Max Maven Article

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Max Maven Article

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2007, 10:37 pm

I love the statement; "You know, magicians let me down all the time. But magic has never let me down."

BTW, is Max getting younger?

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Max Maven Article

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 17th, 2007, 11:10 pm

Originally posted by Tony Brent:
BTW, is Max getting younger?
No, but perhaps he's not aging as fast as we are.

The article is terrific, and I really like the political card trick offered. It should get a lot of mileage!

Dustin

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » October 18th, 2007, 7:04 am

I've enjoyed Max's stuff since that day I discovered Classic Tacklers and the Blue Book. I've enjoyed his TV work, seen him work a few conventions back in the 70s/80s, etc. But until this article, I never had any sense of who he was apart from his professional persona. I admire him even more now.
My hat's off to Steinmeyer (and whoever may have assisted) for this article. And those photos! Those Pre- and Post-transition shots remind me of Gene Simmons (Kiss)!
Just great, worth the price of this year's subscription.

One last comment/question: does Max chew his fingernails? I might could recommend a good hypnotherapist to help....

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Take a look at the photo on page 55...now take away the crazy hair, who do you see? Seperate at birth?

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » October 19th, 2007, 8:25 am

As someone recently diagnosed with depression, I found it gratifying how he dealt with that aspect of his life. Very brave, how he kept moving forward.

Jim Creighton

Postby Jim Creighton » October 28th, 2007, 1:04 pm

There must be about a million easier (and just as effective) ways to reveal a chosen Tarot card, but the Tarot effect accompanying the Maven article was a pure joy.

I was reminded of the occasionally quoted comments by Max about the magic of Stewart James -- something to the effect that the delights of methodology were sometimes their own reward.

He could never make the point any better than with this trick. I've been searching for my own Tarot cards. I may never perform that effect, but it sure will be fun trying to learn it.

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Quoting Max, "The difference between a book and a magazine article is the difference between a painting and a snapshot." Steinmeyer's "snapshot" of Max is a tempting basis for a full-blown biography. Well, maybe it is a bit too early for a hardbound copy of this surprising gentleman's fleshed-out background. Nonetheless, put me in the queue today for his complete picture.

Nick

Steve Walker

Postby Steve Walker » November 2nd, 2007, 6:44 pm

The first effect in the Max issue Electile Dysfunction is topical here in OZ due to the forthcoming election on Nov 24th. In the USA it will be topical for a year

I have used some of the Tarot cards from the second effect to do the first.

I use seven of the Major Arcana and use them to select a new ministry.

Plenty of scope for comedy

The Hanged Man .Transport Minister [a Poison Chalice over here]

The HierophantImmigration . initiation into the secrets of becoming Australian e.g. Have half your brain removed etc.[I should point out i'm English ,I just live in Australia.]

The Lovers Foreign Affairs

The Hermit ...Aged care

The High Priestess Womens affairs [Secret Womens Business a well known term in OZ]

The Magician .Treasurer

The one left has to be the Prime Minister .The FOOL [or the devil]

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » November 2nd, 2007, 10:59 pm

I'd like to thank Max for sharing some of his personal life with Genii and all of us. I found it inspirational.

Electile Dysfuction is a trick I'll be using for the next year at least. Great effect.

It must be time for another book collecting a batch of Max's best card tricks. It's been 17 years since FOCUS!
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2007, 10:29 am

A beautifully written profile of one of our greatest performers, inventors, and scholars. Many thanks to Max, Jim, and Richard for sharing it with the community.

Best,
Neil Tobin

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2007, 8:52 am

Hi;
Here's an idea for Electile Dysfunction. Use Kings and Jacks for the odd cards and a Queen for the president. (You figure it out!!)

Mathemagically,

Jim

Return to “Feature Articles”