R.I.P. David L. Bendix

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jon Racherbaumer

R.I.P. David L. Bendix

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » August 9th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I’m sad to report that David L. Bendix, best known as being the inventor of the “Bendix Bombshell Wallet,” died yesterday after a brief illness.

Dave, an intensely private person, was very active in the New Orleans magic community from 1950-1980. Over the years, he contributed many effects, ideas, and satires to various periodicals and was a close colleague of Ed Marlo, Arthur Hastings, Dave Solomon, and many others. He was also known for his sardonic and often brilliant humor. Roy Johnson (writing in Abracadabra back in 1972) wrote this about Dave: “Then there was Bendix ! To understand and appreciate 
the humor of Dave Bendix is difficult without actually witnessing him 
in the flesh. His approach is so sincere and serious that one has been 
led up the garden path without realizing it!” Dave was an active member of the Marlo Sodality and he wrote up many of Marlo’s routines and even illustrated some of the items. Dave was 78. Further information is pending.

Doug Conn

Re: R.I.P. David L. Bendix

Postby Doug Conn » August 9th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Sorry to hear that :(
David Bendix was one of the few locals that supported our "Big Easy Magic Co" he stopped in bout once a month, always bought something & always humored my interest in the "old days" ;)
Seemed like a very nice guy.
RIP Mr Bendix
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: R.I.P. David L. Bendix

Postby Matthew Field » August 10th, 2013, 6:31 am

Sorry to hear this. I always liked the Bendix Bombshell. Another link to magic's past is gone.

Matt Field

Return to “Buzz”