The October Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The October Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 14th, 2012, 11:15 am

What a great issue, with an enormous article on Malini by David Ben, revealing many new details of the mysterious performer's life.

This is our largest issue in some time, at 112 pages. Lots more content for you, and we introduce a new column by Chris Kenner and Homer Liwag, "Magic Man Examiner Vault."

Subscribers may view it on computers today, and while it will show up as being available on your iPad and iPhone, the videos probably won't be converted until later today or tomorrow. So, if you've downloaded it onto your iPad or iPhone and the app crashes each time you try to play a video or audio, that's why. You can read it today, but delete the issue and reload tomorrow for the extras.

Enjoy!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Alfred

Re: The October Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Postby Alfred » September 15th, 2012, 5:55 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:This is our largest issue in some time, at 112 pages.

The last Genii Magazine issue featuring 112 pages was the February 2009 one. From that date onwards, issues have been either 96 (most likely) or 104 pages long. It seems that the total number of pages is always a multiple of 8.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 15th, 2012, 12:30 pm

All printed books and magazines are published in signatures and have to have page counts in multiples of 8.

Donhdunn

Postby Donhdunn » September 15th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Thanks for the notice here. I usually don't know it's available online until the print issue arrives days later. Looks good although I find (re the Malini feature) that it's even harder to find a cigar to float these days than a cigarette. Looking for something similar. A banana? Too heavy. A pen? Too hard. Hmm?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 15th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Lots of cigars around--you just can't smoke them.

Mike I

Postby Mike I » September 21st, 2012, 11:34 pm

I have no doubt that Genii is currently the finest of all monthly magic publications and this month's is impressive thanks to David Ben's article and the good work of Mr. Kaufman and the usual contributors. I was happy to buy a copy. However, today I brought my October issue to work and felt embarrassed when I realized someone had seen the ad on the rear cover of the magazine. The shirtless dude with the chest resembling a shag carpet (and wearing a jacket over his undefined, bare torso) needs to wear a shirt or the advert needs to please be confined to the inside of the magazine. Gross. After my embarrassment (which was real, I'm not joking) I was careful to handle the magazine with the cover poster of Malini facing out. It gave a good reason to switch to the digital edition, which I'll consider.

Serves me right. I should only read magic magazines in private to protect any secrets inside. Hey... the rear ad was a security feature, wasn't it?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 22nd, 2012, 9:41 am

I feel your pain.

Should I send the guy an email asking him to wax his chest?

Mike I

Postby Mike I » September 22nd, 2012, 10:05 am

Please. :)

Honestly, if I were a friend of M*******m P****n, I'd tell him putting on a shirt is a good idea if he's going to market anything to people in the West. He's spending a lot of money to advertise only then to lose potential buyers due to his appearance. I don't know anyone thinks wearing a jacket without a shirt looks hip or cool. Maybe Ron Jeremy? To pull it off a man would have to be muscular with a very low bodyfat ratio. Even then it's a crap shoot.

Easy rules of cross-cultural marketing: make an effort to learn about the culture you're trying to reach and use a test audience first.

Now... back to talking about the wonderful things inside the issue.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 22nd, 2012, 7:04 pm

And the jacket is way too small. And dig the look on his assistant's mug.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 23rd, 2012, 8:43 pm

Mike I wrote:Easy rules of cross-cultural marketing: make an effort to learn about the culture you're trying to reach and use a test audience first.

He probably didn't expect there were this many Genii subscribers among the Amish. I hope your brethren isn't too rough on you - although I've heard about beard-cutting attacks for less. ;)

Mike I

Postby Mike I » September 25th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Tom... did I strike a nerve? I didn't figure you for a jacket-without-shirt kinda guy. :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 26th, 2012, 9:45 am

Mike I wrote:I have no doubt that Genii is currently the finest of all monthly magic publications and this month's is impressive thanks to David Ben's article and the good work of Mr. Kaufman and the usual contributors. I was happy to buy a copy. However, today I brought my October issue to work and felt embarrassed when I realized someone had seen the ad on the rear cover of the magazine. The shirtless dude with the chest resembling a shag carpet (and wearing a jacket over his undefined, bare torso) needs to wear a shirt or the advert needs to please be confined to the inside of the magazine. Gross. After my embarrassment (which was real, I'm not joking) I was careful to handle the magazine with the cover poster of Malini facing out. It gave a good reason to switch to the digital edition, which I'll consider.

Serves me right. I should only read magic magazines in private to protect any secrets inside. Hey... the rear ad was a security feature, wasn't it?

The point of advertising is to get attention. I can't remember an ad in the mag every being discussed here. So, he's got your attention at least.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 26th, 2012, 11:13 am

mrgoat wrote: The point of advertising is to get attention. I can't remember an ad in the mag every being discussed here. So, he's got your attention at least.

A back-cover ad that showed Denny Haney's butt-crack got some commentary.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 26th, 2012, 11:27 am

Well, the discussion made me get out my copy and look at the ad in question.

I'm not offended, but it just seems silly and gross (good way to ruin a nice suitcoat).

PS: this issue is great! Some of the best magic is found on the front cover itself, which is very well done.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 26th, 2012, 11:31 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
mrgoat wrote: The point of advertising is to get attention. I can't remember an ad in the mag every being discussed here. So, he's got your attention at least.

A back-cover ad that showed Denny Haney's butt-crack got some commentary.

Mmm, keep talking...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 26th, 2012, 11:36 am

Please don't.

Anyway, I'm not sure it was Denny's crack...

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » September 26th, 2012, 12:09 pm

My perspective is that he's doing us a favor. It's like a warning label for those who have good taste.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 26th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Mike I wrote:Tom... did I strike a nerve? I didn't figure you for a jacket-without-shirt kinda guy. :)

Just got amused. By the description it sounded like a "Tom of Finland" fantasy or like a "Blue Oyster Bar" scene from a Police Academy movie.
Then it turned out to just be a Bollywood-esque disco dude, and nothing worse than a slightly odd fashion sense.

Which made me wonder about your surroundings where people seem to be more prude and victorian than the victorians themselves.

Mike I

Postby Mike I » September 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm

My surroundings at work? I work for lawyers. Shirt and tie - strictly IBM fashion. It's hard to explain; a naked, muscular guy on the cover of a health magazine wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Why do so many magicians lack fashion sense? Unless they're intentionally trying to look funny, I'm also embarrassed for magicians in sequin jackets, spandex jumpsuits, rainbow shirts, etc. There's something cheap and goofy about those sights. All those make me feel a little ashamed in the same way, especially if I see them in a public performance I've invited friends to enjoy. I'm surprised when I see those things in 2012.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 29th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Mike I wrote:...Why do so many magicians lack fashion sense? ...

Not sure sticking a Prada label on your Hippity Hop Rabbits is going to help but best of luck.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » September 30th, 2012, 12:15 pm

I used to admire the Europeans, for while American "fashion" had devolved into ugly casual clothes, they still dressed nicely in public. No more. There is nothing quite like seeing a portly man in baggy shorts, flip-flop sandals and carrying a purse to give one pause. At least for me.

I went to work the other day (retail sales) in slacks and a nice shirt. I was asked why I was dressed up. I believe there is no longer hope for mankind to evolve.

Magicians have fallen into the same fashion abyss as everyone else, I guess. Still, that photo is surprising. I don't like it.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » September 30th, 2012, 3:13 pm

billmarq wrote:Magicians have fallen into the same fashion abyss as everyone else, I guess. Still, that photo is surprising. I don't like it.

While I can't comment on the picture on the back of Genii, I would like to point out that even in the USA you seem to have magicians who are far ahead than the rest of us on the fashion scene:

[video:youtube]d00pTfhD4Vw[/video]
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 30th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Pleeeeease: Let's banish purple suits and two-tone shoes.

Return to “Buzz”