Why is criss angel spamming me?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Brad Henderson

Why is criss angel spamming me?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 12th, 2012, 10:56 pm

I have somehow found myself subscribed to Angel's Magic place email list. I have never bought anything from them, visited their site, or otherwise has any reason to have been opted in on this list. Isn't that illegal?

I wonder if maybe Brooks sold out his database to Criss, or if he lifted emails from some other source. I know for a while this one lady was stealing emails from the TAOM list to spam people.

Any one know how this came about?

Brad

Tom Stone

Re: Why is criss angel spamming me?

Postby Tom Stone » October 12th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Any one know how this came about?

I'm also curious, because I also get spam from them and I can't remember having signed up for it.
I guess it would have been all right if the "newsletter" had contained anything good or useful...but no such luck.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 12th, 2012, 11:14 pm

I had luck! And no spam!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 12th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Amended statement: I've just been spammed.

But legally, as long as they give you an unsubscribe link at the bottom that works, they're in the clear.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 13th, 2012, 5:55 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Amended statement: I've just been spammed.

But legally, as long as they give you an unsubscribe link at the bottom that works, they're in the clear.

Absolute tosh.

Yes, one has to have a working unsub and a real physical address. But doing that doesn't let you spam someone. If you have not opted in to receive email from him, then he is spamming you, illegally, regardless of having a unsub link.

And you can complain.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 13th, 2012, 9:17 am

Think I had a personal speed record for hitting the unsubscribe button.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 13th, 2012, 9:51 am

I've had the email too.
I've no connection with Brooks or the Cafe so the list must have come from another source.

Andrew

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 13th, 2012, 10:40 am

Did the spam come from a legitimate email provider, such as constant contact or mailchimp etc? If so, then a complain to them personally, not just pressing report spam will do wonders and may get his account terminated if enough people complain.

Legally, in the US, this is what you do:

What Can I Do With the Spam in my In-Box?

Report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Send a copy of unwanted or deceptive messages to spam@uce.gov. The FTC uses the unsolicited emails stored in this database to pursue law enforcement actions against people who send deceptive spam email.

Let the FTC know if a "remove me" request is not honored. If you want to complain about a removal link that doesn't work or not being able to unsubcribe from a list, you can fill out the FTC's online complaint form at www.ftc.gov. Your complaint will be added to the FTC's Consumer Sentinel database and made available to hundreds of law enforcement and consumer protection agencies.

Whenever you complain about spam, it's important to include the full email header. The information in the header makes it possible for consumer protection agencies to follow up on your complaint.

Send a copy of the spam to your ISP's abuse desk. Often the email address is abuse@yourispname.com or postmaster@yourispname.com. By doing this, you can let the ISP know about the spam problem on their system and help them to stop it in the future. Make sure to include a copy of the spam, along with the full email header. At the top of the message, state that you're complaining about being spammed.

Complain to the sender's ISP. Most ISPs want to cut off spammers who abuse their system. Again, make sure to include a copy of the message and header information and state that you're complaining about spam.

more:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... tec02.shtm

As a white hat emailer, I hate spammers with a passion. Report him and persue it seriously.

Terry

Postby Terry » October 13th, 2012, 11:32 am

With Outlook, you can forward the email as an attachment and it will contain all identifying information for the agencies.

We do that within the Commonwealth of KY to report spam/phishing to the Commonwealth Office of Tech. so they can block the junk.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » October 13th, 2012, 11:43 am

mrgoat wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:Amended statement: I've just been spammed.

Absolute tosh.

Yes, one has to have a working unsub and a real physical address. But doing that doesn't let you spam someone. If you have not opted in to receive email from him, then he is spamming you, illegally, regardless of having a unsub link.

And you can complain.

Could you please point the unwashed masses to the source of this statement....

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 13th, 2012, 12:47 pm

I think mrgoat is right; but I THINK that is is OK to send unsolicited stuff to work addresses.
If I'm right, then Richard with his Mr Genii hat on might have to put up with it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 13th, 2012, 5:01 pm

El Mystico wrote:I think mrgoat is right; but I THINK that is is OK to send unsolicited stuff to work addresses.
If I'm right, then Richard with his Mr Genii hat on might have to put up with it.

No. You can legally send email to someone you've had a business relationship with. So rk can email magazine subscribers with news of the genii bash.

But you cannot, in americanland or England, email any email address without either an opt in or a previous business relationship.

Terry

Postby Terry » October 14th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Return to “General”