Laura Comstock's Bag Punching Dog

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Laura Comstock's Bag Punching Dog

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2002, 10:59 am

Mark Phillips and I were doing a show in LA this past weekend and fortunately my copy of Genii arrived the day before we had to leave. Thanks to the Genii review of "Laura Comstock's Bag Punching Dog" we were able to see an interesting and fun show. I just want to second the Genii review and encourage you, if you are in LA or heading that way, to go see it.

The magic in it is used to help further the story - it's well presented and well chosen. One of the best lines in the show is when the fellow playing Robert-Houdin (Handsome Jack)says, "I'm dead. Want to see a card trick?"

Not only is the magic good, the story is interesting and the acting is excellent. Some of the singing is a bit iffy, but it's a heck of a lot better than I could ever do (trust me, no one wants to hear me sing!). It's all about the race to invent moving pictures and the magic and wonder of moving pictures at that time.

According to Mark, "people should see this show and ask themselves why most magic does not generate emotions or thought in the same way this show does." (that's a direct quote, he's sitting right here and having a difficult time signing on, so I'm putting this in here for him...I agree with his question though and wish I'd thought of it first)

SO, what we're saying is...GO SEE IT!!! Thanks Genii! :)

Re: Laura Comstock's Bag Punching Dog

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2002, 3:16 pm

Come on! Didn't anyone else see this show? Doesn't anyone else on this board live in LA? If so, you may not get another chance to see a thought-provoking show like this that has magic in it for a long time! Go, and let us know what you thought!
Mark

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 6:46 am

Just a quick question. I don't have the issue with me, but of the two ladies in the photo included in the article..is one of them on television in a currently popular program? Both look quite familiar, but one of them more than the other.
Rick

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 7:14 am

It just occurred to me who she was. Jillian Armenante is "Donna" on "Judging Amy". I just couldn't place her face.

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 7:53 am

Yep - that guess is correct! You win...well, nothing. But, hey, good powers of observation. :D There are quite a few people in the cast who have been on that show. Go see them LIVE!!! (did we mention that you should see the show?)

Return to “Feature Articles”