January 2013 Issue of Genii is Now Online!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

January 2013 Issue of Genii is Now Online!

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 14th, 2012, 5:17 pm

The January 2013 issue of Genii is now live online for computer users. (iPad and iPhone users please wait until tomorrow for the video and audio to be converted before downloading).

It's a great issue with a big cover story on Steve Cohen's TV Special , Lost Magic Decoded(3 embedded videos), plus a big write up on the Genii Bash from Dustin Stinett with photos by Kari Hendler (2 embedded videos), and my take on the new Tenyo 2013 line (4 embedded videos).

We also have a whopper of an audio column from Mr. Racherbaumer, plus a More Genii Speaks Video; a new trick from Peter McLanachan on video (performed and explained); plus a video jaunt through the dealer room at the International Magic Convention in London with performances by Woody Aragon, Angelo Carbone, and Bruno Copin.

Columns in the magazine include Tom Stone, Jim Steinmeyer, Al Cohen, John Gaughan, Max Maven, Chris Kenner and Homer Liwag, and much more.

112 pages of the best in magic from the largest independent magazine in magic, the only one who gives subscribers the digital issue for free, plus all 75 years of back issues for free.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andrew Pinard

Re: January 2013 Issue of Genii is Now Online!

Postby Andrew Pinard » December 14th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Great issue and a wonderful article on Steve Cohen's special!

Only one point for the fussiest of readers: On page 96 readers will find Jamy Ian Swiss's review of Steve Beam's Trapdoor 3 (a remarkable volume rounding out the set), but the photograph on the page shows the dustjacket of Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks VIII - another great book, but for those who still browse the shelves at their local magic shop (there are still a few around) be sure to look for the foil-stamped Trapdoor 3 cover.

(It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Beam may have sent Genii a Trapdoor 3 inside a S-ACTVIII as some sort of bizarre book test. I wouldn't put it past him...)

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 14th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Oooooo, it's hard to see Jamy Ian Swiss depart as book reviewer. His reviews were consistently thoughtful, chewy and not limited by the covers of the book in his hands. They were full of context, history and philosophy from the larger conjuring world, raising theoretical points which were then applied to the book at hand. I learned a great deal from his column over the past two decades, far more than just whether a given book was worth the money. He performed the important function of transmitting much of this field's culture and history through those pieces.

But 18 years is indeed a long time, and thanks to the online archive, that body of work remains easily accessible.

Thank you, Jamy, for your thoughtful writings.

magicalt

Postby magicalt » December 15th, 2012, 1:07 am

Wow January already,I am still waiting for the double issue in the mail.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Quite a few people haven't received the Nov/Dec issue yet. I wonder why the mail is unusually slow?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 15th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Agree about losing Jamy. He is one of magic's best writers.

Dustin did a bang-up job on the convention article. But, if I'd known in Orlando that I would end up being photographed next to Guy HollingwortH (see p 59), I would have figured out some way to become strikingly handsome. Or 7 or 8 inches taller. Or stood on a box. Or something.

The contrast is substantial.

magicrobharv

Postby magicrobharv » December 15th, 2012, 5:21 pm

The January 2013 issue of Genii just arrived in Minot, ND. Ditto on seeing Jamy Ian Swiss' leaving as Genii book reviewer. Ted M. pretty much summed up my feelings. But this issue has one thing that knocked me back on my heels. The back cover full page ad had me grinning from ear to ear.

Danny Orleans has a 3 DVD set coming out: The ART of Presenting Magic to Children." I literally ran and called my family to tell them about changing my "magic Santa list" to include these videos. Great issue Richard, as always :)
Last edited by magicrobharv on December 15th, 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: grammar

magicalt

Postby magicalt » December 17th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Ok just got the January issue in the mail today. Still waiting on the previous one, hope the mail man didn't lose it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 17th, 2012, 10:05 pm

There are a bunch of folks who haven't received the Nov/Dec issue yet. We'll start mailing replacements on Thursday, so please contact the office if your copy hasn't arrived by then: 301-652-5800 or genii@geniimagazine.com

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » December 23rd, 2012, 9:05 pm

Interesting to find that the only photo of Jamy Swiss was in the header of his final column. Geez, I coulda sworn I seen him at the Bash...
His departure from Genii is a most unhappy development; with all due respect to everyone on the masthead, the value of my subscription has become significantly reduced.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 23rd, 2012, 10:14 pm

I look forward to hearing some new voices on the book reviews.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 23rd, 2012, 10:55 pm

I received far more complaints than compliments about Mr. Swiss when he was writing for Genii.

Yes, you indeed saw him at the Bash. He was, however, the only person about whom we received complaints.

You must have missed the part where he sang happy birthday for Daniel Zuckerbrodt's camera crew in the lobby (you can see the edited piece in the digital issue for January) and after singing said "F*ck You, Richard" and flipped the bird to the camera. I would like to say that was his only incidence of rude behavior at the convention, but in fact it wasn't.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » December 24th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Sorry to learn of the rift. I love you both.

Peace,
McF

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 25th, 2013, 8:31 am

January issue arrived today in Manchester, England.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » January 25th, 2013, 9:21 am

And arrived today in Suffolk, England, too!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 25th, 2013, 10:18 am

Got mine in Hastings, England.

Return to “Buzz”