Alan Shaxon has Passed Away

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Alan Shaxon has Passed Away

Postby John Bowden » October 28th, 2012, 7:17 am

It is with a heavy heart that I inform members here that Alan Shaxon, former President of the Magic Circle has passed away. Deepest Sympathy to his wife Anne and family.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Broken Wand -- Alan Shaxon

Postby Matthew Field » October 28th, 2012, 7:17 am

It is with great sadness that I must report the death of Alan Shaxon in the early hours of this morning, as reported by Brian Sibley, Chairman of The Magic Circle. Alan was a past President of that institution.

Alan was a good friend and an innovative magician, as well as being the face of The Magic Circle for five years. He played the part of a magician on an episode of the "Mr. Bean" TV show. He was a regular attendee of the Monday night meetings of the Circle and enjoyed showing the latest close-up trick or technique he was working on.

His two books, "My Kind of Magic" and "Practical Sorcery" are excellent. His innovations include the very popular Confabulation, the Shaxon Flap gaffed envelope, and the nudist deck which he handed out and gave away at the conclusion of the effect.

He had a great deal of the apparatus of the late Robert Harbin.

But beyond all of that, he was a nice man and a real gfentleman. His devotion to the Circle, his appearances on stage with his wife and assistant Anne as well as his daughter Julia were always memorable.

I last spoke with him in a phone call about three weeks ago, just before I left for the Genii Bash in Orlando. He was recovering from lung surgery and was in a cheerful mood, as he almost always was.

Magic has lost one of its greats. My condolences to Anne, Julia and his brother and family.

Matt Field

Marco Pusterla

Re: Broken Wand -- Alan Shaxon

Postby Marco Pusterla » October 28th, 2012, 7:29 am

Oh! What a bad news!

My condolences to Alan's family.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

hugmagic

Re: Broken Wand -- Alan Shaxon

Postby hugmagic » October 28th, 2012, 8:22 am

Very, Very Sad. I always enjoyed talking with him and watching him work. Such a class act. As a close friend of Robert Harbin, he gave a glimpse into Harbin's genius in his own performance. I know the last time he worked Abbott's I asked him to please write another book. His first two books will stand as simple but practical magic treatises for years. Watching him work from the wings and preparing his props was a lesson in prop management. A true, true professional and gentleman.

My sympathies go out to Anne and the family. Rest in Peace.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Brian Tanner

Re: Alan Shaxon has Passed Away

Postby Brian Tanner » October 28th, 2012, 9:59 am

This is sad news indeed. He will be missed.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 28th, 2012, 11:26 am

Alan was a quiet and gentle giant in magic. He was very generous with his time and knowledge and many performers in the UK and abroad are the recipients of his largesse. His charm and enthusiasm were infectious.

I met Alan only once in August of 2011 in The Magic Circle clubroom. A group of us had gathered and I was encouraged to present my Troublewit routine. Alan seemed particularly taken with it and took a few moments to ask me about the routine and had some very kind words for my performance. I deeply appreciated his generosity and interest in my work.

Performers here in the U.S. might only know Alan through his infrequent performances on television, most notably (for me at least) in the Mr. Bean episode "Mr. Bean Goes to Town" where he portrayed cabaret performer Eddie Spangle. He lectured to magicians periodically, and he produced at least one set of notes ("Lecture Special") but some of his knowledge and wisdom can be found in "My Kind of Magic" (1970) and "Practical Sorcery" (1976), both published by Goodliffe.

Shaxon was a pillar of magic in the UK and a constant supporter of up-and-coming generations.

His publications on magic will have a positive impact on those performers willing to seek them out and study them. The material is commercial, direct and displays a profound knowledge of how audiences "process" magic.

He will be deeply missed. My thoughts are with him and his family...

ajp

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 28th, 2012, 11:53 am

Sad news indeed. My condolences to his many fans, friends, and family.

Dustin

PS: On a "housekeeping" note, John and Matt posted at the same time (John's first by mere seconds) starting two threads on this sad news: I merged them, hence the two reports in a single thread.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » October 28th, 2012, 11:55 am

Another of the good guys is gone. This is very sad news. Just a few months ago Alan and I were discussing a rather unusual reel that he had. Those who have lived through some very good times in magic history are vanishing way too quickly. He has touched many over the years and will be missed. RIP.
Jim

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 28th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Scott Penrose posted this link to Alan performing Zig-Zag and Blades of Opah, both Harbin illusions, on a TV show hosted by the Amazing Randi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXVWlOvbUSM

Matt Field

Scott Penrose

Postby Scott Penrose » October 28th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Thanks Matt

Those who knew Alan will testify to the fact that he was gentleman both on stage and off. In addition, he was a mightily fine all round magician. A pleasure to watch and a pleasure to spend time with. We will all miss him very dearly.

regards

Scott

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 2nd, 2012, 10:23 am

The funeral for Alan Shaxon, MIMC, will take place at 1:15 pm on Tuesday 13 November at St Mary's, Church Street, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, KT12 2QS.

Following the service, there will be a private crematorium committal, but friends are invited to make their way to the reception which will be held at Burhill Golf Club, Burwood Road, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, KT12 4BX

The following link provides a map of the location: http://www.burhillgolf-club.co.uk/find-us

It is requested that there only be family flowers (although The Magic Circle will be sending a floral tribute on behalf of Alan's 'Circle Family'), but it is Anne's wish that anyone wanting to make a charitable donation in Alan's memory, do so to The Maskelyne Endowment Fund of which Alan was a trustee and the income of which "may be applied to provide monies for grants and bursaries to or for the benefit of Members of the Society in connection with projects or activities which advance the art of magic."

Donations can be sent to The Maskelyne Endowment Fund ℅ The Magic Circle, 12 Stephenson Way, London, NW1 2HD
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MickNZ

Postby MickNZ » December 26th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Alan appeared on an episode of Mr Bean as magician Eddie Spangle, starts around the 17 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWe8gQice4

Return to “General”