Eric DeCamps Pure Magic Comes to Chicago

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Potterauctions

Eric DeCamps Pure Magic Comes to Chicago

Postby Potterauctions » August 22nd, 2012, 10:33 am

I'm pleased to announce that this October, Potter & Potter is bringing Eric DeCamps' one-man show, Pure Magic, to Chicago for the first time.

[img:center]http://potterauctions.dreamhosters.com/photos/2012_PURE_MAGIC_Banner_Small.jpg[/img]

Pure Magic premiered in Manhattan to rave reviews. Potter & Potter is thrilled to bring these The performances will take place in our gallery, over the weekend of October 19 - 21.

Eric's shows take place one week prior to our October 27th auction of the collection of Charles Reynolds, and all of the material in the sale - vintage posters, illusions, books, and artifacts - will be on display in the gallery.

This is a not-to-be-repeated event. Don't miss out!

For more information, click here: http://www.potterauctions.com/events

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!

MarkWeidhaas

Re: Eric DeCamps Pure Magic Comes to Chicago

Postby MarkWeidhaas » August 28th, 2012, 9:17 pm

I've seen Eric's show several times, and he never disappoints. If you are anywhere near Chicago, you need to take your friends and see this show.
Mark Weidhaas
S.A.M. National President 2010-2011 and Conference Executive
"You Have a Friend in the S.A.M."

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » August 29th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Eric's show is great, because Eric is great. It's classic magic done in classic style, pristine and amazing, and he definitely shouldn't be missed.

Congratulations, Eric and all, on this next step of the journey!

Vinny Grosso

Postby Vinny Grosso » August 30th, 2012, 9:33 am

Definitely go see it! It is a very well thought out and routined show. I've been able to see it a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » September 7th, 2012, 11:38 am

I have seen Eric's show and other performances on numerous occassions. His work is incredible and he is definitely one of my favorite performers. Classical magic, beautifully interpretted.

Bill Malone

Postby Bill Malone » September 7th, 2012, 3:06 pm

I'm going to try my best to fly in for this. He must have been waiting for me to leave Chicago. Anyone who loves close-up magic performed extremely well will not be disapointed!
Bill Malone
Email: Bill@billmalonemagic.com
Caution: May cause uncontrollable laughter!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 7th, 2012, 4:37 pm

I'll be there with a few others!

David Corsaro

Postby David Corsaro » September 8th, 2012, 1:22 am

If you are in Chicago, DO NOT MISS this show.

I went to see Eric perform "Pure Magic" in NYC several times ande after each one, I felt like I got a lesson in how to properly perform magic. Not only was the magic incredible, but Eric has an amazing ability to hold an audience in the palm of his hand and make them hold onto his every word.

If you are anywhere in the Chicago area, make sure you go see Eric's show

David Corsaro
My new DVD ("Magic of David Corsaro") is available from your favorite dealer www.davidcorsaro.com

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » September 9th, 2012, 9:02 am

I can not thank everyone enough for your kind words of support about my show and its new run in the great city of Chicago. I do not have the words to properly express how thrilled I am with this opportunity! It's going to be a lot of fun!

I just saw this on Jeff McBride's FB page and I thought I would share it with you all here. Here is what Jeff wrote about the show:

If you want to see very fine contemporary magic..Eric DeCamps, brings his show, Pure Magic - A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring , to Chicago for the first time.

I've seen the show and it is great.. Eric's "Egg bag finale "is worth going for that single moment of mindbendingmystery!

Jeff, thank you so much for your wonderful endorsement about the show!

If you are in the Chicago area, I hope you can join me at one of my performances.

For dates, times, more info about the show and tickets, please go to: Potter & Potter Gallery

Eric DeCamps

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 9th, 2012, 9:01 pm

I had the honor of hosting Eric's show in New York one of the evenings. Gotta' tell you, he fooled me and the audience badly. But more important, he ENTERTAINED us all goodly(!?). Seriously, his has to be one of the best magic shows I've ever seen, and I've seen MANY. Wherever you are, whatever it takes, SEE IT - you'll be so glad you did. Harry Lorayne.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » September 10th, 2012, 12:09 am

Having seen Eric's show, I can say that it's a worthwhile experience.

Eric approaches magic with respect, and it shows in the results:
You'll have fun, you'll be fooled and surprised. Support the good stuff!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 10th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Just ordered my October 20 matinee tickets. Looking forward to this!

Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » September 17th, 2012, 10:14 am

This is an absolutely wonderful show and no one close to Chicago should miss it!

The material is wonderful but makes it special is that you feel that you are watching not only a master of the craft but a true artist as well.

After seeing Pure Magic, my extremely jaded wife simple said - "Eric is my favorite magician - that was just great!"

If you know my wife - you'll know those words mean a lot!!!

Scott Wells

Postby Scott Wells » September 22nd, 2012, 12:15 pm

I was fortunate to have seen Eric's show at the 2010 T.A.O.M. convention in Austin, TX. I say fortunate for several reasons.

First, the hotel banquet room was completely redesigned with a beautiful stage, raised seating, intelligent lighting, great sound and very intimate. They created an "Eric DeCamps Theatre" just for him. It was a perfect venue for showcasing a truly classic, and purely magical show.

Secondly, the show was outstanding. The production quality, Eric's gestures, pauses, scripting, blocking, verbal skills and dexterity added to the event that transcended ordinary chicanery and raised us to a plateau of what magic can be.

Third, I mentioned how I enjoyed the scripting. I was touched by his description of Rene Levand, his relationship with the man and how he slowly transformed into the character. Brilliant.

And fourth, Eric's sleight-of-hand skills are unparalleled. His style is light and understated so his mad skills are never on display. Certainly not an "in your face" type attitude. If there is any attitude at all, it is self effacing.

I have seen him perform bits and pieces of this show over many years so I know the time, thought and creative effort that has gone into developing this show one routine at a time. But the way the show flows is a thing of beauty that makes the journey so fulfilling and the end a pleasant memory.

Is this beginning to sound a little like "man love"? Well, it's true. I'm crazy about Eric and love to watch him perform anywhere and any time I can get the chance. If you are anywhere near Chicago in October, make it a point to see this show. I think you too will join the DeCamps camp and want to spread the love.
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Potterauctions

Postby Potterauctions » September 24th, 2012, 3:30 pm

A big thank-you goes out to Scott Wells, who just today, sprung a Pure Magic App on us. Anyone interested in the show can get details and find out how to purchase tickets on his iPhone or iPad. Check it out by following this link:

http://app.cat/puremagic

Thanks, Scott!

And many thanks to those who have bought tickets. To those of you who are planning on doing so, act now! Jeff McBride recently commented, "Eric DeCamps is one of the finest exponets of ledgerdemain extant!"

Book your tickets here: www.potterauctions.com/events

Scott Wells

Postby Scott Wells » September 26th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Eric DeCamps chatted with me yesterday via Skype about his upcoming performance at Potter Auction Gallery. If you are interested in the evolution of his show or if you are thinking about putting together your own one man show, then you owe it to yourself to listen to this podcast on The Magic Word.

I apologize for the rather poor sound quality of this podcast, but we had a poor Skype connection. The half hour you hear was extracted from nearly two hours of the two of us on Skype and my additional five hours of editing the podcast to give it the best quality without sacrificing the content.

Visit http://scottwellsmagic.posterous.com/ to listen online and view pictures and more. Or you can download it through iTunes with a little search in the Podcast store for "The Magic Word"
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Pepka

Postby Pepka » October 2nd, 2012, 1:27 pm

I loved this show when I saw Eric in NY. I have family in Chicago and was hoping to use this as an excuse to visit. Alas, it's not to be. But, my sister has been very good this year and I think I'll send her and her husband. REALLY great close up in a formal situation is hard to find. If you are anywhere near Chicago, or want to fly in and stay with my sister, I'd highly recommend it. She makes great ribs.

John Born

Postby John Born » October 2nd, 2012, 10:04 pm

I saw this thread and had to join in - If you have a chance to see Eric, don't miss it! A fabulous evening of magic from a real pro and all-around great guy.
www.JohnBorn.com
www.CheatingAtTexasHoldem.com

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » October 8th, 2012, 2:21 am

A class act himself, Eric DeCamps is a sophisticated entertainer who brings an elegant touch and honest approach to his performances. I've enjoyed seeing Eric's work mature over the past twenty-five or so years, and have the honor of calling him my friend. That being said, nothing could prepare me for the artistic and magical growth I have seen in him, while creating and developing this show over the past few years. His attention to detail, his dedication to his skills and his ability to connect with his audience on such a personal level, is admirable. True close-up magic, designed to be performed in a parlor or small theater setting is difficult to find. Eric has worked with the best in the business to bring his material and his vision together to accomplish this goal. It is important to note, though, his show is not just a collection of years of old routines and bits. Rather, it is a look into the man, through his true passion and love of the art of magic.

If you are in Chicago during this run, go and see my dear friend Eric, in "Pure Magic."

(He also happens to be an all-around nice guy, too.)
- DO

Doug McKenzie

Postby Doug McKenzie » October 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I don't post very often, but when I do it's for good reason.

I last saw Eric's show during it's run in New York. His choice of material, execution, and performance were all fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and wish it was happening in NY again instead of Chicago. There is one effect in the show which would be hard to do justice given it's provenance, but Eric absolutely does and slays the audience at the same time. Better to witness it for yourself than hear me blab about it.

Doug McKenzie

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 13th, 2012, 7:46 am

Hi Everyone!

First I would like to thank everyone for the kind words they posted above about my show PURE MAGIC. I am truly humbled by all of the astonishing words of support and I cant thank you all enough.

Second I just wanted you all to know that I am the featured guest on this week's edition of iTricks Podcast Magic Week in Review (October 13, 2012). Along with Meir Yedid's MagicTimes, iTricks/MWiR is a great way to get up to the minute news on the Magic Industry.

The highlights of topics discussed are:

The premier Chicago run of, PURE MAGIC A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring

A discussion of Chicagos rich magic history

Magical influences

A healthy discussion of 2012 Summers blockbuster movies

You can either listen to the stream version or subscribe (its free) via iTunes. The latest edition of MWiR will be ready for download or listening on Saturday October 13, 2012 at iTricks - DeCamps MWiR or from the iTunes store.

Best,

Eric DeCamps

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » October 13th, 2012, 11:47 am

Eric,

The pressure is in. I convinced my wife to come see you for our 40th anniversary. If she doesn't like the show, it will be a LONG dinner afterwards!

Steve

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 14th, 2012, 10:33 pm

@ Steve Mills,

I can handle the pressure. That said, please make sure to say hello before the show.
I want to meet this exquisitely thoughtful wife of yours. :)

See you soon.

Eric DeCamps

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 15th, 2012, 11:59 am

The above exchange renminded me that this show is great for all your non-magician friends in the area as well! I've invited a few
to attend as it is an opportunity for them to see a true master of the art. You could even treat them as it makes a great gift.:) Help promote magic in an extremely positive way showing what levels it can attain. The success of this show could bring a return engagement or more magic entertainment of this caliber to our city. Spread the word to magicians and non-magicians alike and come on out!I'll be there with a few folks for the Saturday matinee.

BTW Congrats on the anniversary Steve!!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 18th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Eric has arrrived safely in the Windy City and his shows start tomorrow! Make sure to order your tickets today! You do not want to miss this show.

I'll be there Saturday afternoon with several friends and am really looking forward to it.

Potterauctions

Postby Potterauctions » October 18th, 2012, 5:43 pm

The stage is set and we are looking forward to three great performances. If you are in Chicago, please stop by and check out one of the shows!

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 20th, 2012, 9:21 am

Opening night for "PURE MAGIC" in Chicago went wonderfully. It was well attended by many from the Chicago magic community. I am so happy that Simon Aronson and his wife Ginny made it to the show. Have not seen them in quite awhile so it was real pleasure to catch up with them. The audience could not have been more receptive either. Fun times with a truly appreciative audience. At the end they were very generous and awarded me with a standing ovation.

Afterwards went to a tapas place for great food with Gabe and Jen Fajuri. A fantastic way to end a spectacular evening.

I believe there are a few available seats for today's public 4:00pm matinee performance. If you are any near the area come on by and join the fun.

Thank you everyone!

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » October 20th, 2012, 11:00 am

This show absolutely lived up to the superlatives, and in fact, in some ways exceeded them. If you're in the Chicago area, go! (And Gabe's venue and hosting of this was great, I hope it's the start of a trend.)

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 20th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Gordon - thank you for coming out and supporting the show. I'm very happy you enjoyed the show and thank you for your kind words.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 20th, 2012, 11:08 pm

I saw the show this afternoon and it was just great. The audience (and I) ate it up. Terrific ,entertaining, magical and a lot of fun. You have one more chance to see it in Chicago tomorrow at 4:00. Go see it and bring some friends. You'll be really glad you did. Thanks for a great show Eric!

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 21st, 2012, 11:55 am

Tom - it was wonderful to see you yesterday. Thanks for coming out to see the show. This audience was just as receptive as Friday nights's audience. Well lets be honest, with people like yourself and like Oscar Corpuz, Mike LePidus, John Railing and David Linsell (just to name a few) how could we not have anything but a good time!

It's been a wonderful experience so far and the highlight to me has been the many new friends I've made here in Chicago. The closing show is this afternoon at 4:00pm and there are a few seats available. If you are in the area come on by and I hope that you join us in the fun. :)

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » October 21st, 2012, 5:40 pm

It was nice to be fooled. There were a couple of routines that left me totally clueless - I loved that. Even when you know the method, it's great to watch a routine performed with no evidence of it. Only one minor flash in 75 minutes - quite an accomplishment.

Another thing - he had no stale lines. (When he asked for his pen back, "that's how I got it" rang in my head, but he didn't say it! Just a simple "thank you" and put the pen in his pocket. Bless you Eric! A real adult show.

A great time and a great show and Gabe was a delightful host. I envy Tom going again.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 21st, 2012, 8:57 pm

It was just as good if not better seeing it a second time today. It truly is one of the best magic shows I've seen. Thanks Eric (and Gabe) for bringing it to Chicago!

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 22nd, 2012, 1:18 pm

@ Steve,

Thanks for coming out and extra special thank you to Carol for agreeing to celebrate your 40th Wedding Anniversary at my show. She's awesome and you are lucky man!

I'm very glad you enjoyed the show, it was a pleasure to meet you both and I hope our paths cross again soon.

Eric DeCamps

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 22nd, 2012, 1:19 pm

@ Tom D,

Hey buddy... YOU got a second "show deck" so you did pretty good!
Enjoy the cards and I hope to make the "BASH"!

Eric DeCamps

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 22nd, 2012, 7:06 pm

Yes I did one for me and one for eBay Just kidding of course. It was a terrific show I saw it twice! Looking forward to having you back for the Bash my friend. And hopefully our paths will cross sooner. Safe travels home.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 24th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I would like to thank those from the Chicago magic community who came out and supported the recent run of my show, PURE MAGIC, at the Potter and Potter Gallery this past weekend. Without your support shows of this nature would not be possible. So thank you very much and I hope that with your continued support that Potter and Potter will continue to bring events like this to your area. Who knows, maybe they will even invite me back. :)

With much appreciation,

Eric DeCamps

Return to “Buzz”