

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2007, 5:23 pm

I received my copy yesterday. It weighs almost 3 lbs!
Luckily, a relative brought it over in their luggage from America to the UK.
I'm impressed by how up to date the book is. It even discusses the recent moves to ban online poker sites, eg Bush signing an Act in October 2006.

I'm reading the section on ways of partly nullifying the 'scramble' shuffle. (I wonder if any magician has tried to pull off a full-deck retention 'scramble' shuffle? I would imagine that this is the kind of problem Lennart Green would relish.)

And there's another section on ways of manipulating a memorised slug of cards, given you advance info on the texture of the flop.
Or the reverse strategy of manipulating a slug of high value cards (eg Aces and Kings) so that they won't come into play - thereby increasing the power of second best hands (eg Queens).
This 'kill' scam is clever and does not require much skill.
The dirty work is completed unwittingly by another player who cuts the deck, consigning the slug to the bottom half of the deck, placing the cards out of action.

Most punters in the UK would not be aware of these possibilities.
The Holdem tournament scene in the UK is only loosely regulated.
For reasons of economy, Poker clubs in London - the Gutshot and the Western Club - only provide a dealer at the final table.
So it's frequently in your hands for the majority of the tournament. The person to the left of the dealer shuffles and offers the deck to be cut by the person to the right of the dealer.
In the provincial pubs, the rules are even looser. You get to shuffle and deal in one go.
My boy scout upbringing impedes me from cheating, of course, and I'm not advocating putting these methods into practice.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2007, 6:11 pm

Getting the crap beat out of you by the other people in the game if you're caught cheating is also a big incentive to avoid "advantage play."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Feature Articles”