Games and crooked gambling

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Stefan Nilsson

Games and crooked gambling

Postby Stefan Nilsson » June 30th, 2012, 11:44 am

I've just translated the articles on my Swedish web site about crooked gambling: http://korthaj.se/en/texts/

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Geno Munari

Re: Games and crooked gambling

Postby Geno Munari » July 1st, 2012, 8:09 am

What are your sources and do you have a bibliography?

Stefan Nilsson

Re: Games and crooked gambling

Postby Stefan Nilsson » July 1st, 2012, 11:23 am

Hi Geno!

That's a pretty broad question.

The texts don't pretend to present new research on gambling. My goal is merely to write something though provoking that could be of interest to the general public. That's why the texts leave out some details and only contain a few references, mostly to easily accessable sources.

Also, it's not my goal to try to convert anyone who has already decided that they want to believe. :)

The text about monte games is intended as a warning to the general public and doesn't go into much detail. That's why I added the link to Whit Haydn's execellent text at the end.

The text on online poker has two references to some pretty thorugh texts on collusion. Poker bots is a much broader topic and much of the information is not easily accessible to non-experts, but the New York Times piece is pretty good. (Theoretical computer science is my profession.)

Roulette is mathematically trivial and I don't think any mathematician would question this text.

Blackjack is much more complex and there is a vast literature. My understanding of the subject comes from reading the classic texts and from doing extensive computer simulations. My opinion is that some of the books paint too rosy a picture. The books are meant to sell, after all.

Is there something in particular that you would like to know more about or discuss in more detail?

Return to “Link Watch”