Breaking Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Breaking Magic

Postby Tom Frame » November 11th, 2012, 10:33 am

Breaking Magic, a new magic series starring Wayne Houchin premiers tonight at 7:00pm Pacific time on the Discovery Channel. Another episode follows at 7:30pm. Check 'em out!

mrgoat

Re: Breaking Magic

Postby mrgoat » November 11th, 2012, 11:39 am

And if you're not in America, just steal them, because it's totally cool to pirate magic TV shows, just not magic DVDs.

AJM

Postby AJM » November 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm

You know in the olden days, when vinyl was the 'media du jour' for music, there was a saying something like 'I think you need to change the record' or 'I think the needle is stuck' - does anyone know if there is an equivalent saying for the digital age?

Andrew

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 11th, 2012, 12:38 pm

AJM wrote:You know in the olden days, when vinyl was the 'media du jour' for music, there was a saying something like 'I think you need to change the record' or 'I think the needle is stuck' - does anyone know if there is an equivalent saying for the digital age?

Andrew

Sorry you find my fight against piracy dull.

I guess because I work in an industry that has been decimated by piracy I find it irksome when magicians moan about magic piracy on one hand, but are perfectly happy to steal magic TV shows, perform shows with copyrighted music they don't pay for etc etc

The hypocrisy gets on my wick no end.

AJM

Postby AJM » November 11th, 2012, 1:00 pm

I sense your frustration Damien and I am not unsympathetic to your views.

Just didn't see anything in Tom's post other than letting folks' know there was a show on the Discovery channel later...

I don't have satellite or cable TV - don't have the time to watch it - so you can rest assured that at least I won't be searching the Interweb to download this particular show.

A.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 11th, 2012, 1:43 pm

No, indeed. Tom's post was wholly innocent. Just as soon as any magic TV show is on, people seem to post links to pirated versions or encourage people to pirate it.

That and I've got a strop on.

:)

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » November 11th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Damian,

When my kids were young I saw this set of rules that describe the world from a young child's perspective. I think you might enjoy the parallels to those who pirate other peoples content :-)

TODDLERS RULES
1.1- If I want it, it's mine
2- If it's in my hand, it's mine
3- If I can take it away from
you, it's mine
4- If I had it a little while ago, it's mine
5- If it's mine, it must never appear
to be yours in any way
6- If we are building something together,
all the pieces are mine
7- If it just looks like mine, it's mine
8- If I think it's mine, it's mine
9- If I give it to you and change
my mind later, it's mine
10- Once it's mine it will never belong
to anyone else, no matter what

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » November 11th, 2012, 2:40 pm

God, the Damian police are tiresome.

One of the main reasons I hardly stop by this forum.

Is that ALL you do: monitor this forum and reply all day?

Do what you want, but it seems such a waste of a life.

Show me the exit, please.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 11th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Hey Bill,

Just click on the person's name you'd like to block, select "View Profile" and then click "Ignore this user" on the subsequent screen.

That way you can can continue to enjoy the forums without some of the more tedious "broken records" out there.

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » November 11th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Thanks Chris. I wasn't aware the forum had that feature.

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » November 11th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Done. The air smells sweeter. Why anyone would feel it necessary to give us all a lecture on copyright theft because someone mentioned a show on the Discovery Channel is sooo far beyond me.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » November 12th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Well, the program is essentially a "Science of Magic" show. A number of well known stunts are performed and then their methods are explained.

Wayne Houchin is well known. But I never heard of Ben Hanlin, James Galea or Billy Kidd.

I probably won't tune in next week. Does anyone else care to share their impressions?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Sadly it's not being shown over here.

However, billy Kidd was on a tv show here last year and completely ruined gazzo's cups and balls. I later found out she was a student of his.

Clearly she didn't pay much attention in class.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » November 12th, 2012, 5:28 pm

I was underwhelmed. I agree with your analysis Tom - a science of magic show with neither the science or the magic particularly well explained (in fact I think in the explanation of the "rice" stunt they made an error or two).

Damian, if you want to see the essence of it, Discovery has some extensive performance clips on line. The parts that are not shown on the clips are the explanations (which are pretty straight forward) and the usual reality show filler.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/break ... tector.htm

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » November 13th, 2012, 1:43 pm

billmccloskey wrote:Done. The air smells sweeter. Why anyone would feel it necessary to give us all a lecture on copyright theft because someone mentioned a show on the Discovery Channel is sooo far beyond me.

My sentiments exactly. My Dad was a farmer and had the expression "like getting crap on your finger" (not an exact quote!) You can wash and clean, but the stench and stain are still there. You'll still see him quoted in other messages and you can't totally avoid him in an RSS feed. I'll never understand why people like him have to be so abusive and obnoxious. I keep hoping he'll be banned for life, but no such luck.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 13th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Bob Cunningham wrote:Damian, if you want to see the essence of it, Discovery has some extensive performance clips on line. The parts that are not shown on the clips are the explanations (which are pretty straight forward) and the usual reality show filler.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/break ... tector.htm

Oh thanks for that, I thought they'd limit it to the US by geo-ip, but no, I can watch without having to pirate anything. Huzzah! Thanks!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 13th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Steve Mills wrote:
billmccloskey wrote:Done. The air smells sweeter. Why anyone would feel it necessary to give us all a lecture on copyright theft because someone mentioned a show on the Discovery Channel is sooo far beyond me.

My sentiments exactly. My Dad was a farmer and had the expression "like getting crap on your finger" (not an exact quote!) You can wash and clean, but the stench and stain are still there.

If I get crap on my finger and wash it, it comes off fairly easily. Do you not have soap and hot water?

Return to “Buzz”