Who is renewing Real Secrets?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Who is renewing Real Secrets?

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2013, 12:52 pm

In fact, because it is not the artist's actual name and the art has been redone, and because RS vets all its items with a lawyer (as any person putting anything on the market today should) I am fairly certain they are on safe ground.

I love the item--it's a great idea.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

RobertAllen

Postby RobertAllen » February 3rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

Ted M wrote:"Great things coming next year?" Like what, a bar betcha with several piles of matchsticks?

"Imagine never-before-seen miracles delivered every month directly to your mailbox. Imagine no further Real Secrets is here."

I gave them a $144 chance, and they had 12 months to deliver great things THIS year. They didn't.

Well they did say "imagine" :).

SuperMages new floating ball! Imagine doing a floating bowling ball in full light, with no threads, wires, cables, magnetic fields, etc.!!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 3rd, 2013, 3:24 pm

Yep, Real Secrets' marketing genius was in refusing to describe what they were selling, and allowing each person to imagine what they hoped it would be. Sell dreams, not products!

At renewal time, they have to sell based on the products they've actually delivered. Different ballgame.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2013, 5:25 pm

You can say that sarcastically, but I enjoy not knowing exactly what's coming until I open the envelope and read the instructions. That's fun. I have only been disappointed twice, so that's a pretty good record.

I'm going to organize all of my Real Secrets materials into a binder in the next few days.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » February 3rd, 2013, 8:55 pm

Genii scratches that monthly itch for me, and it delivers a wealth of surprises: unexpected feature articles, thoughtful performance material developed at length from multiple big names (Da Ortiz, Steinmeyer, Maven, Giobbi, Stone, etc), excellent historical explorations, additional tricks in Magicana, valuable review columns, etc. There's even some friendly and personable chatter from that guy who edits it, as compared to Mysterious Silence from the RS Powers That Be.

Genii is a monthly surprise smorgasbord at 1/3 the price of Real Secrets. That leaves me $100 to buy multiple hardcover magic books, or a year's membership to the Conjuring Arts Research Center with its wealth of information and Gibiciere, or even to try out El Manuscrito. And in my estimation, those other publishing projects do far more to support the well-being of magic as a field than does Real Secrets.

I'm also not a single-trick-buying guy, and that may be part of my beef with Real Secrets. Had they disclosed that they were mailing out only a single (tersely described, underdeveloped, barely-credited) item each month, I likely would not have joined, and their customer base would've been that much more in accord with their offerings.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2013, 10:18 pm

I don't have that perspective because Genii never scratches my itch since it's old news to me by the time it goes to the printer. But I'm flattered you feel that way!

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » February 4th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I have "googled" how to save the streaming video this month, but each shareware I try causes problems. If you were able to save this month's video, could someone please guide me to the software that worked?

Thank you.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Jeez, just install Real Player. Whenever a video plays, it asks you if you want to download it.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » February 4th, 2013, 2:53 pm

There's now a link beneath the video that says "Download".

Right-click that link and choose "Save As".

It should save as a .mp4 file.

Optionally, you may correct the misspelling of the creator's name in the filename.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Ted, I think we all now clearly get the fact that you're sensitive to misspellings.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » February 4th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Wow! That was easy. Thank you Richard (and Ted M)

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 4th, 2013, 11:41 pm

I see much of the magic from RS from a different point of view.

I am not a performer per se. When I perform, my persona does not and cannot change since I am in a workplace or family situation. I am who I am. My style is conversational and, while scripted, it doesnt seem to be. As a result of that, I really like magic that appears to be opportunistic versus contrived. (For this discussion, card and coin tricks, which make up the majority of my repertoire, are contrived since they use props and people expect me to do tricks with them.)

But when I can do something with things that are not props (the trick with the receipts that was in the RS issue of Genii is a perfect example), suddenly the magic is unexpected and that much stronger. These seemingly out of nowhere effects do, in fact, reach the miracle level that was promised by the folks at Real Secrets.

If I only get a few of these in a year (I neither want nor expect to add twelve tricks to my active repertoire in a years time), I am very happy.

Dustin

stereo

Postby stereo » February 7th, 2013, 5:19 am

I agree with Dustin and i think the same.
And it's maybe fun, but I largely prefer January and February items rather than the trick on the website of this month. I have absolutely no use for this kind of thing although this is a great tool.

I do not want RS changes his way of doing things, like this month, to finally offer card tricks and classic magic ... ( I am sure that the trick received in the envelope is, in fact, the real RS11 main trick and not the Bonus, but they changed their mind at the last moment due to negative comments on the RS10 and they did not want that people again say that this is still a kind of puzzle not really magic & blablabla. And it worked, people are now happy...)

But me I like this cool little props with jelly beans and receipts...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 7th, 2013, 10:58 am

Stereo, that because you are a Tenyo geek, like me. Many of the Real Secrets items seem like the Tenyo Specials.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 7th, 2013, 3:33 pm

As long as RS, doesn't start putting out effects with fake dim sum, I'll be fine!

AJM

Postby AJM » February 7th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Funny you should mention that...

stereo

Postby stereo » February 7th, 2013, 6:08 pm

It looks so real !

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 7th, 2013, 7:24 pm

The shumai dumpling in Tenyo's "China Surprise" does look real, but it looks like a Chinese dumpling served in Japan, not here.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 7th, 2013, 9:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJr0bwLV ... r_embedded

IMHO, the only way this trick plays if you have the guts (literally) to pop the thing in your mouth and swallow the evidence before the spectator can examine it! :grin:

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 7th, 2013, 10:12 pm

While the idea of having the pea and tissue look like the shumai dumpling, and then making the dumpling appear may have seemed like a good idea, it's a pretty bad and obvious trick. However, you have to remember that Tenyo's main customers are laymen in Japan, and perhaps this trick was created for them, and sold well to them. In Japan, this type of plastic food is ubiquitous--90% of restaurants have their entire menu on display in the shop window using plastic food. So, the fake dumpling is something that seems entirely normal to a Japanese person.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 7th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Good point--hadn't thought of that.

Getting on a plane tomorrow to go to a place to get me some real shumai!

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » February 27th, 2013, 11:44 am

Now that the majority contents of last years Real Secrets has been tipped via the internet, I wonder who will sign up and/or continue?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Oddly Bent, please send a link to my email address, moobooks@verizon.net, that explains what you're referring to.

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » February 27th, 2013, 12:29 pm

email sent

PS: I will not be sending any links to anyone else.

stereo

Postby stereo » February 27th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Oddly Bent wrote:Now that the majority contents of last years Real Secrets has been tipped via the internet, I wonder who will sign up and/or continue?

You talk about this pathetic and lazy review ? Nothing has been revealed, frankly, it's just crap. I do not call it a review.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 27th, 2013, 1:40 pm

The review of the first 9 months of RS (which I've also mirrored on my conjure nation forums) is very interesting and confirmed a lot of what I had been hearing privately about the project. Said review is posted over at the magicbunny forums in a topic entitled "The year in real secrets"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2013, 2:18 pm

So, I have read the various threads on the internet and blogs revealing the first year's items in Real Secrets, started by a miscreant on Magic Bunny. Of course, you have to take into account the fact that the guy who spilled the beans is carrying some odd grudge and is not a satisfied customer like most of us, so his words have to be taken with a grain of salt for various reasons, some of which I discuss below.

Anyway, I have posted a long response on Magic Bunny where this brouhaha started because I was libelled in the original post that started the thread. My request to the owner of the board was met with a verbal extended middle finger. So, I have written a rather long response which will probably be taken down, or taken apart, and I will be attacked as a stooge for Real Secrets. I am posting my response below so it remains available for those who wish to read it, and since I don't have access to either Second Deal or Conjure Nation (and can't find the bloody thread on The Magic Cafe), I give permission to anyone who wants to, to please copy and paste my response in those places.

In response to Oddly Bent's question: a most definite yes, I will certainly be paying for year two. I have also seen an advance copy of the bonus item that will be sent to all those who subcribed for year one and it's a killer.

Some background: Magic Bunny appears to be administered by Michael Jay, who has a habit of calling people who post things he doesn't like "retards."

Michael, my instant impression of you (I had none before) is that you're an unprofessional person for posting my email, which is private correspondence, in this thread.

And your knowledge of libel appears to be as limited as your professionalism. The person who writes something libelous is required to prove the statement. I don't have to prove that what he wrote is wrong: he has to prove that what he wrote is true.

The statement is indeed libel. I paid for Real Secrets like all the other members and I can prove it. I have never been given a penny, or anything else, by Real Secrets. I paid for Weber's Wallet and everything else they have had for sale on their website to members. Nothing was given to me, neither in terms of monetary compensation nor merchandise nor anything else. Nothing. Zip.

As far as the cover story on Real Secrets in the August 2012 issue of Genii, I thought the entire enterprise and somewhat arrogant attitude of the company deserved some attention. It was an interesting interview and I'm pleased with the way it turned out. As far as the free trick that was included, when I have an opportunity to give a trick or DVD to every one of my customers in the printed issue, if the item is good, I take that opportunity. My customers seem to enjoy those free tricks and DVDs. I have turned down offers from various companies to put DVDs and tricks in Genii because I didn't like the material or the company. But of course neither you nor the members here who have made uninformed remarks would know that ... but you think you know what goes on in producing a magazine, and you immediately think there's some naughty business taking place. But what evidence do you have of that? Do you see numerous ads for Real Secrets or items by Michael Weber running in Genii? No. You see NONE. If you did, you might say "That bastard Kaufman gave them lots of free ads in exchange for putting that trick in." But that is demonstrably not the case.

Or, are you implying that I was paid by Real Secrets to put them on the cover?
Prove it.
You can't, because it's not true. Not only is it not true, you don't have even the tiniest shred of evidence for making the libelous remark.

As far as Real Secrets somehow violating their non-reveal clause because they contributed a trick to Genii, well you should consult a lawyer before you make odd remarks like that because it's not true. Real Secrets members were given a different version of the trick with the receipts before it appeared in Genii so they wouldn't feel that they were not receiving a Real Secrets item that was being given away in a publication to which they might not subscribe. Real Secrets can choose to "declassify" (their term) an item. That doesn't negate the Terms of Agreement a member signs when joining. If you think it does, don't just yammer about it here--hire a lawyer and prove it. Otherwise please stop complaining when you have no knowledge of the law or the specific legal issues involved.

The initial post sounds like it was written by a whining child who was forced to buy Real Secrets. The person was not forced to do anything. You buy in, and Real Secrets gave every subscriber the option to cancel. If the person didn't like the items he was receiving, he should have just cancelled instead of letting them pile up. He has only himself to blame for having received a bunch of items he doesn't think are worth the money.

I can see that there's a lot of resentment here simply over the idea that Real Secrets is trying to keep their items secret so not every person in the magic community knows what they are. But that's their business model, and if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

I've been happy with most of the tricks, not all. My major criticism was that a "sameness" crept into the tricks and methods during the late second and third quarters of the year and the Real Secrets needs to address that. I think they have started to do that: the deck switch by Charlie Frye is great, not crap. (And while I think Christian Engblom's "Cooler" is fantastic, it also costs about $50--Charlie Frye's deck switch is one of almost 2 dozen items Real Secrets members received over the course of the first year.)

And as Ian has pointed out, all of the items including the videos that are provided on the Real Secrets website are easily downloadable. I have them all burned onto separate DVDs and tucked into the binder page where that trick is kept. As far as I'm concerned, getting videos in addition to printed items is a plus, not a minus. We have been given other videos during the first year, and I found them all valuable except for that silly thing with the table optical illusion. But it's really petty to complain about not liking 2 or 3 items out of two dozen when the rest of the stuff ranges from good to excellent.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. And that's why I'll pay for the second year of Real Secrets just like all the other members.

As far as the Real Secrets team being thieves, that is beyond ridiculous. They have gone to extreme lengths to credit everyone involved, which is why you see a list of names at the end of each instruction sheet. Everyone makes mistakes in crediting once in a while. EVERYONE. I'm guessing that they credited Fulves for Hypercard because he published it. No one knows who created it, so there is no need for credit beyond that. Would it have been nice for them to mention the guy who showed it to Fulves, probably. But that's a judgement call--not a reason for creating a scandal where none exists.

Regarding the Real Secrets party at the Genii 75th Anniversary Birthday Bash, I was approached by someone at Real Secrets and asked if I minded if such an event took place during free time at the convention. I welcomed it, of course, because it gave my convention attendees a bonus. And it was great fun. I was not paid by Real Secrets for allowing them to give the party, nor did I receive any merchandise--but all my convention attendees did receive a gift item from Real Secrets in the gift bag we gave to registrants (Real Secrets was one of over a dozen magic companies who donated items to the gift bag, and all of them received an ad in the program in exchange for that.) Everyone at the Real Secrets party enjoyed themselves--100 people! I didn't hear anyone in the corners bitching about the tricks, just talking about them and sharing ideas on variations and possible other ways to use the methods. That was exactly the point of the party.

In summation, the original poster on this thread violates the Terms of Use he signed when he became a Real Secrets member. The terms he signed were a legally binding agreement. Instead of being celebrated, he should be condemned because he broke the law. His gave his word, legally, and it's obvious he doesn't consider that giving his word means anything. So why should any of you give any credence to what he writes?

JimW

Postby JimW » February 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Richard, I cut and pasted your post on the Cafe. The thread is in the Latest And Greatest forum.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 27th, 2013, 2:54 pm

I posted a link to your response over at my Conjure Nation forums Richard.

I'm not a fan of the way the moderator over at those bunny forums went "over the top" with his accusations. There's a pretty bright line between idle speculation and outright accusation that I think he crossed. It looks like the actual owner of those forums has given him (Michael Jay) a 24 hours "time out".

I'm amazed that the whole "table illusion" thing was actually offered as an item by the RS team. From your reference to that, can we assume, that even though you don't agree with the reviewers assessment, that at least the list of items is reasonably accurate?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Chris, I can't comment on the accuracy of the list because it is written in such a derogatory fashion. In fact, just by making specific references to certain RS items in my response, I have also violated the Terms of Agreement, however I felt it was necessary because those items had been "outed" and named repeatedly in the Magic Bunny thread. I think the RS team will forgive my transgression!

You just can't have the owner or head of a discussion board calling others who post "retards." Michael Jay needs far more than a 24-hour ban.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 27th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
Some background: Magic Bunny appears to be administered by Michael Jay, who has a habit of calling people who post things he doesn't like "retards."

Michael Jay is a complete tosser. He has no idea about magic. See if you can find some of his performance videos. he makes Mark Lewis look good. Really. He is embarrassing. Pathetic. Talentless. His is like a Scout Leader doing magic for children.

Magic Bunny was run by someone, who then stopped doing it. Michael Jay is like a homeless person with nothing to do so he got given admin on it. He is ridiculously bad.

If you saw him perform, you wouldn't waste two seconds on him.

"His" forum is full of idiots that make the cafe look like it is populated by geniuses.

I'm so grateful for this place. It is like kobe fillet. The magic bunny is like a 2 day old happy meal. Only talk magic is worse. And that is saying something!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 27th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You just can't have the owner or head of a discussion board calling others who post "retards." Michael Jay needs far more than a 24-hour ban.

Agreed. I've had my moments in the past, but that's pretty beyond the pale.

I figured you wouldn't be able to verify the items, but thought you might have been given some dispensation by the RS team to do so in this instance. I've got source(es)(who not surprisingly will remain anonymous) who have privately satisfied my curiosity about the accuracy of the items listed.

I'm glad for you and the others who are enjoying this project, but I'm convinced (in no small part due to the your cover story and the sample effect sent) that it's not for me.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Chris, Real Secrets is certainly is not for everyone ... what is, except chocolate (and I pity the poor folks are allergic to it).

20 years ago, when all I did was hard core sleight of hand with cards, Real Secrets would not have held any interest for me. However my interests have broadened greatly since then. I mean, I'm now a Tenyo geek, so I really have nothing to apologize for these days! :)

PapaG

Postby PapaG » February 27th, 2013, 5:19 pm

mrgoat wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:

Michael Jay is a complete tosser. He has no idea about magic. See if you can find some of his performance videos. he makes Mark Lewis look good. Really. He is embarrassing. Pathetic. Talentless. His is like a Scout Leader doing magic for children.

Magic Bunny was run by someone, who then stopped doing it. Michael Jay is like a homeless person with nothing to do so he got given admin on it. He is ridiculously bad.

"His" forum is full of idiots that make the cafe look like it is populated by geniuses.

I'm so grateful for this place. It is like kobe fillet. The magic bunny is like a 2 day old happy meal. Only talk magic is worse. And that is saying something!

Irony must be completely lost on you.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 27th, 2013, 6:06 pm

PapaG wrote:
mrgoat wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:

Irony must be completely lost on you.

What are you insinuating, love?

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » February 27th, 2013, 7:41 pm

I'm in...and I like it
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 28th, 2013, 7:58 am

I'm in.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 28th, 2013, 11:26 am

My PayPal account was charged today for year two.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » February 28th, 2013, 11:33 am

Is there a chocolate subscription service anywhere? I'd go for that.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 28th, 2013, 11:49 am

Bill Marquardt wrote:Is there a chocolate subscription service anywhere? I'd go for that.

Lots of them. Google "Chocolate subscription".

Return to “Buzz”