Genii Cover

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
The Grate Amazmo

Genii Cover

Postby The Grate Amazmo » October 28th, 2012, 11:59 am

I have been hearing rumors that Penn & Teller had something to do with the Genii Cover and the double issue I'd like to know if there is there any truth to it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Genii Cover

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Penn & Teller have ZERO to do wth the double issue of Genii. But the Malini (October) issue is another story ...

There was no way for my wife to lay out all the booklets for the gift bag and program for the convention and also get a November issue out on time. Not possible. So we took the opportunity to do something positive with the situation, which was to publish a 196-page issue containing an immense article on the history of Genii by Max Maven which contains 62 tricks that have appeared in our pages.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » October 28th, 2012, 1:15 pm

WOW! Good things truly do come to those who wait. Thanks to you and your wife for all you do to provide us with the best magic magazine in the business.
Peace, Joe

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 28th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I don't know how you and your wife and Margaret (what a pleasure it was to meet both of them) do it. You pull off a tremendous feat of true magic every month, and at a bargain price.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I don't know how we do it, either.

The trick (perhaps) is not to think about the big picture, but to just plow forward with the details.

I read each word that goes into Genii three times: first when the story or column comes in. Second when I edit it, and third when I proofread the entire issue after it's laid out just before going to the printer.

In my spare time I watch horror movies, The Big Bang Theory (for reasons that will become evident after you read the November/December issue), and ... yes, I'm writing several books at the same time. Was thinking of taking up knitting, too.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 28th, 2012, 4:45 pm

The new Universal Classic Monsters Box Set, including The Creature From the Black Lagoon in glorious black and white 3D, is terrific. I got it at Costco for $50 less than the Amazon price.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Got mine at amazon.co.uk--much cheaper than amazon and is region free. Also comes in a COFFIN. :)

Alas, no 3D TV in the Genii household.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 28th, 2012, 6:35 pm

I use amazon uk a lot. The popular Downton Abbey 3rd season won't be available on US TV until January. The DVD of the complete 3rd season is available from Amazon UK in November.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 28th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Not quite horror, but . . .

Ray Harryhausen on Turner Classic Movies tonight. Just watched "20 Million Miles to Earth," and "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" is about to come on. (and they ran "The Cincinnati Kid" earlier today).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2012, 9:47 pm

I love "20 Million Miles to Earth." The Ymir is both sympathetic and horrifying, and what other movies is William Hopper in?

"Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers" is also great stuff. Love it. Harryhausen was a genius. Literally a one-man band.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » October 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:a 196-page issue containing an immense article on the history of Genii by Max Maven

Love it.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 29th, 2012, 12:05 am

Richard Kaufman wrote: and what other movies is William Hopper in?

IMDB makes it easy to answer questions like this, but my wife knew without looking it up: he was Paul Drake on the old Perry Mason.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2012, 12:11 am

Well of course I know he was Paul Drake in Perry Mason (and also Hedda Hopper's son), but what other films was he in?

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 29th, 2012, 12:27 am

I recently bought half of the first season of Perry Mason on DVD at Best Buy for less than $10. The quality of the video, which is over 50 years old is amazing, and each episode is like a one hour film noir. The exterior shots of Los Angeles are also very interesting, especially LAX, and the acting and writing are first class. If you are interested in this sort of thing, you really can't go wrong with these. BTW, I saw Barbara Hale recently and she still looks great. There is a lot more hinting about a relationship between Della and Perry than I remember as a kid.

Return to “General”