Where Can I Buy Some Bicycle Backed Tarot Cards?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Where Can I Buy Some Bicycle Backed Tarot Cards?

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2005, 10:21 am

Does anyone know where I could buy some bicycle backed poker sized (2.5" x 3.5") tarot cards? I would like to be able to slip them into a standard deck of playing cards.

I searched online but found nothing. Ive seen red/blue bicycled backed ESP cards in poker size (2.5 x 3.5) and Ive even seen some Bridge sized (2.25 x 3.5) tarot cards online but Ive never seen any bicycled backed tarot cards in the poker size (2.5 x 3.5).

I know that the U.S. Playing Card Company, the company that makes bicycle cards, makes a set of tarot cards but although they may be bicycle backed, they are not poker sized (2.5" x 3.5"). They are the standard tarot card size (4.9 x 3.0").

Thank you.

Gerard

mrgoat

Re: Where Can I Buy Some Bicycle Backed Tarot Cards?

Postby mrgoat » May 20th, 2005, 10:57 am

Originally posted by gerard1973:
Does anyone know where I could buy some bicycle backed poker sized (2.5" x 3.5") tarot cards?
I'm sure Cards by Martin would make you some up.

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2005, 11:22 am

USPCC produce a fortune teling deck called 'Gypsy Witch'. Not exactly tarot, but they may possibly fit your routine?

Anyway, take a look here: http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards ... _cards.jpg

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 20th, 2005, 11:51 am

Birmingham AL magician Michael Baker makes up his own gaffs, for not very much money. His method was published in his Linking Ring Parade a couple years ago, and is in his lecture notes as well.

But he's a nice enough guy that he'd probably help you out if you asked him directly:

Myhalloweenmagic (at) aol.com

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » May 20th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Mark Allen's Creative Monte DVD may be just what you need. If you have a computer, Photoshop, and a good inkjet printer, you can make your own professional-looking gaffs.

Best,
Neil Tobin
www.SupernaturalChicago.com
www.NecromancerEvents.com
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » May 20th, 2005, 3:47 pm

Originally posted by Graham Nichols:
USPCC produce a fortune teling deck called 'Gypsy Witch'. Not exactly tarot, but they may possibly fit your routine?

Anyway, take a look here: http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards ... _cards.jpg
They do not have Bicycle backs.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » May 21st, 2005, 10:56 am

Buy some blank-faced Bicycle cards.

Scan your tarot card images and resize/rescale them to the correct proportions.

Print onto full-sheet clear labels from Avery, which you can get at StapleOfficeDepotMax.

Cut out your stick-on label and apply it to the blank Bike card.

These come out somewhat thicker than regular cards, but for a prototype or for a special trick using just a few cards, this has always been a winning approach for me.

JMT

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 21st, 2005, 3:17 pm

Originally posted by Joe M. Turner:
Buy some blank-faced Bicycle cards.

Scan your tarot card images and resize/rescale them to the correct proportions.

Print onto full-sheet clear labels from Avery, which you can get at StapleOfficeDepotMax.

Cut out your stick-on label and apply it to the blank Bike card.

These come out somewhat thicker than regular cards, but for a prototype or for a special trick using just a few cards, this has always been a winning approach for me.

JMT
This is pretty much the method that Baker describes.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » May 21st, 2005, 3:43 pm

I've a question about making the images on the clear sheets. Do you use a special cartridge in your printer or how long do you have to let the prints sit before they won't rub off? I have an HP Desk Jet and made some words to put on cards and they rubbed easily but after going back to them some time later they were okay. What is the desired time?
Steve V
Steve V

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » May 21st, 2005, 7:05 pm

I think that probably varies based on the specific labels you are using, the quality of print (draft, normal, best) that you are using, and the setting of the printer. There is a place where you specify the type of paper and when I choose the labels, it seems to work fine with minimal waiting. I suppose ten minutes or so.

I have cards I've made for specific uses which are a few years old and show little wear. Then again, I didn't make them to be used as everyday tricks. Made a few for a trade show here, a special strolling thing there... they don't get used for more than a few days. With a LOT of ink (as in Tarot designs), it may require a longer wait and a bit more care in handling. If they get wet, for example, the colors will run.

It's not a replacement for "real" printing, but it's worked very well for me for one-off projects where I need a special card.

JMT

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 22nd, 2005, 6:34 am

Has anyone tried the company below. The card stock is probably not very good, but for some packet tricks and some mentalism this might work.

http://www.newtscards.com/design_a_card.asp

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 22nd, 2005, 8:35 am

Many readers from this board will remember GeMiNi and the monthly columns. My friend Ray Haddad was one of the occasional guest columnists and posted a method for making your own cards using blank face cards and iron-on transfer. Chazpro obtained permission to "reprint" it on their web site, and you can read it here:

http://www.chazpro.com/MagiciansEnquire ... /STQA.html

Works like a charm.

John LeBlanc
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2005, 7:29 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies and good ideas.

I just thought that there would be someplace that manufacted them. I'm thinking more now about buying some blank Bicycles and just making up my own. Thanks.

Gerard

Return to “General”