Visiting…With Huell Howser & The Chamber of Secrets

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Edward Pungot

Visiting…With Huell Howser & The Chamber of Secrets

Postby Edward Pungot » January 23rd, 2013, 11:56 am

Although Huell never did an episode on the Magic Castle, this episode of California's Gold takes you inside the workshop of John Gaughan. If you enjoy Gaughan's column in Genii, you'll enjoy this episode where he shares some of his treasures, including various automata. R.I.P. Huell and thanks for sharing the magic of Southern California. http://www.calgold.com/visiting/Default.asp?Series=1000&Show=590

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Re: Visiting…With Huell Howser & The Chamber of Secrets

Postby JohnCox » January 23rd, 2013, 4:36 pm

Wow. How could I have never seen this? I'm a big Huell fan. It appears this is only available on VHS.

Always wondered why Huell never visited the Castle.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » January 23rd, 2013, 4:53 pm

Huell was great and I'm surprised as well that he never made it to the castle. For those of you outside the CA area think Charles Kuralt but his road was the state of CA. Huell just passed away and the memories of him and his warm smile are filling the media here. Edward, thanks for posting this.
Peace, Joe

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 23rd, 2013, 5:58 pm

Huell was at the Nashville NBC affiliate in the mid-late 1970s. I'd occasionally see him around town -- the flea market, Nashville Sounds baseball games. He was the same off camera as on, and everyone loved him.

That was a great local news crew. Huell did features. Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune) did weather. Dan Miller (Sajak's sidekick on his talk show, hosted Miller and Co. on TNN, which was a very low-key talk show, did some news in the LA market) was the anchor. John Tesh (of Entertainment Tonight) did some reporting, and was an alternate anchor. Lonnie Lardner was a reporter (a knock out, she did a story from my high school and we were walking out of class to watch); she also went to LA for a while. Carol Marin was a co-anchor, and moved on to Chicago where she still is, I believe. Oprah Winfrey was a reporter on another station (CBS affiliate, I think). And later on, Robin Roberts (of ESPN and ABC, now fighting cancer) was on the NBC affiliate.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » May 7th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:Although Huell never did an episode on the Magic Castle, this episode of California's Gold takes you inside the workshop of John Gaughan. If you enjoy Gaughan's column in Genii, you'll enjoy this episode where he shares some of his treasures, including various automata. R.I.P. Huell and thanks for sharing the magic of Southern California. http://www.calgold.com/visiting/Default.asp?Series=1000&Show=590

Does anyone know what year Huell visited John?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 7th, 2013, 6:55 pm

From looking at the comments about the other episodes filmed that season (1000 series), it looks like it happened in 2002.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » May 7th, 2013, 9:18 pm

I have an original VHS copy of this...will put it up for sale on the Collectors Board in the next few days.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » May 10th, 2013, 6:06 pm

The episode recently repeated and my DVR showed it as 2006, so that's the date I'm going with.

A little taste of it here:
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/05 ... mazin.html

Return to “Alternative Media”