Top 5 effects to buy before 2013

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Sketchomagic

Top 5 effects to buy before 2013

Postby Sketchomagic » November 24th, 2012, 7:20 pm

So many cool effects recently released. Reading and learning about each one is like having a second job. Here's what I narrowed my choices down to.

1. Mark Mason Presents: X-Act by Mike Kirby

2. SkyCap by Luke Dancy Paul Harris & co.

3. Extractor by Rob Bromley & Peter Nardi

4. Stash by Dan Harlan

5. Card Surgery by Tenyo Magic

What are my fellow magician's choices?
Till the next time magic fiends...

Evan Shuster

Re: Top 5 effects to buy before 2013

Postby Evan Shuster » November 24th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Stash is a great piece of magic. I have it, I love it, I can highly recommend it.

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » November 24th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Evan Shuster wrote:Stash is a great piece of magic. I have it, I love it, I can highly recommend it.

Evan, you are probably the 5th person I've seen say Stash is a worker. Now I must order this. Great deal for $20 flat. Thanks for you're reply!

friboudi

Postby friboudi » November 27th, 2012, 8:53 am

Sketchomagic wrote:So many cool effects recently released. Reading and learning about each one is like having a second job. Here's what I narrowed my choices down to.

4. Stash by Dan Harlan

Magic is not about "buying tricks"... it's more than a commercial thing. It is about what YOU do with what is between your hands. So I am afraid that your question / reflexion is a little bit stupid, imho.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 27th, 2012, 10:36 am

Evan: Have you had a chance to use this is actual performance? It just seemed that the climax (borrowed, marked bill in a pen the spectator has been holding) isn't supported by the conviction possible with the method.

However, that's me thinking like a magician--I was just wondering how an intelligent, sober layperson would perceive this.

IMHO, John Carney has a much better solution to this plot.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 27th, 2012, 10:39 am

friboudi wrote:
Sketchomagic wrote:So many cool effects recently released. Reading and learning about each one is like having a second job. Here's what I narrowed my choices down to.

4. Stash by Dan Harlan

Magic is not about "buying tricks"... it's more than a commercial thing. It is about what YOU do with what is between your hands. So I am afraid that your question / reflexion is a little bit stupid, imho.

Although I agree with your essential point, I don't think the OP is "stupid"--he/she's just asking what we've all asked in a B & M magic shop: "What's new? What's cool?"

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » November 27th, 2012, 11:36 am

The only part that I don't like about Stash is the opening bit, where you "magically" uncap the Sharpie. I find it unnecessary and think that it focuses too much attention on the pen. Some may see this as an advantage, but I tend to get puzzled looks. The trick itself, however, delivers strong reactions.

Carney's Calligraphic Cash has always been a favorite of mine. The difference between the two is that Calligraphic Cash is a transposition of a borrowed, signed bill for the pen's ink cartridge, whereas Stash is a borrowed bill to impossible location. The bill is not signed, but it does have markings that were added to it prior to it vanishing. Another nice thing about Stash is that it uses a Sharpie, which is a pretty common object. The gimmick is supplied, but also very easy to replace.

I also was quite fond of a version that Harry published in Apocalypse, but the pen he used was difficult to find (or too expensive, once I found a suitable substitute).

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 27th, 2012, 12:04 pm

That's interesting, Evan--I thought the same thing about the uncapping--at first I couldn't figure out what he was going for there.

The replaceable gimmick is cool--maybe one of these days, someone will figure out how to refill the pen in "The Final Answer".

One thing I like about Mr. Carney's routine is how the last shape you see the bill in is exactly the way it is found. It just seems credible. The one thing that has kept me from using the routine as written is the need for a flash bill. Flash paper gives me the willies. (A guy at the Castle set my Dad's hair on fire once with the stuff (!).

The other routine I've always wanted to try is Caveney's.

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » December 8th, 2012, 6:58 am

friboudi wrote:

4. Stash by Dan Harlan

WOW.."STUPID"? Interesting choice of words, for asking a simple question. I am well aware that magic is not about "buying tricks", (I've been doing magic since I was 12 years old, I'm 34 now, you do the math). But since you bring it up. How else are we supposed to learn about, then purchase the latest magic? Are we supposed to NOT ask what is the latest and greatest available on the shelves at our local magic dealer? Or perhaps we should tell our local magic shop that selling magic is "STUPID" and its not about "buying tricks", because 'friboudi' thinks its "STUPID", and its more than a commercial thing. So how about we get magic tricks for free instead? Yeah...I didn't think so.

How about this instead...you stop scrutinizing me and my simple straight forward question, and simply pitch in you're vote for you're favorite tricks. No need to pick apart my question with a fine tooth comb, or lecture me on what YOU think my view of magic is. Which BTW is non of you're business, I can choose what kind of magic I enjoy and how I enjoy it, how ever I please. You or anyone else will NOT tell me otherwise. Just because you were having a bad day, don't take it out on me man. Seriously, this isn't the forum for calling anyone "STUPID". Especially for asking a basic question on a site it was specifically designed for, period. Choose you're words wisely next time, or don't say anything at all. Thank you.

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » December 8th, 2012, 7:02 am

erdnasephile wrote:
friboudi wrote:

4. Stash by Dan Harlan

Although I agree with your essential point, I don't think the OP is "stupid"--he/she's just asking what we've all asked in a B & M magic shop: "What's new? What's cool?"

Thanks for the back up on this. Seems as anything I ask somehow offends someone else. I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time...don't ask basic questions about new magic. Got it.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”