The Real Magic Roadshow

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Paul Richards

The Real Magic Roadshow

Postby Paul Richards » January 1st, 2013, 1:18 pm

Happy New Year everyone! For the last several months Ive been working on a new project that Im very proud of. Ive assembled a select group of magic dealers and creators for a series of one day retail magic expos. The event is called The Real Magic Roadshow and we'd love to have you join us! Youll have a chance to see and buy magic from some of the industries leading dealers including Mark Mason of JB Magic, Chris Smith of Magic Smith, Dirk Losander, and of course - my company, Elmwood Magic. Each of our first six cities will also feature at least one local dealer and registration is open now.

Heres the best part - if you pre-register now, we pay YOU to attend! Here's how it works...

The cost to attend the Real Magic Roadshow is only $10. But if you pre-register NOW well issue you a $20 Gift Card for use the day of the event! Spend an hour or spend the day, either way you risk nothing and youre guaranteed a great time too. But act fast - registration for each city is limited and, with this great deal, space will fill up fast.

Visit The Real Magic Roadshow website for full details on locations and registration. http://www.realmagicroadshow.com

Spread the word, The Real Magic Roadshow is heading your way!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Real Magic Roadshow

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2013, 1:49 pm

Six locations, but no Washington DC! :(
Great idea, though, and good luck!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » January 1st, 2013, 1:54 pm

Thanks Richard!

The first six cities are sort of a test to see if there is enough interest in the event. If there is - and I believe there will be - we will definitely continue and I promise the DC area will eventually be among them.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 1st, 2013, 2:16 pm

GREAT idea! So Cal is waiting... BIG market out here...no money, but BIG!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » January 1st, 2013, 3:27 pm

Unfortunate for the local dealers in these towns particularly when they have supported these dealers by carrying a number of their wholesaled products. I guess business is business?

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » January 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm

Tom, I'm not sure what you mean. The local dealers are participating and we've made it an especially good deal for them. If you are on friendly terms with any of the local dealers involved, I suggest you speak to them before you rush to judgment. We arent opening a competing shop, we come for one day and were bringing attention to the idea that seeing real magic demonstrated LIVE offers something that the online world cant.

Not sure why you find that unfortunate I suspect the local dealers would say otherwise. As a person who operated a walk in shop for 13 years I would have been very enthusiastic about the event in fact any event - that gets people in my area excited about magic.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 1st, 2013, 3:59 pm

Tom,

What Paul and his team are doing is not a new concept, just one that the Magic Industry has not yet done. Local one day "shows" like this are common in other industries (food retailers, restaurant shows, etc. etc.). The company I work for has a division that organizes things like this. It's a very good marketing vehicle for local businesses that normally cannot afford the amount of exposure that a combined show like this can garner.

Dustin

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » January 1st, 2013, 9:04 pm

I wish Paul and this group with this new venture. For years as dealers, we have progressively seen our role in the major conventions diminished while costs escalate. Gone are the dealer shows, chances to lecture, or even have extended dealer hours that are not competing with every event going on. Many major dealers have decided it is not worth the money and effort to do a lot of the big conventions.

There is no substitute for a live demonstration of an effect. Nothing on video can capture the true flavor of the item.
You have a chance to see four of the best demonstrators in magic in one location for basically nothing with nothing competing with your attention and wallet. Sounds like a good idea to me. You can watch, interact, ask questions, and get a wealth of ideas and information that will add to your magic.

If my product line was more suited to repeated demonstrations, I would jump on this. I love nothing more than the time to talk with people and give them ideas for their shows.

Maybe the bigger conventions will realize what an important part the dealers are to the convention if this thing takes off.

Best of luck guys.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » January 4th, 2013, 10:00 am

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the well wishes. You're spot on about the value of live demonstration and we're hoping others will agree.

I'm very pleased to say that the response thus far has been very positive. I've tried to make this a real win/win for everyone involved and the only mystery card is - well - YOU! (The collective YOU, that is!) The only way for this to work is for us to have healthy attendence in our first six cities.

The sooner people sign up the sooner we know that there is enough interest to take this to other cities as well!

We're looking forward to seeing everyone and we certainly appreciate folks passing on the information to others as well. Thanks again everyone and feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » January 4th, 2013, 11:31 am

What Paul and his team are doing is not a new concept, just one that the Magic Industry has not yet done

...maybe not in the USA but this is fairly common in Europe going back quite some time; Mephisto Magic / European Magic Dealers Association used to run several in the 90's, Supreme Magic had a full time staff running a roadshow in the 70's & 80's. There's 2-3 "dealer day" events in the uk alone every year.

It is rather surprising that somewhere as big as the USA hasn't done this before though.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » January 4th, 2013, 11:54 am

Tom, I think the difference is that we're "taking it on the road" so to speak. I also think the way we're structuring price is unique as well. There have been dealer days in the US (and certainly elsewhere) but Im not aware of any that involved an organized traveling team going from location to location.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » January 4th, 2013, 1:59 pm

The EMDA events and the Supreme Magic "super days" were a travelling team who arrived in each city, took over a hall and turned it in to a magic supermarket with multiple dealers for the day/weekend exactly as described; as i mentioned at one time Supreme had staff who did NOTHING but run these events. I'm not decrying your event and absolutely wish you the best of luck for it as its remarkable that nothing similar has been done on that side of the pond before. I was just correcting the wrong assumption that the magic industry had never done anything like this before.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » January 4th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Wow, thanks for the information Tom! That certainly is news to me - and I'm pleased to know that it's been done successfully.

Sean-Dylan

Postby Sean-Dylan » January 5th, 2013, 12:48 am

I think that this is a great idea! Put New York City on the list.

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » January 7th, 2013, 2:01 pm

The NYC area is a definite if the demand continues!

As an aside, I have just added the Chicago details to the Dates & Locations. Updates will continue on the site regularly. You can see the current line up here:

http://www.realmagicroadshow.com/dates--locations.html

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » February 4th, 2013, 9:06 am

I've been overwhelmed by the interest and response to the Real Magic Roadshow and we have yet another great gift for pre-registered attendees...

All fully paid, pre-registered attendees will also receive a FREE copy of REEL Magic Magazine courtesy of Kozmo Magic!

REEL Magic is jam packed with amazing magic, interviews, and insight that you'll get nowhere else and my thanks goes out to Koz for providing this outstanding bonus gift. This addtional gift means you receive a $12 DVD, a $20 Gift Card, plus access to some of the worlds leading dealers and creators all for the low pre-registration price of only $10!

There is no better deal in magic - and we hope to see you there!

If you don't pre-register you miss out on the free DVD and gift card, so find a location near you and register now at www.realmagicroadshow.com

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » March 20th, 2013, 10:56 am

I just wanted to say thanks to Detroit for making our inaugural Roadshow such a great success. We had a full house filled with enthusiastic magicians. You’ve set the bar high for the next cities! Special thanks goes out to Wunderground Magic and ABC Magic Shop for helping to get the word, it was great to have them as our guests for the day.

Here's the remaining line up of cities and dates:

Pittsburgh, PA - March 23rd
http://www.realmagicroadshow.com/pittsb ... -2013.html

Boston, MA - April 6th
http://www.realmagicroadshow.com/boston ... -2013.html

Minneapolis, MN - April 20th
http://www.realmagicroadshow.com/minnea ... -2013.html

Raleigh, NC - May 4th
http://www.realmagicroadshow.com/raleig ... -2013.html

Chicago, IL - May 18th
http://www.realmagicroadshow.com/chicag ... -2013.html

For those wondering a bit more about the motivation behind these events, you may want to check out my recent blog post on the topic:
http://blog.elmwoodmagic.com/content/your-move

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » March 27th, 2013, 9:45 am

I've been so pleased with all the support we've been getting for the Real Magic Roadshow! Four cities left on the tour - Boston, Minneapolis, Raleigh, and Chicago. If we're heading you're way, we hope you'll join us!

Here's just a sample of what people are saying about the events...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... heDFYXlI3w

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 27th, 2013, 10:47 am

Waiting for DC!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”