We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2012, 11:53 pm

I just want to say thank you to the over 800 people who attended our sold-out 75th Anniversary Birthday Bash and made it so much fun.

Yes, we had a fantastic line-up of performers.

Yes, we had a gift bag with 26 items that no one will ever be able to match.

Yes, we had oodles of famous magicians just come to the convention and hang out.

YES! We let Real Secrets host a party and 110 members showed up!

YES! Uri Geller gave a 90 minute lecture and got two standing ovations.

BUT ... you can't have a great convention without attendees who want to have fun and love good magic, so thank you to all who attended.

Please post your favorite moments other other memories here!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Larry Horowitz

Re: We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Postby Larry Horowitz » October 8th, 2012, 3:03 am

Richard,

Aside from the obvious seeing old friends, meeting new ones and have a great time.

The biggest smile on my face was from seeing the attendees response and reaction to Rob Zabrecky.

I have known him for years at the castle and now the world knows him. He is one hell of a nice guy and has worked very hard to hone his character.

So corny as it sounds my favorite moment didn't happen to me. But I really enjoyed it.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » October 8th, 2012, 6:29 am

The 7 Veils ( As Told to us by the Maestro Juan Tamariz )

( 1 ) The Mystery of Love ( Of the Art & Craft ) [ Passion ]

( 2 ) The Mystery of Effort

( 3 ) The Mystery of Knowledge

( 4 ) The Mystery of Energy [ Mental, Physical, Spiritual ]

( 5 ) The Mystery of [ telling the ] Truth

( 6 ) The Mystery of a Rich, Internal World-View

( 7 ) The Mystery of Love ( Of the People ) [ Relationship & Respect ]

I would like to add: If you look at all the performers who received standing ovations at the convention, you will notice that they all conveyed the often intuitive aspects of Juan's list above. Tamariz said that the 7 Veils are the true secrets of magic. I think part of Juan's genius is being able to convey with clarity both the emotions and intelligence of his art and craft to perfection, not only in performance and practice, but in theory and understanding as well.

J Christensen

Postby J Christensen » October 8th, 2012, 8:11 am

Best convention I ever attended, hands down. So many great moments. Rod Zabrecky was certainly one. Christian Engblom's close-up show performance was a highlight. David Ben's lecture on the coin magic of Ross Bertram was a personal favorite. The way the convention was organized and run--Margaret's and the staff's cheerful assistance for all three days. Tom Stone's close-up show was a highlight. The hotel staff was a delight. I loved everything about it!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 8th, 2012, 11:20 am

Zabrecky was the highlight for me. Astounding. But it was the best convention I'd attended, so it was hard to pick one thing.

Thank you Richard. Awesome.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 8th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Rob Zabrecky was a highlight for me as well.
I saw his act 9-10 years ago at the Castle, and it was brilliant even back then. But the character have evolved since then, so it was even more brilliant now. And I sense that the character is still evolving.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » October 8th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Aside from the obvious highlights of Tamariz's and Giobbi's workshops and the great close up shows, a personal favorite for me was not even on the schedule...that is, getting to get inside Bob Farmer's brain for a little while...oh what a scary and brilliant landscape that is. Aside from finding out that we have lived lives in a parallel universe, I found his approach to invention lies on a road up a mountain from another planet. What a long strange trip it's been.

Bob Klase

Postby Bob Klase » October 8th, 2012, 2:27 pm

It would be tough to list all the highlights for me. Tom Stone and Rob Zabrecky would both top my list, but many others would be right up the with them.

Seeing friends that I hadn't seen in years (18 years in one instance), having the chance to meet friends I'd know via the internet for years but never met- Dustin Stinett and others.

There might have been some room for improvement in the video camera work for many of the lectures and shows, but everything worked out okay eventually.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 8th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Rob Z and Tom Stone were performing highlights.

Meeting many people for the first time was another.

Being asked to be part of it was huge.

On a personal level, around 8.05am on Thursday, when we realised that we were going to need a bigger boat, was humbling and thrilling in equal measures. Then, on Friday, when most of them came back.

But Rob Z. W00t!

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 8th, 2012, 2:59 pm

For me was Rob Zabreky and Tom Stone.

A great convention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this moment i'm waiting my plane to return to my "real" life and my "real" work ..... What a shame..... but the weekend was fabulous
Andres Reynoso

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 8th, 2012, 3:06 pm

The attendees said it was great.

The dealers said it was great.

The performers said it was great.

The folks working behind the scenes said it was great.

It was an historic, joyful tribute to magic's oldest independent magazine and to the people who nurtured it along the way.

And it was a tribute to my buddy Richard Kaufman that he carried it all off with aplomb.

Thank you, Richard. It was a pleasure to have been there and an honor to have played even a small role. You did a magnificent job.

(But we all knew you would!)

Matt Field

kevinm

Postby kevinm » October 8th, 2012, 4:13 pm

My favorite moments were:

1. Attending my first magic convention
2. Performances, lectures, and more magic than I could handle
3. Roberto Giobbi sitting next to me during one of the lectures
4. Meeting nice people who share the same passion
5. Visting my dad after the convention

Brad Ball
Favorite Magician: Cardini, Cardini, Cardini

Postby Brad Ball » October 8th, 2012, 4:15 pm

It's been a fantastic time for everybody involved. And we all got the sense of how special it was from the beginning till the end. Congratulations Richard, well done indeed!

NYCJoePItt

Postby NYCJoePItt » October 8th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:
On a personal level, around 8.05am on Thursday, when we realised that we were going to need a bigger boat, was humbling and thrilling in equal measures. Then, on Friday, when most of them came back.

And major kudos to Ian who made it that much harder to get any sleep by making it SO worthwhile to get up every morning to watch him in action and share his talent with us. Ian's morning 'lectures' were probably my favorite. He is funny, talented, giving, nutty, and a great instructor. It's no wonder everything he brought sold out!
Thanks again, Ian!

Jonathanrian

Postby Jonathanrian » October 8th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Richard,

More than a magazine... more than a birthday party... more than a convention....

Your work embiggens us all! And yes, its a perfectly cromulent word. (Hat tip to The Simpsons.)

Seriously, congratulations on so much more than Geniis long lifespan. Of course Genii continues to be a great and long-standing, principal periodical for the industry; but more than that, you and your team help it to be an institution that really connects and strengthens the magic community.

I was thrilled to be there for the celebration, and everyone I spoke with during the event loved being there, too.

I sincerely enjoyed each lecture and performance from a lineup of not just one, but many of our greatest living magicians. Beyond official Bash performers, the list of attendees included so many more amazing talents, well known and not that it seemed around every corner was a great impromptu conversation or performance.

I found the schedule to be packed and in a perfect way, and the Zwoor app made it even better. The dealers room had hours that were nicely balanced, and had a varied array of dangerously attractive items.

The padfolios were more than simply functional, logo-embossed tokens from a typical conference registration their content made them into Hollywood-award-show swag bags.

On top of that, you had so many more items to give away, that you barely had enough time to GIVE them all away. Richard, the look on your face, as you were unloading the last of the bounty into the crowd on the final day, was priceless Im not sure who was having more fun you, or your clamoring fans! (At least, that state on you face appeared to be joy, but I can understand it might have been relief... or exhaustion-induced insanity).

You really went over-the-top in many dimensions, and you exceeded high expectations by me and many. I left with great feelings and memories, new friendships and new understandings about magic, and a deeper respect for what you do for all of us.

Thank you, to you and your Genii team, for organizing an experience that was extraordinary in so many ways. Congratulations on the success of both the magazine and the birthday bash!

PS Despite all this, I may be holding you responsible for my medical condition. I think I need a brain transplant since Tamariz broke mine. (Damian may argue that I needed one before the Bash, but hed be at least a little wrong.)
~ Jonathan

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Ha! Thanks so much.

I think I'm the one who needs the brain transplant.

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » October 8th, 2012, 8:44 pm

It was a wonderful convention in so many ways! A great chance to catch up with old friends, watch some of the best in the business, and discover some wonderful artists I hadn't seen before (like Yumi and Tomo Maeda). Richard Kaufman really did things right with this one, and it's now officially my favorite magic convention! I only wish I could go to it again next year, and the year after, and the year after...

I was only sad that I had to miss some things I wanted to see due to our own attempts to get everything ready for our show, or just to get a little bit of sleep after staying up too late the night before. But it was a thrill to be a part of it all, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity!

Greg Bozonelos

Postby Greg Bozonelos » October 8th, 2012, 9:31 pm

This was absolutely one of the best conventions I have ever attended! I was able to visit with friends that I had not seen in many years. Highlights for me were many. But I have to highlight Rob Zabrecky, Juan Tamariz, and also Ian Kendall for energizing the early mornings. I also enjoyed the manipulation acts and the opportunity to see the Bunko routine performed by Jim Steinmeyer. There was a great selection of dealers. And I must also mention the great bonus items received. Although I was sad that I did not win any of the raffle items, I still walked away with enough complimentary material to keep me busy for a long time. Many thanks to Richard and his entire team for putting together this fantastic event. I am so glad that I was able to attend and only hope that consideration will be given to planning another Genii convention in a few years.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2012, 9:50 pm

No more conventions from the Genii! I'm still trying to catch my breath. Glad you had a great time.

Steven Kline

Postby Steven Kline » October 8th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Just a quick note to thank Richard, Liz and the entire convention staff for all their hard work both in Orlando and WAY before the convention began. Most do not realize the work that goes into these types of events. From a production point of view, people enjoy the result of what we do, they wouldn't want to do what we do. Each and every act I worked with this past weekend was beyond professional and a real treat to deal with. It was an honor to be behind the scenes controlling the shows and pulling off one of the BEST magic conventions I have been involved with in years ! There were many challenges and a few VERY stressful moments but in the end, it was a GREAT event and experience. I hope all of you feel the same.
Time for a little R & R here in Orlando with my family then back out on the road until April - Hope to see you along the way
All the best,
Steven Kline

Terry Oberman

Postby Terry Oberman » October 8th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Favorite moments?

Of course Juan Tamariz!
Seeing Chad Long, Rob Zabreky, Uri Geller, Charlie Frye and Tom Stone.
The Real Secrets party (Tim Trono was a gracious and generous host)
That Genii portfolio packed with goodies.
All the giveaways

All in all a great convention

Come on Richard, Genii will be 76 next year. Lets have another Bash!!

Terry Oberman

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2012, 12:18 am

Just one, with a gift bag that could never be duplicated and a line-up of performers that could never be duplicated.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 9th, 2012, 12:49 am

I went into overload. For me meeting the TX squad. Bob White,
Jared Kopf, and Gary Plants. Kent Gunn is funnier without forum restrictions (although I never did see the C&B, even though he promised). And Bob Farmer is a real person, and a nice guy.
Too many highlights to mention.
And after carrying the portfolio around for half an hour, thought I had to find a chiropractor.
Worst... having to leave first thing Sunday morning, staying up way too late on Saturday night, technically Sunday morning. And having a funny pilot very early Sunday morning. Thinking I had stumbled correctly onto the plane heading to Manchester, NH, he said we'd have an 8.5 hour trip to Manchester, England. Wasn't too funny.
Many kudos to Richard and staff.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » October 9th, 2012, 11:02 am

My firest convention, so I can't compare to any previous experiences and I am now probably ruined for any future events.

Rob Zabrecky's performance was incredible, wish I lived in the LA area, my wife would have loved it.

I have been really down on card magic, Tamariz brought back the spark I have lost.

Got to speak with Uri Gellar Sunday morning for a few mintues, that was pretty cool.

Missed Bob Farmer, but got to talk to Gary Plants and so many more people I "grew-up" with from my early magic purchasing life.

Got to meet a few forum friends: Tony Miller and Rosie, Kent Gunn, Jeff Pierce.

The Real Secrets event was an added bonus.

And so much more. There was almost too much to do.

Thanks to The entire Genii Staff, past and present for making it happen.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 9th, 2012, 11:20 am

I can hardly wait for next year's con.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » October 9th, 2012, 11:52 am

Hey, Bob, did you hear the same thing I did?
The next con is in February, 2013? Wow! I'll be rested by then.
BTW Great to see you and all of the others we see so infrequently in the flesh.
Onward...

Corbett Troyer

Postby Corbett Troyer » October 9th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Loved every minute, and felt the weekend was worth every cent. Richard, I know all the acts on stage were video-taped. Any change attendees would get access to the performaces?

Again, a great overall experience.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 9th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Thinking back now, I really enjoyed David Ben's lecture on
Ross Bertram. Among many others.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 9th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Another hightlight for me, aside from finally meeting Kent Gunn, was Monday night. I went to the Halloween Horror thing with Brad Henderson which was awesome, then when we got back S. Tamariz was still going, with 3 other people watching. This went on until about 4:15am. Every 30 minutes Eric Mead said "Right, I;m going to have to go to bed" then Tamariz would start another effect.

He did one last effect. I wrote this up immediately afterwards so I wouldn't misremember. I was sober.

He shuffled the deck. Handed it out to be shuffled and cut into 3 packets. Each packet given to a magician. He then asked me to name any card. From that point on he didn't touch the cards. He turned his back and got people to swop over any number of cards amongst the three holders of the packets. Any number. He turns back. Holds his hand over the packets. Eliminated two. Said it was in the last packet. Impressive enough, really. But wait...

He asked if the card should be on the top, the bottom or do a double somersault out of the deck. The somersault was selected. He got someone to point. They pointed to his chest. He hadn't touched the cards since I named my choice.

He lifted his jumper, and in his breast pocket was one card. My card. And it was missing from the deck.

We all sat there dumbfounded.

I keep thinking about it and get even more confused. Brilliant.

Thanks for all the hard work Richard, it was brilliant.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 9th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Were you sitting in special chairs?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm

The videos were made purely for our archival purposes and will not be released.

And, yes, David Ben's lecture on Ross Bertram was a highlight--I loved hearing the guys in the audience gasp when David explained a method that was exactly the opposite of what they were thinking!

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » October 9th, 2012, 3:00 pm

All right, damn it! I cant stand it, I tell ya! I hereby appoint myself official Spokesman for the unfortunate souls who didn't attend this stellar convention. We need information about everything that occurred. Specifically:

1) An obsessively detailed description of every single formal performance and lecture.
2) An obsessively detailed description of every single informal session.
3) Lurid stories of chemically-induced merriment and mayhem.
4) The good, the bad and the ugly experiences in the dealers room.
5) Assessment of the venue, scheduling and organization.
6) Assessment of the technical, production values.
7) The contents of the Swag Bag.

Yes, we should have attended. Yes, we will devote the rest of our lives to remorseful self-flagellation for missing out on this once in a lifetime event. Yes, we have no business asking about the wondrous experiences that occurred.

But please, oh please, throw us a meaty bone. Inquiring, masochistic minds need to know.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 9th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Thank you Richard, Margret, Liza, Dustin, the Solomons....people I'm probably forgetting...this was an incredible event!

Personal highlights:

- Uri Geller! Seeing him perform live was a revelation. Learned a helluva lot and will be processing that talk for a long time to come. Wow. His challenge to "do something viral" has me hitting the mindmapping hard...As a performer, his presentation of material -- the finger tip lift and the revelation of the thought of word -- was the most compelling, engaging, and flabbergasting performance of mentalism that I have seen live...the man has drive, charisma, and balls of titanium...there is a lot to learn from watching him (as I write this I see the banner ad that says "Uri Geller Will Mesmerize You" -- boy did you guys deliver on that for me)
- Rob Zabrecky -- clear character with total commitment.
- Seeing Conover's Cylinder and Coins in the hands of Eric Mead...elegant, elegant, construction...clarity of effect...just a beautiful piece of magic and I thought it was classy of Eric to mention that he was in Tim's reflected light (I thought the performance was masterful)
- Charlie Frye's ending build -- strong, energetic "finish" had us on our feet; and then less than 10 seconds later the hat and vest had us right back...we didn't think it could be topped, then it was (same for Tamariz' repeat of the Larry Grey Cards Across with the inner jacket pocket ending)...has me thinking about my own closing number and how I can goose it into that next gear
- Peter Samelson! The smoke transforming into coins inside the wineglass was gorgeous...and his remains the premiere presentation of snowstorm (and the reason I won't do it -- I feel like his interpretation is definitive, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong
- Lukas' barehanded vanishes -- deserved Max Maven's "so that's what manipulation is supposed to look like..."
- Maven on equivoque -- I've read his booklet, the Berglas material, and studied the DVD...but seeing it live really helped to have the mindset sink in deeper...I've done it with random objects at parties before, and it always plays very strongly. But last night for the first time did it on stage with a client's products -- and I feel it was MUCH stronger for having seen Max so recently before...I'm going to have a lot of fun exploring in this area further...
-Tomo Maedo's restored balloon
- Christian Engblom's vanishing pocket
- Tom Stone!
- Jim Steinmeyer on the presentation of illusions...I've just begun, in the last 10 months, to perform metamorphosis...and the transition from performing stage and close-up magic to performing an illusion has been one of the greatest challenges of my career (even more than making the jump from the restaurant table to the platform -- which seemed a huge leap at the time)...it has opened a whole galaxy of considerations that weren't there...and it was very helpful to hear Jim talk about that process and the differences required by the genres (and as someone who has made a living for 8 years performing sleight-of-hand; his comments on the smug stereotype about easy "box tricks" from close-up magicians are dead-on...it ain't as easy as it looks)...also Jim's notes on writing material for Ginger Leigh ("She was beautiful and didn't say much, so when she did it was important") had me thinking about my assistant's role and what I have her saying (and singing in our case)...it feels, at times, like a jumbled mess and I think Jim's process is giving me a bit of a clear path (I'm devouring Technique and Understanding this week)

While not part of the convention, I lump together in my experience of the week The Magic Estate's jam session on the first night of the convention. The Magic Estate is a home shared by four young magicians in Orlando, that is known for hosting epic parties/jam sessions. Several of the convention goers who were in the loop made it out, and were treated to a performance from Giovanni Livera for 120 people jammed into the house's indoor theater -- Gio featured his beautifully constructed Coins and Salt routine and had the room on fire. Following that we headed outside for shows from 20 penny circus, the Naked Mentalist (both of whom are currently performing an extended run at Universal Studios as a featured part of Halloween Horror Nights), followed by a show stopping performance from Boston-based Comedy Stuntman Wacky Chad...A very memorable night that made for an incredible opening to my Genii week experience...

Thanks to all who made this happen!

Nathan

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » October 9th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Ah, yummy!

Those are the details that we crave. Thanks Nathan!

Keep 'em coming guys.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 9th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Doc Eason tells me that he's sold a few copies of Leading With your Head since the weekend, so I know at least some people were listening to what I had to say...

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » October 9th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Nathan, I've so got your back re illusions. :)

I'm grateful, as you no doubt are, that before I became a stage illusionist I had the benefit of Jim's body of work and knowledge on the subject of illusions, their history, and performing them. Incredibly valuable.

You are absolutely correct that the close-up guys who delight in calling illusionists 'box pushers' (and I readily admit, many are and have no business performing them) or claiming that performing illusions on stage is 'easy and that anyone could do it' don't know what they're talking about. I've done close-up and stage (parlor) magic all my life, and I would not hesitate to say that performing illusions is the most challenging of them all. And I don't necessarily mean technically difficult, though that can sometimes be the case. I think every close up magician would benefit from performing illusions on the stage at some point, if only to gain a stronger knowledge of the theatrical nature of magic to then apply to their close-up performances.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2012, 5:32 pm

You asked for it! Here is the letter that came in the gift bag explaining the contents:

Your Genii 75th Anniversary Birthday Bash Gift Bag

This folio containing your gifts was generously donated by my friend David Copperfield in celebration of Geniis 75th anniversary.

Your gifts, a token of our appreciation for attending our celebration, are described below. Some items are readily visible in the folio, but others are hidden in various pockets. Have fun exploring! (One helpful hint: some of the instructions for the card tricks are in the zippered mesh compartment under the large flap on the left side.)
Thanks for attending our 75th Anniversary Bash and enjoy this wonderful folio of gifts donated by the many generous dealers, advertisers, and friends of Genii, The Conjurors Magazine.
Richard Kaufman

Juan Pair, donated by Juan Tamariz, Stephen Minch, and Genii
The publication of any new effect by the master Juan Tamariz is cause for celebration, but the publication of two, his handlings for an ungimmicked Rising Cards and Vernons Travelers, makes it a doubly special event. Written by Stephen Minch of Hermetic Press, these delightful routines will introduce you to a new culling technique by Juan as well as give you the usual Tamarizian lessons in the psychology of expert card handling.

The Blue Crown DVD Sampler, donated by The Blue Crown
Alex Pandrea, chief of The Blue Crown, has put together this special sampler of their DVD line just for our convention. It features David Roth performing and explaining his classic Hanging Coins, Tony Changs mind-banging Sandwiches, Richard Huckos clever Hucko Steal, and an excellent tutorial on The Turnover Pass by Pandrea, a true master of the sleight.

Branded donated by Tim Trono
Tim Tronos amazing extension of Jack Tillars effect Blister will allow you to cause an ostensibly normal blister on your finger to visibly morph into the index of a chosen cardboth the numeral and pip (and there are several to choose from). Your hands dont go into your pockets and its something the spectator will never forget. This new handling contains a devilishly easy and deceptive force by Paul Wilson.

Lennart Green Deck (plus discount coupon for EMC products) donated by Luis de Matos and EMC
If theres anyone who doesnt think Lennart Green is cool I havent met him. And what better way to celebrate this Swedish maestro of the pasteboards than with a Lennart Green deck of cards, courtesy of Luis de Matos and the Essential Magic Collection. Dont miss the wrapper on the deck because it offers you a 10 percent online discount off products from the Essential Magic Collection at essentialmagiccollection.com

Olram Aces Plus, donated by Jon Racherbaumer, Tim Trono, and Genii
There have been an untold number of versions of what most people think of as McDonalds Aces, actually a routine of Johann Hofzinsers dating back to 1850 called The Power of Faith. One of the best is Jon Racherbaumers Olram Aces, presented here in a new handling including the necessary gimmicked cards.

Big Blind Media DVD Sampler, donated by Big Blind Media
Owen Packard and Big Blind Media, purveyors of fine digital magic, have provided this DVD sampler which highlights their excellent YouTube channel and DVD sets, and has performances and explains of seven excellent effects from Cameron Francis, Joshua Jay, Terry Lagerould, Alan Rorrison, John Bannon, Dave Solomon, and Liam Montier.

Mosers Miracle Monte, donated by Vanishing Inc.

Of all the Monte tricks inspired by Theodore DeLands Pickitout from 1907 (and that includes those by Eddie Taytelbaum, Mike Skinner, and Mike Rogers), the first real enhancement came from Harry Anderson. Wolfgang Mosers handling takes that a step farther and is one of the most commercial tricks on the market. You receive the special cards and instructions.

Intuition, donated by Real Secrets
Since everything from Real Secrets is, well, a real secret, theoretically I cant tell you about this. But that seems to be a contradiction since its being given to you in this gift bag! I guess I can tell you about it. One of the things which the Real Secrets team is very good at is disguising magical props as ordinary objectsin this case, an effect normally done with playing cards masquerades as one of those ubiquitous blow-in cards that are always falling out of magazines. The Intuition Development Center is going to help you expand your inner senses by separating red and black squares. I think youll be tickled by the method.

Reel Magic No.28 DVD, donated by Kozmo Magic

Reel Magic is a magazine-on-DVD, the only one of its kind in our field, and were very pleased that Kozmo, the brains behind it all, has donated the latest issue to all of you. The feature interview is with Josh Jay. The DVD features columns by Jon Armstrong, Garrett Thomas, and Simon Lovell; reviews by Wayne Kawamoto and David Regal; tricks explained by Josh Jay, David Acer, and Jim Loscutoff; and move monkeys with Steve Bargatze, Lou Carreon, and Kenny Shelton. Lots of fun stuff to watch and learn in this issue of Reel Magic.

Genii 75th Anniversary Magic Set donated by Hanky Panky Toys
Hanky Panky was very kind in donating a magic set for each one of you to celebrate Geniis 75th birthday. As the only maker of magic sets endorsed by FISM, Hanky Panky has been making European magic sets for decades. For us, they have produced a miniature set containing half a dozen effectsall quite good, whether classic or new. Hanky Panky also manufactures custom magic sets for various magicians around the world.

Cheating at Cheating, donated by Magicana
After some generous words of welcome in which David Ben explains the mission of Magicana, his non-profit organization in Canada dedicated to the exploration of magic as a performing art, he treats us to a tricky bit of video titled Cheating at Cheating. In it he demonstrates but does not explain various bits of amazing card handling, much of which comes from The Expert at the Card Table. This is followed by an excerpt from a recent issue of Magicol titled Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Erdnase. Navigate through the excerpt using the arrow keys on your DVD remote control or computer keyboard (not your mouse). If you find viewing it on the screen inconvenient, you may download the article for free from www.magicana.com/geniibash.

Jay Sankeys The Fine Print, donated by Elmwood Magic
Jay Sankey has created magic since the early 1980s, and I was pleased to write, illustrate, and publish his first two books Sankey Panky and 100% Sankey. This effect from Elmwood Magic emphasizes the simpler side of Sankeya card force and the supplied special card produce a memorable miracle. Elmwood Magic will be having a drawing in the dealer room each night for a $100 gift certificates worth of products from their website.

Mahatma, donated by The Conjuring Arts Research Center
While magic had a rich history in Asia, the United Kingdom, and Europe, it was a bit of a slow-starter in the new United States, where the earliest magic dealers, the Lubins, C. Milton Chases father Nathaniel, and Joseph Hartz, didnt open shops until somewhere between 1851 and 1860. The first magazine didnt appear until 1895, but once it got going after a few false starts and different owners, Mahatma became an invaluable source of information and the progenitor of all American magic magazines that followed, including The Sphinx and, later, Genii. Published for 11 years, obtaining a full file of Mahatma over 100 years after it ceased publication was a Herculean task. The Conjuring Arts Research Center presents this CD-Rom containing every issue of Mahatma in full color, in fully-searchable PDF format. Note that this disc must be used in your computer, not a stand-alone DVD player.

Alan Alans Dual Control donated by L&L Publishing

Dual Control is an amazing utility gimmick. If youve ever wanted to perform the Magnetized Pencils or Magnetized Cards, where objects adhere to your skin as if by magic, or the Rising Cards with a borrowed deck, Alans handling of the Dual Control gimmick will enable you to do all that and more. I used to visit Alan Alans shop The Magic Spot and see him demonstrate this behind the counter and it always fooled me. Patrick Page hosts this DVD and also assists Alan with explaining the methods. Its amusing to watch these two old pros (and friends) as Pat is trying to move Alan along during the explanations, with Alan having a hard time getting a word in. And take special note of the extra handling by Fred Kaps for the Magnetized Pencil.

Mutanz or Headhunter, donated by Robert Farmer
From the mysterious Mr. Farmer youll receive one of two of his most amazing packet tricks, both involving secretly gimmicked cards and mind-bending psychology for the utmost packeteers escape from reality.

Jerry Andruss Spook Blocks, donated by Genii and the Estate of Jerry Andrus
Ive always been a big fan of both of Jerry Andruss passions: magic and optical illusions. While I have published his optical illusion Parabox several times in the past, for our gift bag I sought out one of his more advanced items that has not been widely reproduced: Spook Blocks. It takes the simple optical effect of Parabox, where a concave three-dimensional item appears to become convex, and amplifies it, making your head spin with the impossibility of what youre seeing.

The Magic of Mlis DVD, donated by Kino Video and Genii

Kino Video produces this wonderful DVD containing 15 films by Georges Mlis followed by a documentary George Mlis: Cinema Magician. Mlis was a magician and the manager of the Theatre Robert-Houdin, as well as one of the earliest film-makers and the discoverer of the special effect in cinema. In these films, some of which feature magical effects achieved through early special effects, you can still see the charm Mlis captured in his work. If youve seen Martin Scorseses extraordinary film Hugo, then get ready to experience the original Magic of Mlis.

Dr. Sawas Fortune-Telling Card, donated by Genii
When I published Sawas Library of Magic in the late 1980s, one of my favorite effects required a unique gimmicked card that allows you to reveal four predicted cards in different sizes and shapes. Ive not seen a single person perform it even though it requires no sleight of hand and is unique in all of card magic. Youll find new instructions herein along with the required special gimmickplease try it out.

Scarnes Ace Cutting, donated by Ray Goulet
In his autobiography The Odds Against Me, John Scarne relates how he was able to cut to the Aces from a shuffled deck in the presence of well-known gamblers. The trick has been a legend for many years, and my guess is that Scarne used different methods based on the particular circumstance in which he found himself. Karl Fulves has published a riffle shuffle control that Scarne explained to him, and stated he used it for the Ace-cutting routine. Scarne tipped an entirely different method to Ray Goulet many decades ago. It is, Scarne told him, the technique he really used to cut to the Aces for Arnold Rothstein. Get ready to learn The Pinch.

Derek Dingles Lightning Card to Wallet, donated by Richard Kaufman
While later in life Derek Dingle, perhaps the greatest natural close-up sleight of hand artist of the 20th century, used the Card in Envelope style wallet usually credited to Paul LePaul, in the 1970s he used what is known as the Balducci/Kaps Wallet. Dereks handling for the repeat Card to Wallet has never been published, and with it Dingle was able to load a wallet and bring it out of his pocket faster than anyone Ive ever seen. Ive kept this a secret for 30 years, but now its time to share it with you.

Theodore DeLands Fadeaway Card, donated by Genii
The death of the back palm trumpeted the ads by Theodore DeLand in The Sphinx magazine in 1908. The Back Palm did not diefar from it; its performed by magicians all around the world every day. But the principle behind DeLands Fadeaway Card has been a secret that some wily magicians have been using under the radar, even in FISM competitions. Yes, it really works, and the gimmick is now printed by the United States Playing Card Company to match a Bicycle deck. Dont fool yourself by thinking that it doesnt work!

Theodore DeLands Eureka Card Trick, donated by Genii

Theodore DeLand invented the principle of printing overlapping playing cards on the face of a single card for his Phantom Card Trick in 1907. With the Eureka Card trick of 1913, he combined the idea with a double ended card printed on the opposite side, creating a new dimension in card magic. The gimmick is printed by the United States Playing Card Company to match a Bicycle deck.

Tom Palmers Insta-Flash! Illusion, donated by Paul Osborne Illusion Systems
The late Tony Andruzzis real name (well, his second real name) was Tom Palmer, and he was one of the most creative and funny magicians of his time. Paul Osborne, illusion designer and a Genii columnist for many years, has drawn up a previously unpublished illusion concept by Palmer in honor of our 75th Anniversary.

Friendly Fire, donated by Ben Harris
This 142-page ebook is a compilation of magic and theory from Ben Harriss New Directions Magazine, published from 1985 to 1987. The contributors include Jerry Andrus, Jon Racherbaumer, Jay Sankey, Steve Dusheck, Ian Baxter, Sixten Beme, Mike Gallo, Harry Lorayne, Ed Marlo, Richard Sanders and others. Locate the card in the folio with the URL and download the book. It expires on October 14, next Monday, so dont wait!

PLF Marked ESP Cards, donated by Tannens Magic
Ive been going to a magic shop owned by one of the Tannen brothers since the age of 7 or 8. First it was Mike Tannens Circle Magic, and then Lou Tannens at 1540 Broadway. Both were mystical places where dreams resided. Today Tannens Magic is owned and operated by Adam Blumenthal, an enterprising young man bringing back the great traditions of the company. Tannens Magic has donated a set of 5 specially-marked ParaLabs ESP symbol cards, which will allow you to perform some remarkable psychic miracles.

All Roads Lead to Genii, donated by Genii (of course)
Hideo Katos ingenious effect All Roads Lead to Rome appears in the November 1986 issue of Genii. For our 75th Anniversary, Ive produced a new and amusing version of this clever trick. No matter what magazine you try to read, all roads lead to Genii. But you already knew that or you wouldnt be here!

The Lost Dai Vernon Lecture DVD, donated by Genii and The Estate of Dai Vernon

Every lecture that Dai Vernon gave was different, even if he was lecturing on the same effects and routines. This particular lecture (shot in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1976) has never been released before, and it offers yet again stunning proof of his masterful insight and ability in all areas of magic. It pleases me no end to be able to present this DVD to you because it contains some things that I saw Vernon do in 1983 when we first met and never thought I would see again, such as The Berg Knot and his masterful handling of The Bottom Change. The natural ease with which Vernon executes the extremely difficult card sleights in the second half really takes your breath away. This is a lecture to be treasured. The time codes indicate where each item begins.
Cups and Balls (3:10)
Coins in Champaign Glass (18:10)
Coin Star (24:00)
Various Coin Vanishes (25:00)
The Tale of the Treasury-Worm (28:19)
The Daivergent Silk (Color-Changing Handkerchiefs) (30:50)
The Berg Knot (33:10)
Vernon on the Card Index (36:00)
Vernon Handling of the Sacks Dice Routine (39:25)
Salt Pour (43:05)
Four Balls in the Net (46:34)
The Peripatetic Walnuts (57:23)
Double-Backed Cards and The Trick that Fooled Houdini (1:02)
Talk about the Double Lift, The Progenys Transposition, Leipzigs Double Lift (1:05:30)
Talk about timing with the Pass and the Top Change (1:12:50)
Max Malini, Nail Nicking, and The Siamese Aces (1:13:45)
The Bottom Change (1:15:24)
The Top Change (1:16:24)
Color Changes, including Malini, Leipzig, and a Tenkai Palm Color Change (1:18:09)
Erdnase False Overhand ShuffleVernon Technique (1:21:27)
The Push-Through Shuffle and Cut (1:22:37)
Two Ways of Replacing a Palmed Card (1:23:53)
Riffle Pass, Diagonal Palm Shift, and Hand-Washing (1:25:43)
The Gamblers Palm (1:27:30)
Time to Change Palm (1:28:47)
Video Loss of 4 Minutes While Audio Continues (1:30:35)
Erdnase Pushoff Second Deal (1:34:30)
The New Theory Second Deal (1:36:57)
Bottom Deal (1:38:40)
More Talk About The Double Lift (1:40:06)
A Loose Lift (1:42:23)
Double Lift Unload (1:42:56)
The Fingerprint Trick (1:44:30)
Controlling a Card to the Top or Bottom (1:49:50)
Leipzig Hindu Shuffle Force (1:51:15)
The Spectator Peek (1:52:09)
French Shuffle Bottom Control (1:53:18)
Brother Hammans Pinochle Trick (1:53:52)
Video Loss, though patter continues, and Vernon explains how he ends the trick cleanly.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 9th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Besides my post at the House Left door of the main ballroom, my function at the Bash was to make an "obsessive" record of the event for the Chief Genii. I was able to see everything except all of Ian's morning events (only because I had other things I had to do, not because I wasn't awake). I will be reporting on everything to best of my meager abilities.

As for the event itself, I don't want to come off as hyperbolic, but I can honestly say that, for me, the Bash was the event of a lifetime. Besides all the amazing performers and lecturers, my favorite part was meeting all the people. I'm not going to list names because I'd leave someone out and I don't want to do that. Whether Forum regulars, lurkers, Genii readers, or my fellow Bash Staffers, you all know who you are and it was a pure delight to meet you. I hope our paths cross again!

Wayne Houchin

Postby Wayne Houchin » October 9th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Wow. Sounds like a hell of a convention. Am sorry I couldn't make it.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » October 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm

It was better than everyone here has indicated. This was the best convention ever. End of story. There were NO bad marks... The performers were unique in that they were people most of us had dreamed of seeing... Who actually lived up to the dream!

The venue itself was so good. I am just recovering from a heart attack... The hotel itself assigned someone to watch over me. Discretely mind you. I asked about this. I was told by the guy doing the watching that they do it all the time.

My wife Rose was totally blown away by the secondary guests... The ones who came to see the talent but were not advertised. Let me tell ya Mr. Goat was as charming as his name would not indicate! Simon and Ginny and Ray Kosby and Matt Fields Sebastien Clergue and so many others. Sorry if I am rambling here... Richard and his staff did so much to make everyone welcome. As to conventions... The bar is now set so high it is crazy...So good luck to anyone who wants to try...

Tony & Rose
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Return to “Buzz”