Magic Happenings in Washington DC?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Gary Brown

Magic Happenings in Washington DC?

Postby Gary Brown » September 28th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Will be in Washington DC during the 1st week of October. Any magic happenings go on worthy of note? Any shops worth a visit? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Gary Brown

Jeff Eline

Re: Magic Happenings in Washington DC?

Postby Jeff Eline » September 28th, 2012, 11:33 pm

There are no more shops in DC now that Barry's just closed. In Baltimore, just a short drive up 95 you have Denny's (www.dennymagic.com) and the Magic Warehouse ( www.magicwarehouse.com)

The SAM #6 in Baltimore meets the first Thursday of the month at the Warehouse.

Jose Norris has been doing a one man show at a downtown DC hotel (http://joshnorris.com/live/)

Bob Sheets hosts a monthly show in Gaithersburg just outside DC, but I think Oct's show is later in the month.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 28th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Denny's is about an hour's drive from DC.

The DC ring of the SAM meets at the National Press Club, while the IBM meets in Northern Virginia.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Syd

Postby Syd » October 9th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I realize this is WAY off topic - please don't castrate me Richard. I will be in DC late Friday (October 12) and am trying to find a cheap place to stay. I have a very early meeting Saturday morning and I am trying to save money. I know little about DC. It looks like the cheapest places are about 1.5 hours away. I will need parking as I am driving - again - to save money. Any recommendations?
Syd

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2012, 2:40 pm

There are only three people in the world I'd like to castrate, but you're not one of them.

I think you should look at B&Bs instead of hotels.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Syd

Postby Syd » October 9th, 2012, 2:44 pm

That's good to know - thank you.

BTW - Great job on the Bash. Regardless of the misses - there were a great many hits! One of which for me - was Uri.
Syd

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » October 12th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I wound up attending a meeting of Ring 50, which meets just outside of DC in Alexandria. It's a terrific, vibrant group with a large membership. Everyone went out of their way to make an out of towner feel welcome. Many thanks to all the members I met, as well as the President, Danny Selznick, who was a fine host. If you live in or around DC, or will be visiting, be sure to check their website.

Also, I hope I'm also not on Richard's short list of three. No reason to believe I am, but it's scary to know it exists and not know if you qualify . . .
Gary Brown

Return to “Buzz”