Info on LOSANDER'S "Animated Sphere" (floating ball) needed!

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Don Wilson

Info on LOSANDER'S "Animated Sphere" (floating ball) needed!

Postby Don Wilson » January 23rd, 2013, 6:30 pm

Don't know when this item vanished from production (seen on YouTube-Losander Floating Ball) a full size soccer type ball floats from a paper bag! Anyone know original price or current price, and if instructions are in English. Looks great on Youtube.
Thanks for any advise!
Don Wilson
16982 Alice Way
Grass Valley, CA 95949
plusmagic@sbcglobal.net
(530)477-5342

mrgoat

Re: Info on LOSANDER'S "Animated Sphere" (floating ball) needed!

Postby mrgoat » January 23rd, 2013, 6:41 pm

Charlotte pendragon will sell you a great floating ball.

Warning: she is unlikely to actually send you what you paid for, judging on past history.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 23rd, 2013, 8:34 pm

Tommy was actually making these by hand, so when he died, Dirk stopped selling them. They were, he tells me, quite difficult to make.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » January 24th, 2013, 1:48 am

I have this and use it from time to time. I think it is a good illusion if not performed too long. It utilizes a floating gimmick that is self-contained. The main problem is the ball itself looks like some sort of strange basketball or something in a bright red color. I have been working on patter involving the sun and its rise and fall and Inka sun myths and sacrifices...a sort of blood sun to go with the appearance of the ball. Stil have not crafted the right patter to make it interesting, entertaining, and short. Losander of course makes very good use of music and that certainly is a good strategy. Peace...Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Myron Lowenstein

Postby Myron Lowenstein » January 24th, 2013, 7:18 pm

I own this item. When it was available the retail price it was released at was $350.
I believe that Losander put out a version of this years before based on the Tommy Wonder levitation system (I remember reading reports of a German magician floating a "basketball like" ball pretty close up at his dealer booth) which forced Tommy Wonder to rush his floating ball out which was a pretty heavy plastic ball but used the same method which was Tommy's original design. This ball was distributed by Mak Magic in the USA and there were issues with it. I also owned one of those. At some point I believe they kissed and made up and jointly released Sphere. I saw Losander lecture in Jersey about 8 years ago when Sphere was still available and someone asked if he could perform it....he said it was too bulky for him to travel with for his lectures...Yes, it doesn't look like any particular ball that you've ever seen...but it does what it says on the tin and is much more practical to use than the actual Tommy Wonder commercial release.
Note- The above is my own opinion and take on the final evolution of Sphere. I apologize to Losander if there is anything I said that he disagrees with.

Myron Lowenstein

Postby Myron Lowenstein » January 25th, 2013, 2:15 pm

In answer to the original question-
Losander's Sphere didn't come with written instructions but with a DVD of performance and explanation-Tommy Wonder made an appearance on the DVD.

Don Wilson

Postby Don Wilson » January 26th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks for all your input! I just acquired a "brand new" one, still wrapped in German newspaper dated July 1999. Wonder if anyone tried spraypainting the ball white, it would look just like a volley ball or soccer ball?? Your help is appreciated! Don

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”