Tamariz Workshop Seats Once Again Available at the Genii Convention

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Tamariz Workshop Seats Once Again Available at the Genii Convention

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 6th, 2012, 4:15 pm

We have moved the Juan Tamariz Workshop on Sunday Oct.7 to a larger room to accomodate the many requests.

So, registration for this event, which starts at 1 pm on Sunday Oct.7 and lasts until 5:30 pm, is once again available to those attending the Genii convention (www.geniiconvention.com).

The only way to register for the Tamariz workshop is by calling the Genii office at 301-652-5800 during east coast business hours. The cost is $100.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Re: Tamariz Workshop Seats Once Again Available at the Genii Convention

Postby AJM » September 6th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Ooooh, you're a very naughty man.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 6th, 2012, 4:34 pm

My wife told me the same thing.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 6th, 2012, 4:42 pm

I'm already playing on Mrs AJM's good nature by breaking into our annual vacation to attend the Bash on the Thurs, Fri & Sat.

With early bird registration and dealers open before the event and the Tamariz event now open for booking afterwards I see trouble brewing.......

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 6th, 2012, 4:44 pm

My wife said the same thing.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 6th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Woop! That's great news and yet ANOTHER reason to attend. This is going to be an awesome convention.

I just looked and flights from LA to Orlando on Virgin America are only 140 bucks. So all you west coasters have no excuse...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 7th, 2012, 3:05 am

It's also worth noting that Expedia have a sale for flights to Orlando from the UK at the moment.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » September 7th, 2012, 11:13 am

Oh, cry us a river.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 7th, 2012, 11:59 am

Initially the only room we had available was for 50 people.

Requests exceeded demand, so I asked Juan if he wanted to do a second workshop. He didn't, nor did we really have a time to do it, so he just said to try and find a larger room.

So we were able to find a larger room at the hotel.

There are not going to be hundreds of people.

We will have two 50 inch plasma screens with video during the workshop.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 7th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I specifically registered way back in April because I wanted to be sure that I secured one of those fifty seats at this extremely limited workshop. Particularly with a fifty to Juan ratio, I figured it was well worth parting with/investing the $350 + $100 that far in advance.

I certainly don't believe that there was any delusion on anyone's part that this workshop was going to fill up fast and that the requests would rapidly far exceed the demand. But I can't help but share Gary's disappointment over what at one time seemed like a conscious effort to make this an intimate learning experience with the master ultimately turn out to be so purely due to the size of the room that was available. I also can't help but share his concern that the intimacy of the experience as originally promised/implied could possibly be diluted another two or three or more times.

That said, I also know how I would feel if I was one of those on the outside looking in - since that's where I've usually found myself when it comes to competing for limited seats at all kinds of special events.

I do hope that Mr. Kaufman will at least do a little something extra for the original fifty of us. Perhaps we can secure priority seating or maybe even get to select our seats in order of registration or some such. Of course, Mr. Kaufman may come up with something even better or may already have something better in mind.

I just personally hope that my April registration doesn't land me somewhere way in the back watching a plasma screen over the heads of a whole bunch of folks who were suddenly allowed to register today or over the next few weeks.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm

It is open seating and I really don't think the addition of a few dozen more people will affect anyone's experience in the slightest.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 7th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Surely the fairest thing would be to allow the FIFTY initial access to the room to sit where they want before admitting the rest.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 7th, 2012, 4:58 pm

If you advertise something as limited - implying we should act because of limitation, or that the quality of the experience is enhanced by the limitation - then it borders on false advertising to change those expectations. I have attended workshops with many magicians and with Juan specifically. I can attest that the quality of experience in a small group is much greater than a large one. While I hope Juan is as financially successful as possible, the event should not have been advertised as limited when it is not. I agree with many others. Those who reserved early should be guaranteed the better seats. It costs the producers nothing and ensures those who paid for an intimate Learning environment receive as close to that which was advertised as possible.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 7th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Brad wrote"... the event should not have been advertised as limited when it is not."

It IS still limited, but to more people.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 7th, 2012, 5:06 pm

It should not have been advertised as limited to 50 people when the truth is that it is limited to as many people who will pay.

Better?

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » September 7th, 2012, 5:18 pm

I love magic, but some days it's pretty hard to love magicians.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 7th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Ted, do you not think a learning experience in a small group to be different and better than one in a large group? Do you not think it reasonable for those who paid for one to be concerned they will receive the other? And would believing differently from you really make us unlovable?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 7th, 2012, 7:22 pm

The limit will now be 75 people.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 8th, 2012, 3:29 am

You know what will happen now, the 75th person to book will be the one that manages to get the best seat in the house and will now p*ss off two groups of disgruntled magicians - the original 50 (who will be most p*ssed and the other 24, who will be slightly less p*issed but p*ssed all the same).

Richard, you might have to introduce detention or a naughty corner should there be any further misbehaviour.

(RK was spotted at Genii Towers yesterday dealing with his frustration in a manner not unlike that of the animated stick man on the left).

Randolph G

Postby Randolph G » September 8th, 2012, 7:17 am

brianarudolph wrote:I specifically registered way back in April because I wanted to be sure that I secured one of those fifty seats at this extremely limited workshop. Particularly with a fifty to Juan ratio, I figured it was well worth parting with/investing the $350 + $100 that far in advance.

I certainly don't believe that there was any delusion on anyone's part that this workshop was going to fill up fast and that the requests would rapidly far exceed the demand. But I can't help but share Gary's disappointment over what at one time seemed like a conscious effort to make this an intimate learning experience with the master ultimately turn out to be so purely due to the size of the room that was available. I also can't help but share his concern that the intimacy of the experience as originally promised/implied could possibly be diluted another two or three or more times.

That said, I also know how I would feel if I was one of those on the outside looking in - since that's where I've usually found myself when it comes to competing for limited seats at all kinds of special events.

I do hope that Mr. Kaufman will at least do a little something extra for the original fifty of us. Perhaps we can secure priority seating or maybe even get to select our seats in order of registration or some such. Of course, Mr. Kaufman may come up with something even better or may already have something better in mind.

I just personally hope that my April registration doesn't land me somewhere way in the back watching a plasma screen over the heads of a whole bunch of folks who were suddenly allowed to register today or over the next few weeks.

Can't help but feel the exact same way.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 8th, 2012, 1:38 pm

We will number the seats and assign in order of registration.

Gene B

Postby Gene B » September 8th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Richard,

I also appreciate your effort--since I hurried to sign up as soon as you announced this.

Gene

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 8th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Very much appreciated, Richard. Thanks. Being fair to everyone concerned is always tough especially when things change.

But dare I suggest that it might be even easier to simply admit us (in a measured calm and orderly fashion) to the room in the order of registration rather than actually assigning each person a specific seat? I suggest this since (for example) registrant #1 might not be as happy if seat #1 turns out to be located at the left end of the first row rather than in the middle. If all registrants received a ticket in their package with the appropriate numbered designation, it'd be extremely easy for us to line up shortly before the workshop in order of registration. Then say, 15 minutes prior to the start, the staff member marshaling the door admits each of us one at a time in turn after verifying our ticket and numbered place. That would put at least a few seconds between each admission and avoid a stampede while at the same time allowing folks to choose and take their seats fairly quickly. Even if you forcibly inserted a 10-second pause between each admission, everyone would still be inside in a little over 12 minutes (and a 10-second pause is way more than what it would really take.)

My apologies for continuing this beyond the seat numbering solution, but it touches on an aspect from the logistics of event planning, something I used to do as part of my living a long time ago ... and I can't help myself after been there, done that.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 8th, 2012, 4:27 pm

I suggest letting people in to the room in order of height, tallest first. That has to be fair, right. I'm sure Weber's with me on that one.

What do you mean, I don't even have a ticket? How is that relevant?

sincityjesse

Postby sincityjesse » September 8th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Thank you Richard. This seems a fair & viable solution to the situation. I'm curious who the first registrant was. I'll bet money it was Gary Plants. (Sorry, but I AM from Vegas)

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 8th, 2012, 5:29 pm

No one's stopping you from buying a ticket and finally becoming relevant, Ian. Of course, I'm sure we'll all be interested to see what you suggest when Mr. Weber's workshop suffers the same positive problems. :-) :-) :-)

ps: For those of you who were still closed out of the Tamariz workshop, you could do far Far FAR worse than to sign up for Mr. Weber's workshop that morning. I've taken it. It's outstanding.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 8th, 2012, 5:42 pm

I may be wrong but I think Juan Tamariz might have been the first to sign up - I hope he doesn't end up on the end of a row, that would just p*ss everyone off.

And they say it is the British who are obsessed with queuing - looks like I'm going to have to sharpen my elbows...

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 8th, 2012, 6:12 pm

If Juan had to sign up for a seat in his own workshop then something's really off kilter. But more than likely we're really just talking about an off kilt.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 8th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Hmmm - not sure what you mean there Brian, would you care to elaborate??

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 8th, 2012, 6:39 pm

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 8th, 2012, 6:43 pm

No I really would like to understand what you meant, Brian - I do hope it's not what I think it meant.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 8th, 2012, 8:54 pm

So....... how 'bout those Red Sox?!

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 8th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Q. E. D.

:-) :-) :-)

AJM

Postby AJM » September 9th, 2012, 2:58 am