Sequencial Ambitious credit check

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Sequencial Ambitious credit check

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2002, 8:57 am

Can anyone give me the correct credit for the sequencial packet ambitious card routine?Was Jennings first or is the plot Cervon's?

Also, whilst Marlo coined the title "Open Travelers" was Bill Miesel's "Invincible" (The New Phoenix no. 362, Oct. 1961)the first version in print?

Thanks in advance.
Paul.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Sequencial Ambitious credit check

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2002, 12:02 pm

1) Bill Miesel created the idea of a small-packet ambitious card using the Ace through King of Spades. It was published in Ibidem.
2) Bill Miesel's "Invincible" appeared BEFORE Marlo's "Open Travelers," however Miesel was heavily influenced by Marlo's "Real Gone Aces."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2002, 12:04 pm

Oh, and Jennings got the idea from Miesel. Cervon had nothing to do with that, and only made his preposterous claim many decades later.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2002, 1:10 pm

Thank you Richard, I had seen that Marlo's effect appeared in The New Phoenix the year after Bill's, but wondered if I had missed something, it being credited to Marlo usually.

I was totally unaware he had come up with the sequencial ambitious, thinking that was Jennings. The query came about as I had seen a credit to Cervon in the introduction to "Ten Carot Diamond - No Refund" in Terry LaGerauld's "Pasteboard Presentations". A good book by the way.

Paul Hallas

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » January 5th, 2002, 4:44 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but could somebody explain the premise behind the sequencial packet ambitious card routine?

Sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Sean Piper.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2002, 3:23 am

Sean, each of the cards in the packet takes its turn at being "ambitious".

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 6th, 2002, 6:08 pm

Is it not also the case that as each card takes it's turn that the preceeding one is removed from the packet, thereby making the packet smaller in number?

Are there any versions that don't include some other effect such as the reversal in the Jenning's and Dingle versions?

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2002, 6:27 pm

Yes Bill, Miesel's "Ambitious Five" in "The Creative Card Magic of William P. Miesel"

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2002, 7:52 pm

Goldstein has an interesting permutation of the sequential ambitious packet trick in his excellent book "Focus".

Return to “General”