Topper-esque Move from Lowey Palm

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Topper-esque Move from Lowey Palm

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 26th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Aside from the fact that it's an odd way to display a "stopped-at" card, the sleight looks very good.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 28th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Sworn Lip(s) wrote:I don't believe its an odd way at all.

You're wrong.

It looks VERY odd and unnatural.

Try this. Take a deck, give it to 10 laypeople. Ask them to riffle down the cards and break them off when you call stop. See how many weird grip the deck like a vice and then do that angle pivot thing...

And/or read magic books and find any displays of a stopped at card that use that weird pivoty thing.

It's awesome you came up with something. It's brave to post it here. But, it most definitely is a bit odd!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 28th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Sworn Lip(s) wrote:.....or.......just take those exact same 10 laypeople and perform this move for them with any trick you know that requires 'card to top'. I guess afterwards, you could ask them what was odd about the trick.....but why stop there....you now have an audience of 10 :)

Yes, I tell you what. I'll perform a pass, side steal or even a injog shuffle control from chapter 1 of royal road.

And you perform your odd little thing.

See what people think looks more natural. 10, 100, or a thousand people, makes no odds. I bet you 500 bucks I'd win.

Sorry we think it's odd looking. It must be horrible to make a baby and have people say it looks weird. I can totally understand why you are being defensive.

Just seems you're solving a problem that has already been solved, many times, and in many better ways.

Well done for trying to think creatively though. That's always to be admired.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 2nd, 2012, 11:17 am

Do you not find it weird talking to yourself like this?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 2nd, 2012, 11:33 am

You could set up a blog 'weirdpointlesscardmoves.com' is free, I'll install wordpress on it for you for free, then you can post to your little heart's content about your funny little move that no one here seems to care about.

Or I can email Steve Brooks, maybe he can add another sub forum to the 209203902 he has now called 'weird card moves'.

LMK.

Damian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 2nd, 2012, 3:47 pm

Sworn Lip(s) wrote:What about this idea: http://youtu.be/WJTU7kPIyfk

Basically, you take an riffled-stopped stock and angle the portion from Loweys pivot point. Upon raising the deck for the peak....stock slides back to align with deck while thumb slides top card to angled position. The card is noted. When the deck comes back down...top portion is pulled back to angle-jog to complete the illusion. Is this one out there Joe? Still in alpha....but it works. Always Now, Robert

Yes, an inverse or face out bluff pass. Glad to see you are thinking about methods. Not the most robust of approaches though.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 3rd, 2012, 4:11 pm

I like the idea of a more "parlor" type approach. That kind of handling is similar in appearance to Nate Leipzig's work - the peek rather than remove/replace. At a guess your approach would serve as a feint where those who expect a pass are left to watch nothing and then you have that off-beat to do a steal.

Probably handy where you want to force the top card like the two card transposition or red hot mama.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”