How to stick a coin in a German Box?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

How to stick a coin in a German Box?

Postby erdnasephile » June 14th, 2013, 9:38 am

To the Coin guys out there:

I have a silly question...

I need to stick a silver coin in the bottom recess of a German Box.

I think the traditional material to do this is sticky wax, but I was wondering if there were any better modern materials to use.

Also, is there any easy way to get the coin out once it gets adhered in there? The edge clearance is pretty tight with the Johnson boxes, so it looks like a penknife would have to be used. I'd prefer not to scratch anything if I have to remove the coin eventually.

Thanks!

Frank Yuen

Re: How to stick a coin in a German Box?

Postby Frank Yuen » June 14th, 2013, 11:27 am

I used Blu Tac for my Boston box.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 14th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Wax, Blu Tac, some kind of adhesive putty that will form to the shape of the coin and the box. I bought a used Boston box where the previous owner soldered a coin in. Wouldn't have been so bad, but I use Kennedy 64's and this was a clad.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 14th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:Wax, Blu Tac, some kind of adhesive putty that will form to the shape of the coin and the box. I bought a used Boston box where the previous owner soldered a coin in. Wouldn't have been so bad, but I use Kennedy 64's and this was a clad.

Yes, exactly--I use both Kennedy 64's and Walking Liberty Halves and am looking for the best substance that will hold the coin securely yet a) will be thin enough so the coin doesn't protrude from the recess and b) will be easy to remove intentionally and will not mar the coins or the box. I'd rather have something I won't have to dig out of the crevices in the coin, etc.
Last edited by erdnasephile on June 14th, 2013, 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2013, 6:04 pm

I think some folks use double-stick tape.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Hebert

Postby Brian Hebert » June 14th, 2013, 6:18 pm

I use wax in the very middle. Just a tiny little ball. When I want to remove it I press on the top of the coin at 9 and 3 o'clock with my thumbs, with fingers underneath while twisting the coin. It comes right out.
I find it works the best.
Once I had to put a lighter underneath to heat the wax a little but never again.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”