Frank Thompson's coin box work

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
mystre71

Frank Thompson's coin box work

Postby mystre71 » December 7th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Hello All, I hope I'm posting this in the right place?

As the title says, I'm searching for some info on Frank Thompson's coin box work. I keep hearing good things about it, but Having a hard time tracking down much on it, other than the "No-Turn-Over Okito Steal No. 2 from the book "Wonderful Routines of Magic" by Ellison Poland.

A few months back I received an email from a guy claiming to have some unpublished coin and coin box work of Franks. Said this work was supposed to have burned in a fire, but leaked out. He wouldn't say exactly how he came about this work, but if I was willing to buy him $100.00 gift card from Ellusionist. He would send me Franks work. I ask a few guys in Baltimore, that knew Frank. They didn't have much to say about it. So, If anyone here, has any info that could help me out. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Joe

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Frank Thompson's coin box work

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 7th, 2012, 9:58 pm

The only person I know of who really knows this material is Howard Schwarzman of Baltimore. He used to teach it privately for a high price.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 7th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Here's a Tannen/Thompson Okito sequence from Apocalypse
http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?bo ... ight=11707

(Courtesy Dennis Behr's amazing database)

mystre71

Postby mystre71 » December 8th, 2012, 12:21 am

Thanks Richard, I talked to Howie. He said he gave the last set to someone, and showed me the one move I posted about above.

erdnasephile, Thanks, I had forgotten about that one. I do have that one as well.

Thanks again!

David Ben

Postby David Ben » December 8th, 2012, 8:34 am

I have copies of some of Frank Thompson's private notebooks, and they are loaded with information on his Okito coin box work, including the description of his routine. So, this material definitely exists. It is not mine, however, to share. I only mention it because the guy who offered to trade you the information may, in fact, have the same information as I do - as these things tend to circulate. So, $100 bucks may be may be a cheap price pay for something relatively exclusive. It all depends on how much you value information.

mystre71

Postby mystre71 » December 8th, 2012, 11:21 am

Thanks David!

I have no problem paying the $100 bucks for it. It was just when he ask that I purchase the $100 gift card through Ellusionist in his name, that through up red flags. He did offer a trade for books I have, but only if I scanned the books and emailed the scans. This makes me think, he may have seen my post,and thought of a way to make some quick cash. Could you maybe email me at mystre71@aol.com and give me a few details about the notebooks, amount of page numbers, contents, stuff that only someone who actually has the notebooks would know ?

Would the owner of your copies be interested in selling his ?

Thanks again!
Joe

David Ben

Postby David Ben » December 8th, 2012, 11:37 am

Joe

I share your concern about the red flags. It does seem a bit odd, particularly when he asked you to scan books, etc.

I will try to dig out material and answer all of your questions privately.

David

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 8th, 2012, 11:39 am

Joe:

Your potential seller wants you to pirate the books you own to trade for the material? That sounds pretty darn fishy indeed.

Perhaps your seller whould be able to take a few close up photos of some of the key pages of the notebooks and email them to you to verify their authenticity?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 8th, 2012, 11:40 am

Joe, it is illegal for you to scan books and email the scans.
And the guy's whole response sounds like a scam. Whoever he is, do not do business with someone who asks you to buy things for them and requests that you engage in illegal activities.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » December 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Joe

I found the material, sent you the page count, and a couple of images so that you can recognize the style of the notebooks.

David

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 8th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Sounds like something I ran into after a post looking for Irv Weiner items. A person (from Hungary) offered a full set of notes for a certain price. I finally talked him into just a few, basically for me to see if it was legit. Waited and waited. Got all sorts of replies that he was out of the country and his brother would send them...still nothing. Then he wanted to send scans of all the booklets for the same money. I kept telling him I only wanted originals. Finally, pulled the plug in time for Paypal to help out. Then had to send it up to the next level, but they refunded my money.

mystre71

Postby mystre71 » December 8th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Richard, as soon as he started asking about scans, I quickly told him that wouldn't be possible. He made a point that he didn't want the actual book, but a scan. That's when he ask fo ra gift card.

Daivd, Thanks again for all your help!

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 19th, 2020, 8:37 am

With Howie's passing I wonder what will happen to the Thompson material he had? Supposedly it was lost in a fire, but seems some of it is out there somewhere.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 19th, 2020, 5:13 pm

It exists.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”