ART OF MODERN CONJURING

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

ART OF MODERN CONJURING

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 8:09 am

P BATTY IS THE HIDDEN AUTHOR OF THIS BOOK AND HAS SIGNED IN THE SAME WAY AS E S ANDREWS DID.
THE BOOK WAS MEANT FOR ENGALAND.
CAN ANYONE EXPAND ON THIS.
EVEN YOU ROSIE

Re: ART OF MODERN CONJURING

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 12:25 pm

By golly that is good enough for me. Batty wrote Expert and the Card Table. Thanks Chewi!
Steve V

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 29th, 2005, 12:39 pm

Originally posted by CHEWI:
P BATTY IS THE HIDDEN AUTHOR OF THIS BOOK AND HAS SIGNED IN THE SAME WAY AS E S ANDREWS DID.
THE BOOK WAS MEANT FOR ENGALAND.
CAN ANYONE EXPAND ON THIS.
EVEN YOU ROSIE
Can you provide some page scans and perhaps a bit more context for this?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 29th, 2005, 1:02 pm

The only "The Art of Modern Conjuring" I can find is written by Henri Garenne. Does not appear to be an anagram for P. Batty.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 29th, 2005, 1:14 pm

I believe that there was another "Art of Modern Conjuring" that was written by an anonymous author.

More details here (courtesy Richard Hatch): http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 055#000000

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 1:44 pm

stev v,s w erdnase wrote expert and the card table as you know and p batty wrote the 1910 engaland edition of ART OF MODERN CONJURING.

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 1:47 pm

Dang it, I was hoping Batty was Erdnase.
Steve V

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 1:54 pm

glad to clear that up for you. anyone else got a question they need help with about my book! not the fictitous morbeous

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 2:00 pm

jonathon are you interested in my book and what would you like to know about the contents or the cover

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 29th, 2005, 11:28 pm

So there are two books with this title, one by Henri Garenne and the other is anonymous. Then, in neither case is the book "SIGNED IN THE SAME WAY AS E S ANDREWS DID."

Chewi, can you explain your original statement a little more? How did Batty "sign" the book? How do you know that it is by Batty?

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2005, 6:25 am

the signature is evident in the book by holding it up to the mirror and it displays the words"p.batty for engaland.
hope that will comfirm it for you bill.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » July 30th, 2005, 12:18 pm

Hey Chewi,

Have you contacted Morbeus? He's apparently in your neck of the woods and has the same book that you have. Maybe you can compare notes with him as he seems to think his book is very rare. Who knows you might be right around the corner from him. Wouldn't that be something?

Have a few questions about your book. Are you saying the book is signed or that there is a signature printed in the book? Also is the signature "P. Batty" or "P. Bathy"? I only ask because Morbeus mentions "Bathy" and apparently he is the expert on this book. Perhaps your book was only owned by a person named P. Batty who signed it to identify it as belonging to him. I mean since the book is so rare you certainly wouldn't want to loan it out to your magic buddies without being able to prove that it was yours.

Regarding your Batty/Erdnase remark, you might have something there. When Martin Gardner interviewed M.D. Smith didn't he describe the author as being clean-shaven, slight, short (possibly as short as 5'5", not over 5'7"), middle aged (40-45 years old) and slightly batty ? Coincidence? Perhaps but personally, I think you may be onto something!

Oh, lastly, if you could provide more details about your book (# of pages, # and type of illustrations/photos, oh and a scan of the cover, title page and copyright page would be nice as well) it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to compare it with the 1910 copy of ART OF MODERN CONJURING that I have (mine's not signed by Batty/Bathy/Erdnase).

Thanks!

Frank

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2005, 2:16 pm

morbeous had at a time , access to my book. all bibliographic details will be posted sunday with page scans. anything in particular seeing as you have one too.

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2005, 1:55 pm

there are 222 pages, 31 plates and was printed in 1910, it was printed by ward locke and co or butler and tanner, the selwood printing works, frome and london.
this book is neither for sale or being valued
if you need to know anything else i would be only to happy to share what i know with you

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » July 31st, 2005, 3:28 pm

Have we heard yet from C3PO concerning this book?

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2005, 1:53 pm

i have the cover picture and a page extract as well as a photograrh from the modern art of conjuring. how can i post it on the forum.
or if you prefer i would e mail it to you.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 1st, 2005, 10:16 pm

I'm still wondering how this is like Andrews/Erdnase.

magicam

Postby magicam » August 2nd, 2005, 10:52 am

Bill:

When you compare this thread to this one http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 055#000000

... the similarities are astonishing!

Clay

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2005, 12:09 pm

I seem to have upset the good folks of this forum and i can assure you it was not my intention, maybe morbeous has alienated me unwittingly. My offer still stands and if you want to know anything abput MY book i will be happy to share it with you if not then thank you for your time and effort.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2005, 3:31 pm

I just read the Morbeous thread and the rest of this one and now I have the urge to leap off a building.
Steve V

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 2nd, 2005, 10:40 pm

Originally posted by CHEWI:
if you want to know anything abput MY book i will be happy to share it with you
I would like to know how P. Batty signed the book in the same way E. S. Andrews did. What is the similarity?

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » August 3rd, 2005, 5:52 am

This thread is a MOBIUS STRIP.....it ain't ever gonna end!!

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2005, 1:39 pm

i was looking for advive and help on my book not sarcastic replies sorry for your time

magicam

Postby magicam » August 3rd, 2005, 7:25 pm

CHEWI:

At the risk of proving that Im a fool, Ill give you the benefit of the doubt for a moment.

If you wrote more clearly, you might get less flak. For example, you stated

the signature is evident in the book by holding it up to the mirror and it displays the words"p.batty for engaland
But that wasnt very helpful. What page or part of the book do you hold up to the mirror? Where on that page/part of the book is the p. batty found?

Also, what makes you think that P BATTY IS THE HIDDEN AUTHOR OF THIS BOOK AND HAS SIGNED IN THE SAME WAY AS E S ANDREWS DID?

Try answering the questions posed to you in a direct and clear manner and you might get a different response.

Clay

Return to “General”