Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 4

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Harry Lorayne

Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 4

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 9th, 2012, 4:59 pm

I thought I could copy/paste a copy of the full-page ad for Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 4, but can't. The ad will appear in Genii, and elsewhere, soon, but I've sent the ad as an attachment to my email mailing list - advanced notice, because it's a very limited printing. Anyway, if interested send your email address to me at harrylorayne@earthlink.net and I'll send you the ad. Best - Harry L.

Evan Shuster

Re: Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 4

Postby Evan Shuster » September 9th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 9th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Thanks, Evan. How the h*ll did you do that? I've copy/pasted it to individuals, but it wouldn't "accept" here. Best - Harry L.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 13th, 2012, 12:45 am

I've just been asked, and was reminded, since I've done it for some over the years...yes, if there's a financial problem, you can make a down payment and I would hold the book or books for you - then you could pay it off in increments. Etc. I was reminded of this because of the special you can read about in the ad Evan was nice enough to post for me a post or two above. Anyway - just trying to help (the record keeping is a bit of a pain). If you're interested email to my personal email address - harrylorayne@earthlink.net . Harry L.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 16th, 2012, 3:20 pm

For those who've asked...the full-page ad depicted in this thread was to appear in the November Genii - it will appear a bit later, in a following issue. And yes, I am taking/fulfilling orders as we speak. Best - Harry L.

Mr. K

Postby Mr. K » October 18th, 2012, 8:50 am

Its all about Harry Lorayne!!
>Its Only MAGIC!!<

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 18th, 2012, 12:28 pm

No, actually, Mr. K (for "Knowledgeable"?) only The Magic Book is "about me" 'cause I wrote it. The other two are about David Regal and Ken Krenzel respectively!!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 18th, 2012, 2:11 pm

We can all learn from Harry's promotional activity.
But, if you don't have these books, this is a great buy (I spent more than this to get the Regal book alone).
I can't comment on the 'new ideas', I've not seen them, so don't know if the book is worth getting, if you already have the originals.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 18th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Quite honestly, there aren't that many "new ideas." There wasn't really that much need for "new ideas" in THE MAGIC BOOK, STAR QUALITY, THE CARD CLASSICS OF KEN KRENZEL. Every so often, of course, I'd mention that since original publication, I'd learned a different move or sleight that "fits here" and teach that "different move or sleight" after teaching the original.

What originally pushed me into doing the first volume of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION was NOT for people who didn't have the originals (although that did become very important), it was - well, it will be easier to simply quote myself, with a bit of editing, from the preface of the first volume:

"For decades people have talked about the good to great stuff in these four (it eventually became five) books. Because of that I felt that they should be updated, re-written the way I've learned to write over the years. So, that they'd be written much better than the originals - grammar-wise, syntax-wise, and would be much 'tighter' and much, much, better 'teachers.' And - I also decided to do the 'collections' because of the remarks I'd heard over the years, remarks about finding it a pain to 'run' from one book to another or finding it difficult to locate a copy - many times after misplacing it or loaning it out." In other words, MANY just LOVED having them in one volume.

I had no thought of doing another volume of TCC, 1 until I received so many requests to do so. Plus SO many telling me that they had the originals, but just LOVED the "collection." So I guess the book is "worth getting" EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINALS. (According to the opinions of many all over the world.)

I do thank Mr. K and El Mystico for giving me this "plug" opportunity. Thanks, guys. HL.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 18th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Harry: It's probably too late for this, but at some point when you complete the Classic Collecioon series, is there any thought to a comprehensive index of all of the volumes?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 18th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Good idea. Don't know if I'll ever do it, but right now people are trying to get me to do REALLY the last volume - it'd include Doug Edwards Packs A Wallop, Miracle Math, Mathematical Wizardry and The Himber Wallet Book. I honestly don't know if I want to do it, and in any case it would be quite a while. Once I decide, and if I still have the energy, I may just think about doing an index. Actually what would be better is what I did when I wrote Tarbell #7 - that is, put the index at the end of the last of the volumes. (Tarbell #7 was supposed to be the last of the volumes when I did that.)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 18th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Yes, I think if you did what you did with the Index in Tarbell 7 that would be extremely useful indeed (and a strong selling point).

PS: I don't think it's even possible for you to run out of energy! :)

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 19th, 2012, 1:30 am

Mr. Lorayne - I have a suggestion but I understand why you might not want to agree with it.

If you put together L:TCC 5 I believe it would benefit a large number of us if you included a major portion of one of your memory training books. There has been a lot of discussion on other forums about stacks and such.

Any chance?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 19th, 2012, 10:02 am

Not a bad suggestion, but I don't think it'd work. I've always tried not to mix the two - magic/memory. Best - Harry L.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2012, 10:15 am

I think it would be very hard to top a book which contains both Regal's Star Quality and Krenzel's Classics. I had the pleasure of illustration the original publication of the Krenzel book and know first-hand the many superb tricks it contains.

It would be nice to end the series on a very high note.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 19th, 2012, 2:32 pm

You're probably right, Richie. (You also did the great original illustations for my The Magic Book.) I'll just wait and see what kind of requests I get, and how I feel. As I said, don't know if I'll have the energy to do it. And, many are asking me to please, please, publish my autobiography. We shall see.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 19th, 2012, 2:39 pm

My vote is for the autobiography.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 19th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Interesting that so many are asking for me to do that autobiography when there will be no magic in it. I'm wondering how many will really buy it - or not buy it - because of that.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 19th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Harry Lorayne wrote: Interesting that so many are asking for me to do that autobiography when there will be no magic in it. I'm wondering how many will really buy it - or not buy it - because of that.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » October 19th, 2012, 7:33 pm

I'll second that.
These sorts of books, in my opinion, are more revelatory and insightful for aspiring magi and memory workers.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 19th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Denny Haney always says you can learn a ton about magic if you read biographies of great performers.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 20th, 2012, 11:53 pm

I originally planned the autobiography as a book for the public. And wrote it that way. I took quite a few biographical pieces I had written as Out To Lunch columns in APOCALYPSE and used them because they "fit" in my autobiography. That was some years ago - had to put it all aside to do other things (like write The Classic Collection Volumes, Special Effects, etc.). I have to re-write it all. Reason I'm telling you this is - some of the small sections may seem familiar - if you subscribed to APOCALYPSE. Of course, there'll be much more personal stuff in the book - when and if. I'm wondering if this will make a difference to those who would want to buy it. Best - Harry L.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 21st, 2012, 7:41 am

I was an Apocalypse subscriber, and I wouldn't mind the inclusion of those stories I'd read before at all.

However, I would love to read more about your interactions with some of the magic greats that are no longer with us. How you met, the adventures, the friendships (and the disagreements), the pranks, what you discussed and learned and taught, etc.

An entire chapter on those Saturday sessions at the cafeteria would be excellent to me because I'll never experience that.

I'd also like to know how you created some of your most famous effects--the trials and errors, the creative process, etc.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 21st, 2012, 9:35 am

You see, therein lies the problem. Remember, this is an autobiography that was originally written for the public. It tells about my childhood, my background, how I got into the areas (card magic/memory), my army experiences, "life" experiences, "anecdotal" experiences/happenings about and during my performances, and on and on. The public wouldn't/doesn't know about Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, and etc. Therein lies the problem. Whaddya' think? HL.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 21st, 2012, 3:05 pm

This is a great question, and highlights why Harry is a well known name and I'm not.
Who is the target audience? Harry says he wrote it for the general public. So it will have few inside details.
Clearly, if he can get the general public distribution, that is the route to go.
But if he can't, and distributes it in a 'magicians only' route, he's going to get a lot of flack from magicians for not covering the detail.
either he needs to make it really clear what is going on - as he is here - or he needs to rewrite for a magician audience...

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 21st, 2012, 3:29 pm

One of the "thoughts" was/is that once the book is done for the magician audience, copies would be sent to regular publishers. That way, instead of a manuscript, they have an already-done book, and can make an offer, etc. (You see, when and if I want to do a book on memory training - there's no such problem. I call a few publishers that know me and I accept the best offer.)

And - most of my "inside" experiences within specifically the magic world - with known TO MAGICIANS magicians - I've already written in my books for magicians and in APOCALYPSE. Although, as I've already mentioned, some of those, that are not specifically "magic oriented" and which I feel would be interesting to the general public, I am re-writing and using in the autobiography.

Understand that the original idea of me doing an autobiography started with Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft. We traveled to Europe together every summer for FORTY YEARS. I would tell them stories of my childhood, background, how I "moved" from being the most shy kid in the world to who I am now, and etc. And they'd always say, as a joke, "Harry, you've got to right that down - before you forget!" There are sections in the book (if and when) having to do with Mel and Anne (like our experience with a gigantic barracuda during one of our trips to an island, about our many trips to The Lido in Venice, Italy, and more).

Anyway, seems as if I have more thinking to do as to whether or not. In the meantime, who knows?, I may do another book strictly for the magic fraternity! HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 24th, 2012, 11:29 am

Interesting...I've received quite a few calls, mainly from personal magic friends, some saying "Do TCC volume 5 first" others saying, "Do the darn autobiography - even though you won't be teaching any magic in it." There was just one other suggestion - "How about a book containing all the stuff of yours that was in APOCALYPSE over the years?" Choices, choices. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 24th, 2012, 1:38 pm

So far, from the calls I'm getting - it's leaning toward The Classic Collection, Vol. 5.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » October 24th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Just to add my vote and thoughts to the confusion, I say:

1. Finish Lorayne: The Classic Collection with Vol. 5 or however many more it takes
2. Write the autobiography

Three titles that immediately sprung to my mind for the autobiography are:

a. Lorayne: The Classic
b. Lorayne: My Classic Self
c. Lorayne: The Classic Me

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 25th, 2012, 12:11 am

For some reason I believe I will end up buying any book Harry Lorayne ends up writing. I have L:TCC 1-3 and I just have to have the complete collection along with Special Effects when my bank account recovers.

I would really enjoy reading an autobiography, but if there is enough material for a fifth TCC then go for it. (I still vote for a chapter or section on how to memorize a deck order the Lorayne way.)

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » October 25th, 2012, 12:45 pm

This book is available at The Magic Apple if anyone is interested
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 26th, 2012, 3:55 am

I'd like to see a reprint of best of friends vol 2. It's the only one not available.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 4th, 2012, 9:42 am

To those who've ordered this book, or any other, patience please. We've been in the dark, no electricity, freezing, etc., from last Monday up until exactly 4:30am Saturday. I had no access to my computer. I'm trying to email all those who've ordered, or just sent hope that I'm all right as we speak. We're exhausted, but okay. To those who asked, thanks for asking. Best - Harry L. (PS: Computer working fine now, so you can order without hesitation or concern.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 4th, 2012, 12:59 pm

We're all looking forward to your new book, Harry, and we all know you're a tough old guy, so we figured you'd be fine.

My father had no electricity from Monday until Friday evening. He's up on the 22nd floor of an apartment building, so he was unable to walk down the stairs (he's almost 80), and they also had no water because big apartment buildings have to pump the water up. No electricity, no pumps, no water.

Fortunately he had stocked up on water, fruit, bread, and canned goods and made it through.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 4th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Incredible. Thank God your dad is okay. One good thing - the only one I can think of...well, not really...some of the devastation I see on TV is just unbelievable. Anyway, I started to say that at least we did have water - cold as h*ll, but water. So we could flush toilets, wash somewhat, brush our teeth, etc. We had enough food to last us...the cold was the most difficult...we were freezing, sleeping in our clothes, including overcoats. Some of my customers didn't seem to be aware of the storm problem here and were complaining that they haven't received the book they ordered yet. Of course, I didn't see those complaints until the power came back Saturday morning at 4:30am. That's what I meant above - emailing all now letting them know that I'll be mailing books in a few days. Anyway...did the storm hit the Washington, DC area, Richie? Best - Harry. (PS: Yeah, I'm a tough old guy, but not as tough as I used to be!)

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 4th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Because...growing old SUCKS!! (Yeah, yeah, I know...think of the alternative.)

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » November 4th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Move out to California. A little old earthquake every 25 years or so seems like a good alternative to hurricanes. The taxes are outlandish, but no more so than New York's.

It was very thoughtful of you to send us the emails so quickly considering your situation there. Thanks for that, and hopefully things will return to normal for everyone soon.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 7th, 2012, 9:28 am

All orders in the mail yesterday. Thanks for your patience. Enjoy!

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » November 14th, 2012, 11:52 pm

I received the book a couple of days ago and I can attest to its value, especially considering that it is actually three books in one. I have been wanting to buy the David Regal book for awhile now, so I am pleased to see it inside this volume.

Great work, Mr. Lorayne. Keep 'em coming.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”