Magic with neckties

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Mike Remington

Magic with neckties

Postby Mike Remington » August 15th, 2012, 5:42 am

For a stage performance at the end of September, I plan to use Eric Mead's Tie One On routine. As that leaves you with multiple ties, does anyone have any suggestion of where I could find other routines that could be done with ties? I am experimenting with adapting a rope routine.

Also, I have spent a good part of this year with limited mobility due to an accident. While that has improved in recent weeks and I am very optimistic that I will be fine by then, as a contingency, are there any ideas of lines that can be done about crutches.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Magic with neckties

Postby Q. Kumber » August 15th, 2012, 10:53 am

While it is not easy to find, David Berglas published a softcover book, The Berglas File Vol 1, in 1976. It included at least one necktie effect. You borrow a tie and a watch, stand on a chair and drop the watch down through the tie, giving the tie a flick and catching the watch in a knot in the tie.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 15th, 2012, 11:26 am

Check out "Korem's Card on Tie" published by Paul Harris in Las Vegas Close Up (1978) and Art of Astonishment (1996)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 15th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Tie Tack from Encore III (Ammar)

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » August 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Eleazar's "Necktie Tear & Necktie Tricks" from his book "Tear-able Magic."
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » August 17th, 2012, 5:26 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Korem's Card on Tie looks like something that would fit in with the rest of what I am doing.

The Berglas routine sounds interesting. However, in searching for it I am only able to find listings of copies - Torrents or xeroxes. Also, as I am recovering from multiple fractures, I probably should avoid any routine that involves standing on a chair for the time being.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 17th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Milt Larsen sells a comedy growing necktie.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 21st, 2012, 1:02 am

I remember seeing an effect in the white or blue N.Y. Symposium book where a necktie penetrates through the handle of a coffee mug. Neither object is gimmicked.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 21st, 2012, 4:16 am

Fred Robinson's Coin/Tie trick. It's in the book.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 22nd, 2012, 1:49 pm

Years ago in I think Genii--Larry Acuri advertised--again I think a colour changing necktie. The Cut & Restored Necktie has been routined by so many magicians--including the great Bill Neff. There is a book on this effect--'Necktie Magic' by Frank Herman--published I think by Magic Inc. My copy has just gone to my son in Portugal. Our own Tom Owen has a very funny version--short details in his lecture notes. Then there is the old Rising Necktie. And what about a version OF YOUR OWN using IT of Finn Jon's rising necktie--like a snake rearing? And the Dancing Handkerchief but done with a necktie. Also look in the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic Volume 2, Chapters 15 & 16, and adapt the Serpent Silk to a necktie. Also the C & R Necktie in the flat tube of paper, as done normally with a silk. Then you could do the Classic Lesson in Magic with a necktie that grows, shrinks, is in pieces, changes colour or loses colour & finally is restored. And finally finally the Growing Necktie--check the dealers. Allen Tipton UK

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 22nd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Then of course you could do Magic Washing (Cords of Phantasia, Lazy Magician) with neckties. And the Comedy Wrist Tie with a necktie. And what about working out Linking Neckties. Either with the gimmick or the non gimmick version published some years ago. Have to look up the name & inventor. There is one of my favourites in Tarbell 5 page 336 onwards-'Judge Lynch's Necktie Party. Doc also has the C & R Necktie in Vol. 4 page 69 and his version of Card on The Necktie Vol. 4 page 119 These should give you plenty to think about. Allen Tipton UK

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » September 10th, 2012, 3:00 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:I remember seeing an effect in the white or blue N.Y. Symposium book where a necktie penetrates through the handle of a coffee mug. Neither object is gimmicked.

It is in the White Symposium book (Collection 3). Although the pictures are all of a tie and a mug, the title is Handkerchief Through Glass by Bob Read.

Again, thanks for the ideas.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2012, 11:36 am

Yes, it's Bob Read's idea and originally appears in his book Thanks To Pepys.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ristiharju

Postby Ristiharju » September 30th, 2012, 1:00 am

Then there is cut and restored necktie by Eric Leblon "taille tie" on DVD that uses the common finish used in most cut and restored ties but it adds 2 basic cut and restored rope routine phases to before the ending.

I have developed self contained gaffed tie that allows one to do pretty much any of the common rope routines that are used by magicians (Daryls, Sands, Sanders) with a tie that you can wear in your neck all day. I have recently showed it to Richard Sanders, Eric Mead, Tim Trono and few other guys and none have seen anything similar before. However I am still trying to do my background checks cos it seems so obvious idea to gaff a tie to be able to do a rope routine with a tie. Its been in my act for around 5 years and it is coming out sometime in the near future in some form or another because it has been stolen by few magicians already :(

However I am working pro so it is hard to find enough time to do a project like this.

Ristiharju

Postby Ristiharju » October 19th, 2012, 12:04 am

Seems I was too slow :/ My gaffing is little different to make it totally self contained but basic idea seems to be now out.

Tie Knot - Lee Ang-Hsuan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlxtr2lp ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”