Yann Frisch

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Mark Collier

Yann Frisch

Postby Mark Collier » December 7th, 2012, 11:54 am

I'm not sure the audience is fooled by the end (lots of lapping) but this is a fun video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUv-Q6EgEFI

Andres Reynoso

Re: Yann Frisch

Postby Andres Reynoso » December 7th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Yann Frisch won last FISM close-up grand prix with that routine. I saw him perform it at S.A.M. Convention mere 2 weeks after FISM and was superb.
At the end you are confused with all the things happening over the table.
Andres Reynoso

Dave V

Postby Dave V » December 7th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Didn't someone once say "Confusion isn't magic"? Some old Professor type if I recall...
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 7th, 2012, 8:35 pm

This has to be the poorest-fitting application of that quote that I can think of.

This routine is basically Cardini doing cups and balls, isn't it? Topas' "victim" paradigm?

I find it refreshing and beautiful.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 7th, 2012, 9:59 pm

It's a remarkable routine, which I've seen live twice. It's not really a magic routine as much as it is a piece of performance art or a silent method-acting monologue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 8th, 2012, 3:00 am

It's not a magic routine? Interesting.

It's not a magician routine -- there's nobody playing the role of a magician -- but it certainly is a routine full of magic.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 8th, 2012, 5:18 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's not really a magic routine as much as it is a piece of performance art

How would you define the difference?

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » December 8th, 2012, 9:53 am

In case people haven't taken the time to look, this is a new version of Yann Frisch's FISM act. I enjoyed it much more than the original.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 8th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Regrettably, I don't perform magic because I don't want to become, in David Berglas' words, a demonstrator of tricks.

I aspire to create a character or routine that flows seamlessly. This is great example. Gaetan Bloom had a similar approach during EMC 2011 involving a microphone stand which was breathtaking.

I am overwhelmed by the number of effects that are possible and finding the right combination and situation. Something so simple as a cups and balls routine within this context is a great inspiration.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2012, 1:43 pm

David Berglas has performed lots of magic without becoming merely a "demonstrator of tricks."

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 9th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Indeed, but what's the difference between magic and performance art?

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 9th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:David Berglas has performed lots of magic without becoming merely a "demonstrator of tricks."

It seems that you misunderstood my comment. By saying in David Berglas' words, I was quoting him. In your March 2011 issue he said:

"If you are just a demonstrator of tricks, the audience will turn off and say 'Well he's very clever, I don't know how he does it but it is just a trick'."

I think any complete routine, as created by Yann, Gaetan Bloom and others reflects this sentiment. I was agreeing with David Berglas, not criticizing him.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2012, 3:20 pm

You misunderstood my comment. You wrote:

"I don't perform magic because I don't want to become, in David Berglas' words, a demonstrator of tricks."

Not performing magic because you don't want to become a "demonstrator of tricks" doesn't make sense, since the person who made the statement--Berglas--is not a demonstrator of tricks, but a creator of miracles. That necessitates doing magic.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 9th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I think that MM is trying to say, somewhat confusingly, is that he doesn't want to just present tricks but, rather, effectively designed miracles ala Mr. Berglas.

"Captain" Strother Martin said it all: http://tinyurl.com/MManchester

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 9th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Not performing magic because you don't want to become a "demonstrator of tricks" doesn't make sense, since the person who made the statement--Berglas--is not a demonstrator of tricks, but a creator of miracles. That necessitates doing magic.

But David was criticizing something? Was he not encouraging people to develop a routine or persona?

If I go into a magic store and buy Hippity Hop Rabbits and present it, I'm not creating miracles. It's a self-working effect that doesn't require any engaging personality on the part of the performer.
Michael Manchester

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 9th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Steve Hook wrote:I think that MM is trying to say, somewhat confusingly, is that he doesn't want to just present tricks but, rather, effectively designed miracles ala Mr. Berglas.

Thank you Steve. It seems I need another self-imposed exile from the Internet. I thought I was being clear. My frustration at misunderstanding others and expressing myself is acute. Normally not an issue for me.
Michael Manchester

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Don't exile yourself! Discuss! Intellectual discourse is food for the brain.

Thanks for the clarification. These types of things are often easier to discern during conversation.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 9th, 2012, 5:14 pm

It would be interesting to see layman reaction to Yann if he were put on a regular variety show and simply introduced as Yann Frisch.

I suspect very few would describe him as a magic act.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 9th, 2012, 6:15 pm

I see home closer to a clown/juggler in that act. I like the cartoon logic and gags in the routine. Bravo. Let's see how he refines his character and theme work as he goes along.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » December 11th, 2012, 2:02 pm

MManchester-
Don't exile yourself and don't put off performing magic. You aspire to perform magic, not just demonstrate tricks but no one (and I strongly suspect Mr. Berglas would be included) performs magic right out of the gate.

Characters and routines that flow seamlessly do not appear out of thin air, but rather through hard work. Work that must include performance and audience feedback.

So perform! Even if--for right now--you're just doing tricks.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » December 11th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Jeffrey Korst wrote:MManchester-
So perform! Even if--for right now--you're just doing tricks.

I want to second Jeff's advice.

Magic is a performing art, you become a better performer by performing, receiving feedback from your audience, learning from that feedback and performing again.

I long ago realized I will NEVER be a great magical artist - I don't have the talent or the drive. But I do perform some entertaining magic for my students and my friends. And I do strive to be as artistic and competent as I am capable of being.

I am also a better magician this year than I was last year - precisely by following the advice Jeff just gave you. I perform every day and I think about how to improve my performance - over time it has paid off.

Return to “Link Watch”