Stamp Album Effect

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Mark Williams

Stamp Album Effect

Postby Mark Williams » January 27th, 2013, 12:08 am

A friend of mine is trying to find out who or what Company made a Stamp Album he has. If you have a moment, here is a video of him performing the effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R49swn0o ... e=youtu.be My friend would like to know if this particular Stamp Album was a marketed item and if so, when was it originally released and by whom? Thank you for you time.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
Once is Magic...Twice is an Education.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Re: Stamp Album Effect

Postby Gordon Meyer » January 30th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Wow, haven't thought about this trick in years. I learned it from the Mark Wilson Course in Magic and it was part of my act as a teen. This might just be a nicely made one-off instead of a dealer item.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » January 30th, 2013, 6:15 pm

That's exactly what i said. I identified the age of the book for him. I seem to think that every dealer made version of this effect that i have come across, has been constructed from a soft back album, and that the usually have a pocket in the book to house the stamps.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 30th, 2013, 6:43 pm

It's obviously a one-off home made item. No dealer in his right mind would make a flick book with a hard cover, nor would that dealer spend his time sticking in the stamps.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 30th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Quentin, I have in fact seen stamp albums sold by dealers of long ago, in a hard cover, with real stamps stuck to the pages. You opened the cover to get it out of the way and then flipped the pages.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 31st, 2013, 6:50 am

I stand corrected.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 31st, 2013, 11:50 am

Many of the older ones I speak of have black paper in them, which is highly acid-ridden, and crumbles to the touch at this late date. That's why, most likely, there are so few around.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Reference Room”