Digital June Issue Now Live

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Digital June Issue Now Live

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 15th, 2013, 11:45 am

Just a quick note--I'm off to spend the bulk of my day at the damn DMV.

The June issue is now live for computer users (desktop and laptop).

The audios and videos won't work yet on the versions for Android and iPad, or smartphones. Those should be converted and functioning by tonight or tomorrow.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Digital June Issue Now Live

Postby Ted M » May 15th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Love the Dani DaOrtiz column on fishing.

I hope you can keep him writing for Genii for a long, long time!

(The table of contents for the digital issue is showing entries for some full-page ads mixed in with entries for the features. Ex: Dream Lock, Complete Walton. Mistake, I hope?)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 15th, 2013, 3:03 pm

It looks like Sara Crasson is saying that an American court has said that "Zig-Zag Lady" is legally in the public domain. Am I reading that correctly?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 15th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Whether you're reading it correctly is a matter of interpretation. But I would say that it likely is in public domain.

As for ads appearing on the Table of Contents, I've just looked at it and can't see what you see. What page do you see that on?

Ted M

Postby Ted M » May 15th, 2013, 3:45 pm

In the left sidebar, I'm clicking the third icon down: 1) Archives, 2) Thumbs, 3) Contents.

Contents pops up a text menu of the features and columns in the issue. Some of the entries in that menu are for ads rather than features.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 15th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Ted, that's just the people at the company who prepare the digital issue and don't know a trick from an ad. I never pay attention to that list. You're better off looking at the table of contents in the digital magazine. All the links are live.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » May 15th, 2013, 4:28 pm

If you had more control over it, it might be a useful place to list the Audio/Video features for easy access. Right now it's easy to miss some of them.

I enjoyed Max's story in his audio feature!

He has so much knowledge in his head. Is anyone looking into technology for preserving his brain in a jar when he dies, for continued consultation?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 15th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Ted, I believe there are buttons that allow you to access only the audio and video content. The items are probably not labeled (don't ask me why! I label them), you can play "click and discover."

Terry

Postby Terry » May 15th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Uri Geller video interview with Matt Field is excellent!

Thanks Richard.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 15th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:It looks like Sara Crasson is saying that an American court has said that "Zig-Zag Lady" is legally in the public domain. Am I reading that correctly?

Judging from how incompetent Crasson is within both her own field and ours, she is most likely misrepresenting the case in the same way she misrepresented the Rafael vs. Klok case.

The whole idea seems insane.
If both party A and party B want to infringe on the rights of party C without consequences, then party A can sue party B for infringement and have the court declare that party C doesn't own his/her own work - without ever involving party C? That is the principle here? Any two parties can sue each other in order to steal from a third party with the court's blessing? The more I see of Crasson's work, the more it seems her "research" is paid for by Magic Makers.

In Europe: Depending on how Harbin's will was written, the Zig-Zag illusion is either owned by the Magic Circle or is orphaned work, and will fall in public domain around 2048

Return to “Buzz”