Chapeau question

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Umpa Duze

Chapeau question

Postby Umpa Duze » February 7th, 2013, 1:10 am

Hi All,
I have been trying to find a really high quality Chapeau for a little story telling routine. I purchased a commercial model made of black felt but found that it was not stiff enough to hold the shapes I formed (the head hole was also a little small). I then bought some felt and tried to prepare it with scene glue (watered down white glue) and found it to be too stiff and kind of brittle feeling. So, before going off and trying the do it yourself route again with glue watered down even more, I was hoping someone could either give the right formula or put me in touch with a commercial vendor who makes a good stiff but maleable felt ring.

If I do it myself again, should I use wool felt instead of the synthetic?

Also, has anyone tried using a ring that is different colors on the the two sides? Seems like it might provide some new opportunities.

Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Umpa Duze

Ian Kendall

Re: Chapeau question

Postby Ian Kendall » February 7th, 2013, 2:47 am

The hole in the felt is supposed to be cut to fit your head. Having a correctly sized hole goes a long way to stability of the hats.

My second ring (which was my first) was sewn, not glued. You might want to try that, but remember to sew in circles.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 7th, 2013, 9:44 am

Ian,

I do a troublewit routine and have always thought about doing a Chapeaugraphy routine in its place for some shows.

Are there any good resources for routines?

B
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 7th, 2013, 11:34 am

Harry Anderson did one on TV somewhere, maybe on Saturday Night Live?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 7th, 2013, 11:42 am

Brendan,

There are a couple of things available today; the Tabarin DVD is probably the most accessible, then the Roland Schopp book. Lybrary has a couple of ebooks, and in the early days of Genii Current Era there were a few pieces from a French book.

The best thing to do is get a ring and play with it. Learn the main folds, and find the easiest way to transition from one to another. When you have that, write a story to fit the shapes, using the ring to illustrate what you are saying. Then, practice like a bastard.

That way you will have a routine that is unique to yourself :)

Hope that helps, etc.
Last edited by Ian Kendall on February 7th, 2013, 11:43 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Gosh Darn Spelling

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 7th, 2013, 7:27 pm

The book you want is by James Hodges, the French genius. It is in the same series as his books on Balloon Animals and Sexy Magic. It's a portfolio, with the beautifully illustrated pages on glossy card stock in a folder.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » February 10th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Hi All,
I can certainly attest to the "practice like a bastard" part of this advice. I have found it a great deal of fun to try a whole host of shapes and to write my script along with the changes. I found Youtube to be a help as well as a number of other new and old sources. None however, provide useful detailed instruction on making the ring itself. Any chance the references you have mentioned above include that information? Ian, When you say the ring was sewn, was the sewing through a single thickness of felt? Or, something more complicated?

Thanks,
Umpa
Cheers,

Umpa Duze

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 10th, 2013, 5:01 pm

The Schopp book gives fairly detailed instructions on making a ring. I bought some felt, measured it out and then gave it to a friend who was a good seamstress. The ring is (I think) three layers of felt, with edging around the inner and outer rims. Mine is black on both sides.

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_in ... s_id=14736

Hope that helps some more :)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 11th, 2013, 11:09 am

An old reference: link

Return to “Reference Room”