Card magic in Canada

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Pepelirrojo

Card magic in Canada

Postby Pepelirrojo » July 18th, 2012, 10:40 am

Hi everybody,

Does anybody of you know any book about the history of card magic in canada? I'm very interested in this topic.

Thanks in advance

Pepe
http://magicsocial.org/index.php/en/

Bob Farmer

Re: Card magic in Canada

Postby Bob Farmer » July 18th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Unfortunately, because of the weather, the polar bears and the forests, there is no and never has been any card magic in Canada. Canadians, for some reason, are simply unable to perform card magic. Being next door to the U.S. is simply too intimidating, so card magic in Canada, rather than fight, has decided to retreat and retire. Try Norway.

Alan M

Postby Alan M » July 18th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Bob has given you a red herring, Pepe. I think he may be reluctant to admit that there is no card magic in Canada because the Canadian card masters change their name and move to the U.S.

Like David Verner, for example. :)

-Alan

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 27th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Pepe: I received your message but the Genii message function does not seem to allow for replies. Send me a note to trickmail@cogeco.ca and I'll provide you with whatever you need. Your question about Martin Nash probably relates to his work with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in British Columbia when they were tracking some card cheats. He tipped them to the juice deck. I talked to the Mountie involved and I have a copy of the newspaper article somewhere. According to the article, they were using Lady Clairol for the "juice."

There are several very good Canadian card magicians but you may never have heard of them. I'm thinking of Roy Cottee, Charlie Roe (deceased), Ron Scharf (deceased) and some others. And don't forget Joe Stuthard and Cliff Green. One of my mentors, Bill Jennings (an ex-Mountie), was a friend of Cliff Green and he gave me a copy of Cliff's book which I think he said he had gotten directly from Cliff (but if the book was published after Green's death, that was probably incorrect).

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 27th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Pepe:

There is also this listing:

http://canadianmagiciansarchive.homeste ... alpha.html

It's not very complete, they seemed to have missed some of the more important entries under "F."

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » July 27th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Bob,

What do you mean, Shaun Farquahar's there, I checked! I will admit his ever so important FISM win of 2009 is NOT listed. Now there's an oversight.

KG

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 28th, 2012, 9:17 am

Kent, yes, it was that shocking omission I was thinking of.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”