S.S.S.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

S.S.S.

Postby Matthew Field » February 13th, 2013, 3:39 am

I'm a sucker for gimmicks to produce smoke, so I purchased Shin Lim's S.S.S.

It's touted as "sleeveless" and it is, but your close-up mat is gaffed to the hilt and highly unportable. You don't work with a close-up mat? Another option is given. It doesn't use a sleeve, but YOU are gaffed to the hilt, and you've got to wear a gimmicked overshirt (buttoned), or jacket (buttoned). Not for me.

But that's not the reason for this post. Shin Lim is a talented performer. But he is a crap DVD host. He has poorly planned this DVD, with lots of "Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention ... ", lots of staring into space as he searches for the words to express what he wants to say, lots of repetition, lots of, "I don't know if you can see this on camera ..."..

We, the consumers, deserve better than this. A LOT better.

The idea of S.S.S. is not bad (though impractical for me), but this DVD is abominable -- almost impossible to watch.

I'm sure others, whose performing situations are different, will post reviews of the practicality of the method. But Shin Lim owes us a lot better in the future.

Matt Field

JKeppel

Re: S.S.S.

Postby JKeppel » February 16th, 2013, 12:14 pm

gee, when I saw the headline S.S.S. i thought it was going to be a discussion of the old Society of Stoned Sorcerers from Philly in the 80s

Stetson

Postby Stetson » February 19th, 2013, 10:15 am

So did I!

mehtas

Postby mehtas » February 20th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Matt,

Want to sell it, CHEAP ???

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » February 21st, 2013, 10:14 am

JKeppel wrote:gee, when I saw the headline S.S.S. i thought it was going to be a discussion of the old Society of Stoned Sorcerers from Philly in the 80s

I can't remember if I was a member, was I?
Any leftovers?

Return to “Buzz”