Galleys/pageproofs?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Harry Lorayne

Galleys/pageproofs?

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 18th, 2012, 7:21 pm

[b] Hi: Over the years I've been asked to sell the galley's (the pages I made my corrections on) and page proofs, etc. Seems there are those who collect them. I never bothered. So - I've sold my NYC townhouse and have a short time to vacate...during which I need to find a place to live and - the reason for this post - go through 45 years(!)of accumulation. I haven't really gotten into it yet, but just found galleys, page proofs, of the first volume of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION. I'm sure I have more, of other books of mine. So, someone who knows - can you fill me in? Are things like this worth anything, to anyone? Appreciate any information. Best - Harry L.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Galleys/pageproofs?

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 18th, 2012, 9:24 pm

If anyone wanted to buy that type of thing I'd be a millionaire!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 18th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Eventually they might be of value to someone who collects "paper." But what I see sell are usually original manucripts, not galley proofs. But I've no doubt that there is some little kid running around right now who will decide much later in life that he wants to collect everything he can on Harry Lorayne (and yes, even everything "Richard Kaufman"). The problem is, he doesn't know it yet.

So you're leaving the Jane Street house? Wow ... talk about an era coming to an end!

Is it time to write your autobiography?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 18th, 2012, 10:34 pm

They're not--nobody will pay for this stuff (or for the original artwork from classic magic books, either). Some people want it, but only for free. Most people are not remotely interested.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 18th, 2012, 11:38 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Into the garbage!

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » December 19th, 2012, 12:57 am

Having been a collector for some time of both trade titles and magic books it really depends on the author and subject matter. I agree with Dustin it will be something wanted down the road. If I had a chance to buy a Downs manuscript I would be interested.
Peace, Joe

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 19th, 2012, 1:32 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:...nobody will pay for this stuff (or for the original artwork from classic magic books, either).

Hmmm...I wonder what people would pay for the original artwork found in Erdnase...

One day, say 75 years from now, someone will be researching the ionic-cloudosphere (or whatever the hell "it" will be called) and they will find this conversation. And you and I will be found to be heretics for helping the one and only Harry Lorayne decide to S-can the galley proofs of some of his books.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » December 19th, 2012, 8:19 am

Harry leaving 62 Jane St. -- a great loss in the area of mnemonic amusement.

Fortunately, my mailing address is still #382, as I've tried to carry on the tradition.

(And if you don't understand what I'm talking about, get one of Harry's non-magic books and read up on Number Alphabet.)

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 19th, 2012, 12:26 pm

I wonder how many will understand, Max. Incidentally, I am getting some offers for the galley/page proofs and my original handwritten pages (I write all my books in long hand before typing). So, I'm holding off tossing into the garbage for a little while. HL.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 19th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Oh, I'd never spotted the mnemonic link before! I'd like to think Harry chose the address deliberately!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 19th, 2012, 5:19 pm

El Mystico wrote:Oh, I'd never spotted the mnemonic link before! I'd like to think Harry chose the address deliberately!

That's nothing, He's moving to:

EightKings
Threatened To (s) Ave,
95 Queens
One Sick KNAVE.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » December 20th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Never say never. The thought of owning some original artwork from classic magic books definitely tickles my fancy. What do you have to offer, Richard?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”