Your experience with "The Perfect Holdout"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Your experience with "The Perfect Holdout"

Postby erdnasephile » August 6th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Does anyone actually use this particular holdout in performances for real people?

I would very much appreciate your opinion as it compares to using simpler rigs (i.e. the Invisible Hand/Original Miller Holdout) in actual use.

Thanks in advice for your insights.

Ian Kendall

Re: Your experience with "The Perfect Holdout"

Postby Ian Kendall » August 6th, 2012, 6:50 pm

I prefer it to a 'normal' hold out, mainly because if the anchor point on the left arm fails for any reason, nothing will shoot out of your sleeve. Also, the gearing means that you need a much smaller action to action the thief.

Concerning that, I did have some issues with snagging due to its size, but I solved that by installing a SuperM business end instead, so now I get the best of both worlds.

I did design and install a lock for it, but it is still in R&D at the moment.

Hope that helps.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 6th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Ian: Yes, this is exactly the type of information I am looking for. Many thanks!

May I please ask: is the perfect holdout noisy? (Anecdotally, I saw Bob Fitch from the front row at a convention a few years ago, and for some reason, I could swear I could hear the holdout actuating--maybe it was the humidity or something.)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 6th, 2012, 8:49 pm

One more thing please: is there a big difference with the first version of this holdout vs. the new version advertised on Antonio's site? (able to be used horizontally).

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 7th, 2012, 3:56 am

I cannot hear anything, and it's just under my armpit - in a working environment with ambient noise there's no chance.

The 'new' version is not completely new - it's the same device, but used with something that allows you to do some fantastic things. I've not used that aspect myself, but I've played with the concept and discussed it with Antonio a few times.

I would also strongly suggest you get hold of the Invisible Hand video set - everything Michel does in that can be adapted to the Perfect Holdout with a little thought.
Last edited by Ian Kendall on August 7th, 2012, 3:58 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: It's an Invisible Hand, dammit.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 7th, 2012, 5:31 am

Michel did lots with The Invisible Hand at EMC. I'd never considered a hold out before, but seeing him do what looked like real magic with one has convinced me to give it a go...

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » August 7th, 2012, 11:11 am

I totally agree with Mr Goat, on the above and am looking in that direction as well.
Peace Joe

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 7th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Thank you very kindly gentlemen! Appreciate the information very much.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”