Manuscripts in the Genii Bash Portfolio

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Manuscripts in the Genii Bash Portfolio

Postby Matthew Field » October 22nd, 2012, 6:50 am

I've been a bit surprised by the lack of comment on the manuscripts given away in the Genii Bash portfolio. So here's my conversation starter.

There are some extraordinary highlights here, all printed in a limited edition of 775 (I believe that had to be increased at the last moment because of last-minute attendees).

I'll start with the most lavish of the items, "Juan Pair" by Stephen Minch and "Olram Aces" by Jon Racherbaumer.

"Juan Pair" consists of two related tricks by Juan Tamariz in a 15-page photo-illustrated booklet. "Worldly Rise" and "First Class Tourists" rely on the Tamariz Perpendicular Control (TPC) which is here newly and elegantly decribed, an improvement over the description and technique in "Sonata." The multiple card rise in the first item is imprssive (and gaff-less) with techniques that are inventive and well worth studying. Tamariz's variant of the Vernon classic "Travelers" in his second effect also contains techniques previously undescribed and most impressive.

Jon Racherbaumer's Olaram Aces is a revised and expanded handling of his effect which first saw print in 1976. The McDonald Aces variant is of the Slow Motion variety and each vanish is handled differently. It is a classic, and the trick came with the necessary gaffs!

There's lots more in the package, from Scarne to Dingle, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.

If I have one regret, it is that the material here will have such limited circulation.

And I haven't yet had a chance to get into the 8 DVDs in the portfolio, or the other manuscripts I obtained, such as two by Roberto Giobbi, on Vernon material and Deck Switches, and some Jim Steinmeyer notes (and his "Susequent Impuzlebilities," which is a gem.

Matt Field

Tom Gilbert

Re: Manuscripts in the Genii Bash Portfolio

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 22nd, 2012, 12:25 pm

I'm looking forward to having some time for Olaram Aces and Scarne Aces. I've skimmed though Juan Pair.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » October 22nd, 2012, 3:04 pm

The Scarne Aces Pinch works very well. I've had the work in since the Bash and it is still working and undetectable.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 22nd, 2012, 5:31 pm

Matthew "The Button Man" Field wrote:If I have one regret, it is that the material here will have such limited circulation.

I like that part. It ups their value (not necessarily "dollar," but personal value), at least for a while, to those who attended a one-of-a-kind event.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 22nd, 2012, 6:13 pm

I am looking for the Juan Pair and Scarne Aces manuscripts. Please let me know if you have one of either/both you are willing to part with, especially if you are interested in a trade involving any of my commercial items (the PM Card Mark System ebook, Web Test, Scripting Magic).

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 22nd, 2012, 6:35 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:
Matthew "The Button Man" Field wrote:If I have one regret, it is that the material here will have such limited circulation.

I like that part. It ups their value (not necessarily "dollar," but personal value), at least for a while, to those who attended a one-of-a-kind event.

I thought we had established in the l and l threads that exclusivity had no value in magic.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 22nd, 2012, 6:52 pm

"We"? Did I make such an argument, Brad?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 22nd, 2012, 6:54 pm

That seemed to be the position of the forum as a whole. That, and that I was a shallow, selfish out of touch person

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 22nd, 2012, 7:07 pm

I've always considered "value" as a relative thing. I place a higher "value" on my complete file of The Sphinx versus the PDF version I have, even though many might say that since the information is the same, the value is the same. I place a higher value on my complete file of Apocalypse even though reprints are available in book form. But that's just me. "Value" is always relative and can be a very personal, subjective thing. I was recently given a gift that I cannot place a dollar value on; not possible. But one day someone in my family will discover what others "value" it at.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 22nd, 2012, 7:15 pm

Brad, don't play dumb. It's annoying.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 22nd, 2012, 7:54 pm

Like I said - exclusivity has no value in magic, except when we want it to

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 22nd, 2012, 8:03 pm

I havent had a chance to work my way through the DVDs yet, but the printed materials are truly exceptional. I was surprised as much by the jaw-dropping simplicity of the Scarne Aces as I was by the complexity and depth of the Tamariz material.

Racherbaumers Olram Aces was equally satisfying, and what a pleasant surprise to see Jerry Andrus staring up at me from the page once again.

Still more to explore and discover. Looking forward to a little more time in my day to uncover some of the other treasures of the portfolio.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 22nd, 2012, 11:58 pm

I've been practicing the Derek Dingle CTW ever since. The Ben Harris e-book is also quite a keeper. The dilemma for me is whether to leave the apparatus undisturbed. Regardless, it's a literal treasure chest which will be savored at a most leisurely pace. And then there are the DVD's . . .

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 23rd, 2012, 3:42 am

I hate to say it, but I suspect the first person to put some of this stuff on ebay is going to make a mint.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 23rd, 2012, 5:26 am

...of course, if somebody wants to make some money now, I'd love to purchase a copy of the Dingle CTW please! :grin:

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » October 23rd, 2012, 7:50 am

The interview by Joshua Jay in the Reel Magic DVD is quite good and worth a listen.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2012, 9:32 am

Edward Pungot wrote:The interview by Joshua Jay in the Reel Magic DVD is quite good and worth a listen.

Yes, I'd never seen Reel Magic before and found it to be good.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 24th, 2012, 8:10 pm

At my request, Ben Harris has extended the expiration date for downloading his book Friendly Fire. Please take advantage of the code found on the special card in your Genii Bash gift bag and download the book now.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » October 25th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Ya'll got too much time on your hands...I haven't even cracked my bag open yet. It would be really nice to take a long Thanksgiving vacation to go through the stuff. So, I guess instead of raking leaves this weekend I will try and convince my wife that I must go through my Goodie bag.

Any tips, or are these all secret eggs I have to find...and BTW can we find a nice list of all those old eggs on past discs?

I don't have the chops or time for card stuff, so how can I sell this stuff on Ebay? Am I allowed to download..then sell? Or do I sell secret code? Too confusing.

I also would like to say that all the vendors who donated stuff for the raffle were appreciated. This was truly one of the coolest parts to the Bash. It seemed like the gifts were endless.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Max, there is only one item to download, but we would think poorly of you if you downloaded and then sold it.

Of course you're free to sell anything you own, but I think you should keep your bag and enjoy the material. Sell the whole thing eventually if you wish, but it will always be worth more in its totality than in pieces.

There is also a letter in the bag (it was the first thing you saw when you unzipped it, sitting on top of the legal pad) that lists every item in detail. I guess you really haven't opened it!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 26th, 2012, 12:59 am

Max,

You can have a signed copy of Scripting Magic in exchange for the Scarne Aces and Juan Pair manuscripts. No one will bid that on eBay.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 26th, 2012, 4:22 am

There's another, excellent, download from Vanishing Inc. in the package.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2012, 11:34 am

Bad trade, Max.
Sorry Pete.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 26th, 2012, 6:41 pm

With regard to the Vanishing Inc item I feel that the final phase tips the method of the entire trick, particularly if you leave the 'incriminating evidence' lying around on the table - which the performer on the video almost does before quickly removing it from view.

I would be interested in folks' views.

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Andrew, you are thinking like a magician, not like someone who can perform miracles for laymen. If you think it tips the method, it's because you are subconsciously guilty about showing the gimmick, albeit in two parts.

If you want to see a different way to handle the end of the effect, watch Christian Engblom's handling on one of my recent videos embedded in the digital issue of Genii, which I shot at FISM.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 26th, 2012, 8:44 pm

In that final phase, just after you have dealt the (supposed) ace of hearts onto the table, you can quite cleanly show the other two cards to be the three of clubs either with a standard monte toss or the Vallarino count. Just make it casual, not "proving" anything.

This is a nice gift!

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » October 26th, 2012, 9:57 pm

See, now a book on scripting I could use. Please no more calls. My lines couldn't handle the volume of interest.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 27th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I couldn't finesse the link just a few moments ago. First, "Genii Bash-ers" are welcomed; you sign in, and no further assistance to access the Moser link. It's nice to be logged-in to buy all the good stuff Josh and Andi have to offer, but could not find the free Moser Monte download. Tips, anyone?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 27th, 2012, 3:41 pm

I have contacted those in charge.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 27th, 2012, 4:46 pm

The Genii again grants all appropriate requests. Thank you.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » October 28th, 2012, 10:59 pm

I downloaded the PDF today, Thanks for the extension.

Andi

Postby Andi » October 29th, 2012, 5:46 am

Bill McFadden wrote:I couldn't finesse the link just a few moments ago. First, "Genii Bash-ers" are welcomed; you sign in, and no further assistance to access the Moser link. It's nice to be logged-in to buy all the good stuff Josh and Andi have to offer, but could not find the free Moser Monte download. Tips, anyone?

Hi Bill,

I looked back through the logs and found the issue you were having. It was a small bug affecting a few people. It is now fixed and you'll be able to get to the video without issue.

Let me know how you get on.

--Andi (aka "those in charge")

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 29th, 2012, 9:37 am

Andi wrote:
Bill McFadden wrote:I couldn't finesse the link just a few moments ago. First, "Genii Bash-ers" are welcomed; you sign in, and no further assistance to access the Moser link. It's nice to be logged-in to buy all the good stuff Josh and Andi have to offer, but could not find the free Moser Monte download. Tips, anyone?

Hi Bill,

I looked back through the logs and found the issue you were having. It was a small bug affecting a few people. It is now fixed and you'll be able to get to the video without issue.

Let me know how you get on.

--Andi (aka "those in charge")

It's a GREAT video too!

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 29th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Like I was sayin', Andi and Josh are a couple of stand-up guys (mensches). Thanks for the Moser gift!!

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » November 1st, 2012, 1:39 pm

Now that the grip of Sandy has loosened, I was able to download effortlessly. Thanks very much to Andi, Josh, and Vanishing, Inc.

I dare anyone reading this to check out their website and NOT find something of interest and desire.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » November 2nd, 2012, 1:40 am

For anyone using Phoenix cards, Card Shark has the Moser Monte cards in Phoenix. I ordered a few things from them on Monday and the package arrived today.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 3rd, 2012, 11:50 pm

If you liked the Jerry Andrus illusion (I did), go check out his "Parabox" from the May 1984 issue of Richard's Almanac, which exploits the same principle.

If that's too much trouble, look at this dragon.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 4th, 2012, 1:28 am

I picked "Spook Blocks" because it's a more advanced version of "Parabox" and the dragon. When "Spook Blocks" starts wiggling back and forth on the end of the pencil, reality seems to melt away.

For those who are interested, pop-artist Roy Lichtenstein built almost an exact duplicate of Jerry's "house" version of the "Parabox" as a full-size sculpture which is now on display at the National Gallery Sculpture Garden in Washington, DC. I contacted the artist's archive and there is no record of him being in contact with Andrus, but Jerry's work precede's Lichtenstein's by years, so it's curious indeed! Look here:

http://www.nga.gov/feature/sculpturegar ... ure15.shtm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqsI09Tx2Sk

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 4th, 2012, 3:53 am

I have one of the dragons on a shelf in my office. It's a wonderful object. Now I'll have to make the Spook Blocks up...

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 28th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Richard - in the Richard's Almanac article I referred to above, it mentions a proposed book by Andrus of cut-out optical illusions. Did this happen?

And some more good illusions.

Return to “Buzz”