First magic video tapes and Martin Breese

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
lybrary

First magic video tapes and Martin Breese

Postby lybrary » May 24th, 2014, 11:09 pm

To the best of my knowledge the first instructional magic video tape was Terry Seabrooke's "The Videot" produced and published by Martin Breese in 1982.

1) Does anybody know of any earlier magic video tape?
2) Does anybody know of other early magic video tapes published by Martin Breese?

I am trying to put together a list of early video tapes produced by Martin Breese. Another early tape is "It's Alive: The World of Tony 'Doc' Shiels" from 1989. It is hard for me to believe that Martin did not publish any video tape from 1982 to 1989. If you know of any other tapes please post here or contact me.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Brad Jeffers

Re: First magic video tapes and Martin Breese

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 25th, 2014, 12:06 am

lybrary wrote: Does anybody know of any earlier magic video tape?

"Secrets of Magic" was produced in 1971. A Ralph Edwards production, it was an instructional video featuring Dai Vernon.

Ralph Edwards is best known as the creator and host of "This Is Your Life" and as executive producer of "The People's Court".

lybrary

Postby lybrary » May 25th, 2014, 8:51 am

Brad, thanks for the info. 1971! Wow. That was the time the first consumer U-matic tape recorders came on the market. That's amazing.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 25th, 2014, 12:48 pm

In the May 1980 issue of Genii there are ads by "Videonics Ltd." for "Magic Lectures on video tape" including those by
Beoffrey Buckingham (2 volumes), Bobby Bernard 93 volumes), and Peter Warlock (http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Videonics)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 25th, 2014, 1:01 pm

The Oct 1982 issue of Genii has an ad for the video "John Mendoza Live in London", produced by Breese. In the same issue, Brian Flora reviews "The Wonderful magic of Magic" produced by Magnetic Video. Instructor is Bob Yorburg, with an appearance by Frank Garcia.

Abra 12/10/1982 has an ad from Breese for "Ed Marlo: Cardician" videocassette.

Abra 1/29/1983 has an ad from Breese for untitled Stephen Tucker videocassette.

Linking Ring 9/1985 has an ad from Breese for "Taking it to the Streets" videocassette by John Lenahan.

Later in the 1980s it looks like Breese was responsible for production and distribution of European versions of Tannen's videos, which may have meant he backed off on producing his own tapes.

(And Chris, I'm still working on your Lamonte question).

lybrary

Postby lybrary » May 25th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Bill, does it say if the Marlo video was produced/published by Breese? I imagine that this was likely also an import from the US.

Does anybody have copies of the Breese produced Mendoza and Lenahan videos, or transfers to DVD?

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”