David Copperfield in Genii

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

David Copperfield in Genii

Postby Steve Bryant » September 18th, 2001, 11:49 am

Richard, great job on the David Copperfield article. Terrific cover, layout, etc. plus a really thrilling story. Most of us will never become a David Copperfield, but it's neat to get a look at what that might be like. (No photos of Ambre, though. Too bad!)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: David Copperfield in Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 18th, 2001, 5:57 pm

Steve, you have a one track mind!
I'd be interested in everyone else's opinion of the Copperfield piece in the October issue (both good and bad!).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » September 18th, 2001, 6:09 pm

I am curious: did Chris Kenner not perform solo? I usually see him do that, and he's great, and a nice contrast to David. And if
not, is this a permanent change?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 18th, 2001, 7:09 pm

Steve,

I went to one of DCs performances in Honolulu in late August. Chris Kenner did not perform. I was a bit disappointed in that, as this was the first time I had seen DC perform live and I was looking forward to seeing Kenner work as well. The show, however, was quite wonderful. I have not yet received the October Genii, so I dont know what Richard has to say about him. However, I feel that Copperfield has actually transcended magic (in the classic sense of the word) and is best described as a theatrical entertainer whose premise is illusion.

Regards,
Dustin

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Dustin Stinett ]

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 18th, 2001, 8:59 pm

It's my understanding that Kenner no longer does a solo spot. He only did his spot outside of the major cities. In the major cities, David continued to lower a video screen and replay one of his mega-tricks from TV.
Neither of those things occurred in the two shows I saw in Washington DC.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 19th, 2001, 11:54 am

At first I was dissappointed when I saw the cover photo and story subject for the October issue of "Genii" was David Copperfield. I didn't think there was anything that would be new or interesting in the article. When I sat down and read the article and interview I was pleasantly surprised. It gave a real insight into what it is like being a part of the Copperfield experience. Also some interesting insights into David Copperfield the magician. Unfortunatley since David doesn't seem to want to share anything about himself and his personal life, which is his right, there were no real insights into David Copperfield as a person.
Interesting to note that I remember seeing David perform in the "musical" "The Magic Man" over 20 years ago that ran here in Chicago before he hit it big. I have fond memories of that show and vividly recall the dancing cane routine he performed then. I still have the playbill and autographed photo of David from that show. I would have loved to have heard his perspective on that show and how and/or if it contributed to his early development and success.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 19th, 2001, 1:24 pm

Tom, thanks for your thoughts. The thrust of the article was about the touring show. We did get into a few other areas, such as the Tornado of Fire and David Blaine, but I tried to keep it as focused as possible--and it was still 20 pages!
Perhaps in the future we'll do a "David Copperfield, The Early Years" feature.
You expressed disappointment at not hearing about David's personal life ... what little time he has outside of performing is spent just like the rest of us: eating, going to the movies, spending time with his girlfriend, etc.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » September 19th, 2001, 1:55 pm

Ten to 12 years ago, I worked with a University of Washington professor who is one of the world's leading experts on marine corrosion. Give him a hunk of metallic crud and turn a video camera on, and he can talk literally for hours about what he is looking at. But as brilliant as he is in his field, he seldom watches commercial tv or goes to movies, etc. One day he found himself sitting in an airport next to none other than David Copperfield. People kept coming up and asking David for autographs. Finally, the prof had to turn to David and ask, "Are you somebody?" It would have been interesting to hear how David described "who he is" to someone who not only had no idea but also no idea of the state of magic today that David and our other heroes have created.

Ben Harris

Postby Ben Harris » October 11th, 2001, 8:56 pm

Richard,

Really enjoyed the Copperfield feature.
Found the "life on the road" angle fascinating. What a busy guy. What a well-oiled machine!

And, having not seen the newer illusions performed live, I really enjoyed the backstage and illusion pictures. It was fun pouring over them, mentally linking them to the text, looking for clues!

Great job.

Ben
Creator of the famous "Floating Match On Card" illusion.
WOWBOUND.COM - INSTANT DOWNLOADS

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2001, 3:37 pm

I just read the October issue of the Genii-Magazine because I am very interested about articles about David Copperfield.
I have read hundreds of magazines and news-papers about David Copperfield from around the world and I thought it's just another of "those articles". But when I saw all the many pages with all the great photos - I was surprised. But I was much more surprised when I had read the article.
WHAT A STORY!

I can't wait to read the future article "David Copperfield - The Early Years". I hope - it will appear soon!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2001, 8:23 pm

I hope we don't do too many of "those" articles in Genii!

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2001, 5:44 pm

Richard,

Congrats on a GREAT Copperfield article. His schedual is nuts. Did he say when he plans to slow down or take a vacation?

Return to “Feature Articles”