Oscar Chit Chat

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Oscar Chit Chat

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 2:29 am

Besides Richard, I know that there are a lot of movie buffs out there. Since one of our own was honored by the Academy, I thought it would be okay for you all to chat as you like about tonight's show (unless the chief says no, in which case he'll delete this thread). PLEASE keep it civil and the other usual rules.

I'll start: I was disappointed that Stewie Griffin was not invited to present. He looks dashing in a tux.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Oscar Chit Chat

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2013, 11:09 am

Hey Dustin,
I saw your boobs ...
I saw your boobs ...

That's pretty much what I thought of the show.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 11:12 am

I was disappointed that no one 'Jolied the leg."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 25th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Hey Dustin,
I saw your boobs ...
I saw your boobs ...

That's pretty much what I thought of the show.

Agreed.

After a while it just gets silly (and rather pedestrian)

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Actually, Richard HAS seen my boobs.

About 20 minutes wasted with Captain Kirk and a song about boobs (and, coincidently, the show was about a half-hour over. Hmmm...)

Best joke of the night...can't think of one.

Someone tell me again why Bruce Vilanch isn't writing for the Oscars?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Damn, Dustin, you're not supposed to tell anyone about that.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Another thing: Who cast Russell Crowe in a musical (and let him sing)?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 25th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Too bad the song in question didn't have film clips, a la the James Bond music.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Oh yeah, I do have a favorite part (other than Bill Taylor's honor): 1,000 years old and Christopher Plummer is still dashing and a class act. If only Old School Hollywood could never die.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 25th, 2013, 2:02 pm

The best thing about Oscar Night is the people who watched and endured it and then commented afterwards. This is when we all bond (like Bond on blondes).
I taped it so that I can fast-forward the entire marathon. I won't do this until the "water cooler babble" subsides.
Onward...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Don't speed through Babs singing "Memories." She still has the pipes. Another highlight for me. And she's been screwed by the Academy so many times that you know the only reason she did it was for Marvin Hamlish.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 25th, 2013, 2:12 pm

More babble: I think jokes about shooting a President in the head are tasteless and unfunny (Yes, even 150 years later, McFarlane).

The Avengers guys need to practice more...

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 25th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Ditto the Lincoln "joke." I also thought the last song was cruel, unnecessary.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Double ditto on the [ahem] Lincoln "joke."

As for the closing: Granted, they did it with the credits rolling, but the show was already a half hour over and burdened with too many poorly done "musical" segments (a couple decent ones, but the rest...

But that said, is Kristin Chenoweth on a new ABC show? Hmmm...

Finally, what was Billy Crystal's joke about watching millionaires giving each other gold satues?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2013, 2:55 pm

The Lincoln joke will always be "too soon." In the worst possible taste.

Streisand's voice is a shadow of what it was, but she saved it carefully for the big notes near the end, which she hit perfectly.

What really amazed me is how Shirley Bassey, at age 76, could still hit the big notes on Goldfinger. THAT was amazing. Her mouth opened so wide on the last note (the word "gold") that I could see her trachea.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 25th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Shirley may have hit the big notes but she sure hit a lot of bad notes otherwise. Her pitch is terrible. I saw her in concert at the Royal Albert Hall in the mid 70s and she was just as bad -- at the time I thought they must have spliced together 50 takes of "Goldfinger" to get one that didn't have any clangers in it.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » February 25th, 2013, 7:37 pm

I love the movies. My TV is tuned to Turner Classic Movies daily. (And by the way, TCM, why do you keep showing that washed-out print of Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Cant you get an HD version? )

I always watch the Oscars with few expectations. My friend said if the Dalai Lama were asked to host, hed turn it down because hed be lambasted the next day. Of course, we all miss Bob Hope, Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal, but Seth MacFarlane did a pretty good job as a rookie. He, of course, injected his personal frat boy humor and it didnt work all the time. He had some of his best lines towards the end of the show.

Some of the scripted banter was lost on my friend and me. We wondered, what was going on with Melissa McCarthy and Paul Rudd? And did "The Avengers" fivesome have their script stolen by a super villain?

But there are always the rare speeches, heartfelt and funny, that make up somewhat for the nonsense. Last night Ben Affleck and Daniel Day-Lewis came through on those counts.

Random thought: Why the heck was the house orchestra in another building the Capitol Records one?

And yet Adele whose performance of Skyfall was terrific managed to have a full orchestra and giant chorus. She has clout.

I liked the opening numbers but the Captain Kirk bit was more of an SNL sketch, and the gag went on too long.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was obviously lip-synching and the Chicago number was conveniently in the show because the Oscars producers were the same folks that brought us Chicago. (I also suspect that the Ted teddy bear was lip-speaking.)
(I wonder if the lovely Renee Zellweger felt miffed she was not asked to perform a number from "Chicago".)

Jennifer Hudson? She is a gem and sang truly live beautifully. The musical set ended with a rousing piece from Les Miserables with most of the cast performing (I think) live. Russell Crowe was actually not as annoying for me as he was in the film.

What was wrong with the sound during the closing credits? It was a strain to hear Seth's and Kristen Chenoweth's voices over the music, the song - to the losers - having some witty lines, reminiscent of Neil Patrick Harris closing number at the Tony Awards.

Dame Shirley Bassey made me say, Wow! (Part of me was surprised that shes still around. My apologies to her.) And where were all the James Bonds that were supposed to be there? And if they had been there, what would they have done? A shootout wouldve been cool.

Barbra Streisand as Richard mentioned knew how to use her voice to its capacity.

I was happy Argo won, as well as the documentary Searching for Sugar Man. If I had my druthers what are druthers? Id have a few more Best Picture nominees The Sessions, The Impossible and Robot and Frank. (Did anyone else see that one?)

It was tough seeing Jennifer Lawrence trip when she walked up the steps to accept her Best Actress award, but how come no one ran to help her? I would have leapt from the balcony. In the press room, one of the idiot reporters asked her why she fell. Ms. Lawrence flatly said, Im wearing a long gown. My foot got caught on the cloth. She probably wanted to add, You moron!

The Onion had some priceless headlines :
Unsuspecting Movie Stars Follow Fake Red Carpet Into Back Of Kidnappers Van
'Les Misrables Takes Home Oscar For Most Sound
240 Killed In Stampede After Bucketful Of Oscars Just Dumped On Stage

http://www.theonion.com/section/entertainment/?ref=auto

As Dustin shared with us, Congratulations to Bill Taylor for being recognized with the John Bonner Medal of Commendation by the Academy for his work in Visual Effects in film.

And finally, with no comment, heres Heidi Klum who was at Elton John's after-party.

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-conte ... y-2013.jpg

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/201 ... =227&h=341
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Return to “Alternative Media”