November/December Double Issue of Genii Will Arrive on the December Issue Schedule

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

November/December Double Issue of Genii Will Arrive on the December Issue Schedule

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2012, 11:22 am

Despite the fact that we've emailed every subscruber, and that I've posted the information here, on Facebook, and on the Magic Cafe, we are still getting many calls and emails from magicians wondering where the November issue of Genii is.

So, please, if you know any Genii subscribers, or belong to a local magic club, or post on any other magic forums, let everyone know that there is no November issue of Genii.

We are doing a double issue, November/December, of 196 pages with 67 tricks that will mail on the December issue's normal schedule. So people can expect to see the digital issue online on or about November 14 or earlier, and see the paper issue start to arrive from the middle of November through the first two or three weeks of December as usual.

Thanks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: November/December Double Issue of Genii Will Arrive on the December Issue Schedule

Postby Ted M » October 31st, 2012, 11:44 am

The email notice I received on Oct 24 had a not-very-meaningful subject line of "Genii Birthday Bash Letter" and it was not a plain text email.

I had to do some extra clicking to discover the message about the November issue.

You might want to try sending another email, but (1) with a more communicative subject line, and (2) as simple plain text.

From your subscribers' point of view, they would be looking for a message about their magazine, not the convention.

Richard Kaufman

Re: November/December Double Issue of Genii Will Arrive on the December Issue Schedule

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2012, 12:15 pm

Ted, thanks--had no idea.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 31st, 2012, 1:59 pm

67 tricks? Damn.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2012, 2:42 pm

Actually, final count now made because we jus laid out the table of contents: 69 tricks.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 31st, 2012, 3:20 pm

Did I recall reading that Max Maven chose the 69 effects? If so, I'm pleased as I believe he'll be especially discerning in his choices.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » October 31st, 2012, 3:33 pm

Sweet. How many pages for the Maven article recounting Genii's history?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 31st, 2012, 4:08 pm

The ghost of Jay Marshall chose the 69 effects.

[Happy Halloween!]

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 4th, 2012, 4:58 pm

The tricks are woven throughout Max's article, so I can't count them separately. The whole article, including the tricks, came in at 132 pages.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 4th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Richard: is this a completely new article by Max or an extension of his excellent previous article on the history of Genii?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 4th, 2012, 11:57 pm

It is a revision and extension of the text, however the graphic elements are entirely different. And few, if any, of the tricks are the same.

There are 69 tricks in the new issue, and I selected all of them. I picked items that will appeal to a range of different interests, so it's not all card tricks by any means. Several excellent illusions, some great stuff for kids' magicians that has long been forgotten, some items for the stage and parlor magician, and a lot of great close-up magic with both cards and other objects. Only half a dozen items from the last 14 years (my term). Mostly earlier material.

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » November 5th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Looking forward to this. I let members of our Ring know at our meeting yesterday of the November/December double issue. Several were unaware of the revised publishing schedule (one doesn't use email...the others I think just overlooked the email) and they suspected the delay had something to do with the recent Birthday Bash. All were looking forward to the special issue.

Jeremy

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » November 5th, 2012, 7:27 pm

I apologize if my question has already been addressed elsewhere, but, Will the digital issue of this edition be released early as the others have??
Frank Quiroz

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 5th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Should be online between Nov.10 and Nov.14, the usual time frame. It will take longer to download because of the size.

Return to “Buzz”