Christmas

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

Christmas

Postby El Mystico » December 11th, 2012, 11:04 am

Are there any good, Christmas-themed close up tricks?

mrgoat

Re: Christmas

Postby mrgoat » December 11th, 2012, 11:21 am

Is the birth of the Baby Jebers not enough of a Christmas Miracle for you?

That aside, someone recently posted an idea about doing the rattle box idea with small christmassy bells which I quite liked, then you could go into 2 in the hand one in the pocket with the bells and produce a massive bell. End.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 11th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Any sort of Christmas tree decoration provides an opportunity to create a story around which magic can be performed.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 11th, 2012, 2:12 pm

There are a bunch of practical ideas in a new book, Magic with a Christmas Theme, by Marc Dibowski of Germany. Check http://www.md-magicbooks.com/ for details. It's available as a printed book or as an e-book.

keeper

Postby keeper » December 11th, 2012, 3:24 pm

No one seemed to respond to this last year but it's a great effect. Jay Sankey's "Mute" was in last Decembers Genii. This is my version of taking it to the next level.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post256979
Every day is a magical adventure!

Al D'Alfonso

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 11th, 2012, 3:48 pm

How did it go in performance? Are you using the item regularly?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

keeper

Postby keeper » December 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm

I've done it a half dozen times and it's very powerful in the right environment. Club meeting, private party, basically a more intimate place where people are able to sit and give you their full attention. I don't think it would work in say, a restaurant walk-around situation without coming up with a different script. I've played with abbreviated more bare-bones presentations with the hopes I can use it in situations that are not ideal for the full-blown version but have yet to find one I like. After seeing the impact the full version gets it's hard to settle for less. I'd be curious how you present it and how it plays. I've used a ringing/ non-ringing bell (with a different method) for a Polar Express themed story which I use when the room is not quite right for "mute".
Every day is a magical adventure!

Al D'Alfonso

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » December 14th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Fred Kaps used to do a candle production routine...........

Oh never mind, that was for Hanukkah.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 14th, 2012, 7:55 pm

You can magically decorate a small Christmas tree, via the paddle move.

Go to a crafts store and buy a couple of plain Christmas Tree Stickers. Draw ornaments, lights, etc. on oneget a set of color sharpies while you are there. Alt: Download two images of Christmas Trees, one undecorated and one decorated.

Glue them back-to-back around a stick. You can probably get a cylindrical dowel at the crafts store that makes the paddle move easy.

At the end, switch in a duplicatetry the Tamariz or Wonder switches as you take out a pen to personalize itand give it away.

Anyone is welcome to this idea, as far as I am concerned. I haven't seen it before, but it does seem a likely candidate for previous invention. If so, please let me know so I can take this down.

Otherwise, happy holiday if you celebrate one.

I would love to see a Sam the Bellhop-style routine that told the story of Christmas. Three wise men are Kings, Mary is the Queen of Heartsthis thing will write itself.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”