Derren Apocalypse

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Derren Apocalypse

Postby CraigMitchell » October 28th, 2012, 8:19 am

Derren's Apocalypse TV show seems to be getting mixed reviews - perhaps a case of a little too far fetched this time round ?

Some interesting observations have come out online with the lead character in the show being discovered as being a UK actor ( a fact not at all mentioned in the TV show )

So - when does a concept become just too far fetched ? How far are audiences prepared to suspend disbelief ... all the more relevant as Derren has moved out of the realm of traditional magic on TV into quasi-documentary / motivational programs.

For those outside of the UK - the TV show has surfaced on Youtube, Usenet et al. and will no doubt be released on DVD in the near future. His Experiments DVD set is available for purchase from amazon.co.uk

http://www.grumpymiddleagedman.co.uk/20 ... -as-actor/

http://voiceinthedesert.org.uk/weblog/2 ... pocalypse/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Derren Apocalypse

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2012, 1:02 pm

These are theatrical exercises. Why would you be surprised about anything that is done to achieve the goal?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 28th, 2012, 2:23 pm

"These are theatrical exercises. Why would you be surprised about anything that is done to achieve the goal?"

There seems to be a tipping point - a sweet spot at which audiences are prepared to go along and buy into the believability factor without too much question ( i.e. they honestly believe that he is doing what he is saying / what they are seeing is 'real' ) Go beyond that point and the bubble seems to burst and audiences are no longer prepared to go down that road ...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I think there are several possible scenarios here that lean in Derren's favor.

First, just because the person may be an actor, that is simply another occupation--it doesn't mean the person was in on the deal.

Second, if he was an actor and was given a ficticious name and backstory, that still doesn't mean he was in on the deal. They may have done that to protect the guy in some way that we are unaware of.

I haven't seen the special (no time to watch it right now), but I have to think that after all the things Derren and company have done, they wouldn't leave obvious things dangling in the wind for people to find like this. And, if they have, perhaps these things tie into the second part of the special, which has yet to air.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 29th, 2012, 12:41 am

I have always found his stage shows to be far superior to his made for television shows. There are several DVD's of live stage shows available that would be a better use of your time than watching this show. Amazon UK is a great source, and a $50 to $75 investment in a region-free dvd player will pay for itself, if you are interested in British television and live in the states. Another example is the currently popular Downton Abby. The third season will not be shown on PBS until January, while the entire third season will be available in a couple of weeks from Amazon UK. Sorry for the digression, but I thought the information might be useful.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 29th, 2012, 3:20 am

Actor part aside ... concept wise for a Derren "quasi-documentary/reality show" is it a stretch too far to convince someone that the world has come to an end and for them to believe it real ?

The footage of the meteor shower reigning down on earth looked more akin to a Disney Studios backstage tour with some pyros.

It will be interesting to see how part 2 plays out - but there seemed to be a greater level of 'believability' in the last special which focused on getting a stranger to "land" a 747 ;-)

Either way - the creative thought process is refreshing ... now if only more performers could embark on such radical departures from the norm.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 29th, 2012, 7:52 am

Has this been shown in the USA yet?

Come to think of it, has his Svengali show been made available in the USA yet?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 29th, 2012, 9:34 am

CraigMitchell wrote:For those outside of the UK - the TV show has surfaced on Youtube, Usenet et al.

YEAH! PIRACY ROCKS!!!

(unless it's magic DVDs or tricks, then it is really bad, obv)

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 29th, 2012, 4:18 pm

@mrgoat = we've had this discussion before.

The TV show was free to air in the UK - and thanks to the magic of the internet - its free-to-air around the world ( for good or bad ! )

Those dear souls who secretly recorded copies of magic TV specials on VHS tapes in the 'good ol days' and sent them to distant friends in faraway lands were clearly evil pirates.

Now you could have dusted off your VHS machine for me - found an archaic tape - recorded the program, popped on over to your friendly Royal Mail post office and sent it half way round the world for me ... but thankfully no need.

It's available less than 24 hours later ( and Svengali too btw ) in glorious high definition.

And as with all of Derren's specials - I look forward to purchasing the DVD copy too. But in the interim I'm not depriving myself of TV magic viewing thanks to a twist of geographic fate :-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

http://derrenbrown.co.uk/apocalypse-qa/

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:@mrgoat = we've had this discussion before.

Yup. You steal copyrighted content and encourage others to do the same.

I wish you made something worth stealing so you knew what it felt like to have your work stolen.

CraigMitchell wrote:The TV show was free to air in the UK -

It was on an ad supported network.

CraigMitchell wrote:and thanks to the magic of the internet - its free-to-air around the world ( for good or bad ! )

How can you suggest piracy is good?

Don't think objective think it is good?

CraigMitchell wrote:It's available less than 24 hours later ( and Svengali too btw ) in glorious high definition.

Yup. Piracy is awesome, right?

CraigMitchell wrote:And as with all of Derren's specials - I look forward to purchasing the DVD copy too. But in the interim I'm not depriving myself of TV magic viewing thanks to a twist of geographic fate :-)

Why not post a pic of you holding up each of the specials with a sign saying "see Damian, I do buy pointless copies of the hd content I stole"

?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Gentlemen: we all know that you have divergent views on this issue.
Damian has made his point clearly in the past many times. A single comment will suffice here, and they have been made.

Chris Norris

Postby Chris Norris » October 29th, 2012, 8:18 pm

See the latest two posts on Derren's blog for his response to all this : http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2012, 9:47 pm

A very interesting, satisfying, and seemingly truthful response. The most important point, buried in there, is that British TV has become extraordinarily strict about using "plants" or stooges, or perpetrating anything that is supposed to be happening to real people on people who have been set up in advance. I find the BBC's newfound "come-to-Jesus" enlightment a complete farce, but that's just my opinion.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » October 29th, 2012, 11:03 pm

It's probably because previously the BBC was found to be involved in telephone phone-in 'sharp practice' and there was public furore. The public institution now needs to be seen to be squeaky clean.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 30th, 2012, 2:51 am

Couldn't resist :grin:

But - seriously - for those in the US - nearly all of Derren's work is available to buy on www.amazon.co.uk And the Experiments DVD set has also just been released.

You would need a multizone DVD player to watch zone 2 discs in the US or you can do so on your PC with the relevant software.

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » October 30th, 2012, 9:14 am

PapaG wrote:It's probably because previously the BBC was found to be involved in telephone phone-in 'sharp practice' and there was public furore. The public institution now needs to be seen to be squeaky clean.

His shows are on Channel Four, which is partly state funded, partly commercial. But the BBC, apart from being up to its neck in S*** just now, is held accountable by parliament. I'm not sure the come to Jesus metaphor quite nails it. Fear of media reprisals and subsequent funding cuts loom large, now more than ever.

Return to “Buzz”