Modifications to a Thornton Windlass

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Jim Riser

Modifications to a Thornton Windlass

Postby Jim Riser » October 16th, 2012, 12:01 pm

I just finished a couple modifications to an old Thornton Windlass for a working pro and thought that some of you Thornton owners might be interested in seeing these mods.

Click here to see what was done: http://jamesriser.com/Magic/ThorntonMod ... nMods.html

Note: I am not interested in doing this on any other Thorntons. This was merely done to help out a magician whose work I admire.

Enjoy.
JIm

hugmagic

Re: Modifications to a Thornton Windlass

Postby hugmagic » October 18th, 2012, 10:10 pm

I loved to see the modificatons that Al made to this reel. Only a working pro with a mechanical mind, like Al, would have come up with this very workable solution to much needed modification.

As always Jim, I appreciate your simple practical approach to solving a problem.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » October 18th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Richard,
As I understand it, Al used his Thornton to fly a silk across the stage. His old Thornton shows exterior signs of use but is still in great working condition thanks to the extra little spring. He would have wanted a safety brake to cushion the thread end when it hit the reel. His spring solution was a good method for preventing damage to the reel or thread.
Jim

Shorty

Postby Shorty » January 6th, 2013, 11:42 am

Hi Jim

Nice work... I Love the Thornton Reel for years... I never would change to some electronic gadgets!!!

Grettings

Shorty.li

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”