Himber Linking Rings

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
nico26

Himber Linking Rings

Postby nico26 » December 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm

Since publishing my Linking Finger Ring Routine, I have quite a few people asking about where to get a really great Himber Ring. I just wanted to pass on the fact that after 30 years searching, I finally ended the search when David Regal released his Linking Finger Ring Project. The best rings ever made (actually two of them) and the only one I will be using from here on. As close to perfect as a prop can get!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Himber Linking Rings

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2012, 11:04 am

Haven't heard about Regal's Rings yet!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Sean-Dylan

Postby Sean-Dylan » December 2nd, 2012, 1:11 pm

As per David Regal:

The plot is simple: Three borrowed finger rings are linked together.

The Linking Finger Ring Effect, created by Persi Diaconis and Richard Himber, is one of the greatest magic effects ever devised. It captures the imagination of an audience and absolutely slays them.

After a prolonged development process, I am delighted to release what I believe to be one of the most elegant sets of props for the Linking Finger Ring effect ever offered to the magic fraternity. The quality is excellent.

The set includes:

1) My own version of the Himber Ring, designed from the ground up, that possesses a unique set of characteristics.

2) A duplicate gimmicked ring that is made in the traditional click-lock manner, for those who prefer this system.

3) A duplicate, un-gimmicked ring.

4) A detailed DVD of instructions, including a Magic Castle performance.

5) A set of precision made gimmicks with which to perform the astounding Koran ending of the effect.

6) A pencil.

So, this is not a single gimmick, but a set of custom-made utility gimmicks that give you all you need to perform a modern classic of magic: The Linking Finger Ring effect.

All is housed in a lovely jewelry box.
Last edited by Sean-Dylan on December 2nd, 2012, 1:16 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Removed link to private video. Should be posted by David, if he so chooses.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2012, 1:37 pm

I think that since he sent the link out in a mass emailing it's not that private.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » December 2nd, 2012, 1:57 pm

Okidoke.

Link restored HERE

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » June 25th, 2013, 6:53 pm

All due respect to David Regal, but Richard Himber and Persi Diaconis didn't invent the Linking Finger Rings. Persi Diaconis (I have never him met, only admired him greatly from afar) discovered a devise that made presenting the effect stronger and relatively easier to attain. He told Richard Himber about this who put it on the market. The effect predates this.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I believe what Persi discovered was a ring devised for people with arthritis that opened so it could be moved on and off the finger with ease.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » June 26th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Maybe one of the rings shown on: http://technical-articles.hooverandstro ... ble-rings/

JMD

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » June 27th, 2013, 3:01 am

John
What a fascinating article, thank you for posting it.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 30th, 2013, 1:27 am

I'm curious about the fuller history -- do we know if anyone was doing this prior to Al Koran? Mary Kodell has mentioned it as "Al's trick" -- and I know his gimmick was simpler than the arthritis ring. Was Al's work prior to Diaconis (as I assume...); is this his plot?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 30th, 2013, 9:09 am

U. F. Grant had a LFR effect in the Mar 1963 issue of New Tops. The gimmick was like that in a normal Linking Rings set.

Koran's (undated) manuscript for the effect is in the Sid Lorraine files at AskAlexander, and it uses the same gimmick.

The 1956 Ireland year book refers to the effect in passing, with no description of method.

The Oct 1963 Abra talks about Koran doing the Himber Linking Finger Rings.

Himber's effect "StaggeRing" starts showing up in ads in 1962 (see Genii Jan 1962)

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 31st, 2013, 1:33 am

Sean-Dylan wrote:As per David Regal
The Linking Finger Ring Effect, created by Persi Diaconis and Richard Himber, is one of the greatest magic effects ever devised.

According to Harry Riser, Perci Diaconis was perhaps responsible for more of Himber's effects than just the linking rings. To quote from an interview "Perci was probably the brains behind Richard Himber's magic stuff that came on the market. Like, I think Perci probably invented the Himber wallet. He's a really genius guy."

Interesting.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » March 10th, 2014, 12:11 am

Looking for a moderately priced signet style Himber Ring (David Regal's are beautiful but I'm just feeling out a routine and they're out of my price range for this purpose.)

Jerry Metzner lists one on his Magic Methods Online site that looks like the ones Bruce Kalver used to sell. Anyone have any info about these?

JMD

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » March 14th, 2014, 2:27 am

Ok, my last post got crickets. One more try. Anybody know anything about the Himber Rings sold by Magic Methods?

JMD

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”